The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2012, 06:32 AM   #1
rebs

cleaned my 45 acp seat, crimp die

The seating plug on my rcbs 45 acp die was full of bullet lube so the seating plug would not screw all the way in. I decided to clean it out and took a wood dowel and pushed about 5 rings of lead stuck in it. I take it this was shaved lead from before I was told by Tim how to adjust it right.
Has anyone else found this in their die ?
I sure hope it was lead and not part of the die ?
Old July 12, 2012, 06:47 AM   #2
1stmar

It was lead, you may want to bell the case mouth a tad more, you may be shaving lead off the sides of the bullet when seating.
Old July 12, 2012, 05:30 PM   #3
BigJimP

I take my dies apart ....as part of my cleaning process ...whenever I change calibers on the press ...or at least every 3,000 rds or so.

Some dies are easier to take apart than others.....but Dillon dies as an example ...come apart with a snap spring clip / makes it real easy ----and I think others have the same design.

Even the decapping pin / resizing die in station 1 comes apart with a pair of wrenches...pretty easy to do...
Old July 13, 2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Lube keeps accumulating almost no matter what, because it is ironed off bullets as they enter the case. When I didn't want to change the adjustment, I've cleaned out seaters by using a long wood stick medical swab (like a long, single-ended Q-tip) wet with a little mineral spirits. That seems to dissolve the lube and the mineral spirits dry off.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle