The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2012, 01:04 PM   #1
markt99

Light loads in Glock 30

Hey guys.

My EDC is a glock 30. it has had 100% reliability with factory ammo (UMC 230 FMJ for practice and Hornady critical defense 185 gr FTX for carry). I also have shot my reloads through it with rare malfunctions until recently.

I've recently been aiming for a light load that still meets major power factor for IDPA. I shoot IDPA with a full size Kimber but I prefer to stay with one reload recipe for all my pistols for simplicity.

I've found that some of these loads were near 100% failure (Slide not even pushed back at all) in the Glock and probably 10% failure in the Kimber.
I've worked the load up to the following which is 0% failure in the Kimber and 4% failure for the Glock (FTE):

COAL - 1.260

Cases: Mixed
Bullet: Ranier 230 Plated
Primer: CCI 300
Powder: 4.8 gr Bullseye

Mean: 786 fps(Kimber), 714 fps(Glock)
lo: 758 fps(Kimber), 692 fps(Glock)
Hi: 814 fps(Kimber), 748 fps(Glock)
SD: 19 fps(Kimber), 16 fps(Glock)

Would you guys consider it normal that the Glock is more sensitive to light loads than the Kimber? As you can see some of these are down at 692 fps in the Glock even though they average 786 fps in the Kimber.

I've had the Kimber worked on for reliability issues and a trigger job. It had the slide lock replaced, and the full length guide rod was removed (Personal preference)

Could it be something else? The Glock is fairlly new with roughly 800 rounds shot and the Kimber with maybe 1500 shot.

I really don't want to have 2 different 45 ACP loads for these 2 guns, but I don't want to raise the power much more if I don't have to.

Mark
Old March 20, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Hammerhead

It's possible that the remaining 4% failure rate in the Glock is due to the Glock 30's ejection pattern. The round being extracted in a G-30 hits the top round in the mag pretty solidly. If the rounds aren't crimped, the round being ejected catches on the case mouth of the next cartridge at the top of the mag, knocking it off the extractor. That's why SWC's (plated and jacketed) don't work well either. You can expect about a 40% failure rate with SWC's.
It still might be a velocity issue too. Can you use aftermarket springs in IDPA?
Old March 21, 2012, 05:33 AM   #3
markt99

I'm not shooting the Glock in IDPA. I just wanted to avoid 2 different load recipes for my 45s.

I believe my crimp is sufficient but I'll double check. I'm crimping just enough to close the flare in the case. When I make some ammo this weekend I'll measure. I've always done it by eye.
Old March 21, 2012, 09:12 AM   #4
bossman

My Glock-36 will cycle 4.9 Bullseye with a 185 gr Berrys plated bullet. They run about 770 fps avg. low was 745 fps and cycled. It dumps the brass about a foot away so I don't think I could go much lower but it is a nice shooting round.

I'd just bump up the powder grains a little at a time till it cycles the Glock and see how accurate they are.

Another thing you could do is change recoil springs. The Glock 30 and 36 uses a 17 lb spring, check out Wolff springs they offer a 15 lb spring for reduced loads.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.

Last edited by bossman; March 21, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:09 AM   #5
markt99

Thanks guys. I wanna keep the glock as-is spring wise. I carry it with fairly hot Hornady critical defense.

I'll bump the powder and check to see if I could use some more crimp.

Anyone have any suggestions for ideal crimped diameter should be?
Old March 29, 2012, 08:29 AM   #6
markt99

Crimp is .470.

I upped the charge to 5.0 gr and am averaging 810 in the Kimber.

100 rounds through the glock with no issues and 200 rounds through the Kimber with no issues.

Kimber is ejecting straight to the right and glock puts them straight up and forward sometimes and often in my face.

The glock ejects normally with full power and SD ammo so not a big deal for when I practice.

I'm still thinking that the glock 30 is more suited for full power or SD Ammo. Makes sense for a carry gun an that is what I use it for.