The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2014, 09:51 AM   #26
bkfamily1

Auto5 (and others) - how was the cost for insuring your guns through the NRA versus homeowners insurance?
Old February 1, 2014, 09:51 PM   #27
Auto5

Mine is 65.00/year. Dont remember what my regular hoi would have charged.
Old February 13, 2014, 11:26 AM   #28
Sure Shot Mc Gee

National Security. When its locked it stays locked. The only safe I will buy.
Old February 15, 2014, 07:40 PM   #29
leadcounsel

Double/triple your budget, or lower your expectations, or be patient and shop on the used market like Craigslist, and have cash and a truck/lift ready to go get it immediately...

It's like most other products - there is junk entry product, then there's the "sweet spot" product for about twice what the junk costs, and then there's extravagance. Consider a functional self defense handgun. $200 is typically junk. $400-600 is the "sweet spot." And $1000 is typically extravagance. Same with a formidable safe.

Thick steel is not cheap. Hardened locks are not cheap. Shipping is not cheap. Quality fire proofing is not cheap. Expect to spend $1500+ on a quality safe.

Thems the facts.

I also agree, buy larger than you think you need because you will quickly grow into it. It's nice to be able to put things like your laptop or electronics or other valuables in it when you go out of town for the night too.

Guns, coins, jewelry, ammo (which has become quite expensive), magazines (also quite expensive), electronics, documents, etc.

I have Sturdy Safes and am very happy. I've raved about them many times, you can find those links if you do some research on this topic, which comes up every week on forums.

Last edited by leadcounsel; February 16, 2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old February 15, 2014, 08:04 PM   #30
kilimanjaro

You need to double your security budget. If you cheap out, you are wasting money for a false sense of security.
Old February 28, 2014, 10:19 AM   #31
Big4Freedom

Fas1's comment was where I was going too. I would recommend a mechanical lock safe at night stand that wouldn't fail if intruder cuts electricity outside home (step 1 in intruder playbook) or the battery dies when you think it's fine. You could then keep everything else in a large digital lock safe elsewhere. If you're after a 6 gun, then buy a 24 gun safe, or larger, budget permitting. You don't want to buy then in two years have to have other one moved out and new, larger one delivered in its place (like 95% of us have done I imagine).

Stackon makes very economical safes with fire and water protection in $7-800 range to get you started. With that said, for $9-1000, get a Browning safe that has the rifle/shotgun holders in door to triple your space. I so wish that would have been out when I got my safes. That way, you may store paperwork and handguns in shelves at back of safe, using front for long guns. Most safes that don't have this concept waste the first 8-10 inches of safe from top to bottom, side to side.