The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 17, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
chipchip

Henry Big Boy 44mag

Hi there, planning on getting a Henry Big Boy. I keep going back and forth between the 357 and 44 mag. It's just going to be a fun gun , no hunting. Was wondering how the recoil is with a 240 gr 44mag. I know the guns are heavy, would think it would absorb some that recoil. What say you, Thanks
Old February 17, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Guv

I had a 94 Trapper in 44mag and it was a sweet shooting rifle. I'm no Magnum rifle guy, I usually hunt with a 308, 270, or a 30-06 but a rifle seems to take the nasty bugger out of the 44 Magnum. Also my trapper was pretty light wt.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
McShooty

There is the use factor, the cost factor, and the macho factor. Considering use, if not for hunting then either would be fine - no choice. Considering cost, the .357 wins because for fun, you want to shoot it a lot. Under the macho heading, hmm, probably most would say the .44 wins. If Dirty Harry had a lever action carbine, that is what he would have. I do not have the Henry you are talking about but I believe it is heavy for the type. I don't think the recoil would be a problem.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Prof Young

45c little recoil

I have the Henry Big Boy in 45 colt. Really nice gun and the recoil is what I would call slight. It is a heavy gun with that octagonal barrel. Fun gun to shoot and after I got used to it and sighted in I can shoot four inch groups at 100 yards.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old February 23, 2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Ted D

I have the .44 BB the recoil isn't that bad shot 100rds. in 1 setting with no problems.If you are just getting 1 for target shooting check ammo prices.The cheapest .44 mag I can find is 38bucks abox of 50.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:37 PM   #6
qqq1

I had my little puma trapper size 44 out for the first time today. Only fired 20 rounds because it was cold and snowing but it didn't seem bad at all. We'll see how it is when I'm in a tshirt this summer.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Jack O'Conner

You can shoot 44 Special ammo in most 44 MAG firearms. Check with Henry customer service about this option.

Jack
Old February 25, 2013, 11:12 PM   #8
RC20

While recoil is going to be a zero factor with a rifle, I would go with 357

My experience with the 44 was that it was not as accurate as 357 or 41 magnum (which would be my choice if I was buying it and available but probably not). I am not saying 44 mag is bad, just not as much a tack driver as the other two. If its a fun gun I would think accuracy would be the prime goal.

Ammo costs will be lower with 357 and if you reload a lot less (44 take a pretty good powder charge).

I would think you can also shoot 38 special in it (per the above check as I am not into those guns so don't know much about them)

357 is a sweet cartridge for accuracy. Shade better than the 41 mag IMNSHO.

You might check twist rates and see if one is better suited than the other. Some odd twists have been kept for some rounds over the years because of tradition, and not that they were the twist right rate for the cartridge.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:54 AM   #9
aaronsc

I just took my new 44 BB out sunday and it shot great. recoil was not bad and accuracy was decent and i'm no sharpshooter. I bought the 44 because I plan on hunting with mine and I want the knock down factor of the 44 plus it takes the same cartridge as my Ruger SBH.
Either one I think you'll love. They are the smoothest actions I've personally ever worked.

BTW: The Big Boys will fire both the Mag and Special loads of their respective calibers.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:41 AM   #10
gunloony

Recoil in a pistol-caliber carbine?
Irrelevant unless one has very serious health issues or is very small
I had a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum for a while and recoil was about like a 30 carbine - negligible with any ammo I tried.
I am far from immune to recoil, a 50-round match with an M1 is about all the 30-06 I want to shoot in one day, and my S&W Mod 29 in 44 is as much as I want to touch off in a handgun (a Super Blackhawk is more than I want.)