The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 30, 1998, 12:28 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Political Commentary #1 (and last):

It's quite amazing how Eugene Stoner's AR is endearing itself to us as a people. Back in the 1975, it was a 5.56 mm Colt AR15 ($350) and that was it. Today, Colt is not alone in producing Stoner's rifle (Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic Arms, etc.) and there are more calibers than ever before (9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 7.62x39, .300 Whisper and 7.62x51 Nato). If you don't like your rifle, change it to a red dot sighted carbine or a heavy barrel scoped target gun by changing the upper receiver in less than a minute. The AR has become as versatile as the TC Contender. Caliber, barrel lengths and weights, sights (iron sights, scope, laser, red dot), stock configurations. Take your pick as there is a cottage industry eager meet your needs. Even left handers aren't neglected.

More fascinating is that with the military manual, a vise, two wrenches, a brass hammer, some roll pin punches, headspace gauges, and a few other tools, you can build your own for the price of a sporting rifle ($600). You can buy everything except the lower receiver via email.

The Black Rifle may be accredited for a firearms building rennaisance harkening back to the days when this country was literally served by hundreds of gunsmiths; each of whom was capable of assembling a rifle from parts (besides making their own from scratch, some blackpowder gunsmiths often bought locks from one source and barrels from another and assembled the parts into flintlocks or percussion cap rifles). Common folks who by vocation are not gunsmiths are taking to building ARs with an enthusiasm equalling that of teenagers to cars.

In becoming America's Sweetheart, the AR draws us closer to another legacy left by our forefathers. We may be rediscovering ourselves as a nation of riflemen. Perhaps this is all wishful thinking, but it's good.

Your comments are welcome.

4v50 Gary
Old November 30, 1998, 11:40 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

4V50 Gary
Do you know if anyone else besides DPMS is making left-handed receivers? I've been waiting 6 months for my DPMS upper. Every time I've called them in the last 3 or 4 months I get the now standard 1 or 2 weeks more. I had ordered an upper and a lower but i cancelled the lower and found a used AR and just bought it to fit my DPMS upper if it ever gets built.
Old November 30, 1998, 11:23 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

fal308,

TAPCO use to sell a left handed upper, but I don't know who made it for them. It's not listed in their catalog anymore but you may want to give them a call to find out who made it for them.

Check our link to the AR15 website for more information on ARs

Gary

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited 11-30-98).]
Old December 1, 1998, 10:46 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Thanks 4V50 Gary for the info. Just emailed Tapco. hope to hear from them soon.
Old December 1, 1998, 01:37 PM   #5
David

Gary, has anyone modified the recoil spring assembly so you don't hear that goshawful
SPROING! sound when you pull the trigger?

It sounds cheesy, even on an expensive match rifle.
Old December 1, 1998, 09:37 PM   #6
Jeff White

David,
Put a little Tetra grease on the spring. It will really eliminate that "sproing" sound. Although I kind of like it :-).
Jeff
Old December 1, 1998, 10:09 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks Jeff!

I think David will agree with me that Tetra Grease is much cheaper as an option than ZW's LR 300 gas operated conversion kit.

Gary
Old December 1, 1998, 10:49 PM   #8
Michael Carlin

The AR15 series rifle has certainly made a convert of me. Entered the Army late in 1970. At Ft. Leonard Wood the Drills were (for the most part) extremely professional, and they insisted that the M16A1 was the "finest military rifle ever made". This was "good training" but I had my doubts.

The 'hood back on the block was rife with horror stories of the fielding of the rifle in "da Nam" man!. When I graduated from high school ('68) I had had older friends come back to the world tell me otherwise.

Today the M16A2 is a fine, fine rifle, with the 69 and 77 grain bullets we are shooting scores in the 490s in the NMC (I am not, but that is not the rifles fault! I managed a 451 leg match score at Bridgeville DE this last year when I finally began to develop a decent understanding of positions and zeros for varying conditions).

At the National Matches I had the honor of scoring Jore Bartoli and Jim Ward, juniors from California. Those two young men shot in the mid 480s! That is really something, a .223 shooting 200 300 and 600 yards with 40% of the match at 600 and turning in scores in the 485-490 range.

Not only are more people putting together their own black rifles, but if they use good barrels and are reasonably careful the guns will nearly uniformly shoot. It is common to see the rifles with rack parts turn in 2 minutes of angle. With match barrels MOA is pretty much a given!

I have been in the Army for 27 years of the last 30 years, nearly ten as a drilling reservist, and just over 17 now full time. I did not really like the rifle until the M16A2 was fielded.

Please see my article at:
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished/
blackrfl.html

It will explain in some detail how hard a "sell" I was and the range experience that converted me.

Yes, there are lots of good rifles in the history of mankind, and I think the AR has finally earned its place among those venerated fusils.

For those who prefer a bigger caliber I am inclined to agree, but as long as I have to carry what Uncle buys me, I am pleased with the current rifle. Very pleased.

Yours in Marksmanship

michael

Old December 1, 1998, 11:03 PM   #9
Michael Carlin

Make that link:

http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished/blackrfl.html

michael carlin
Old December 2, 1998, 01:03 AM   #10
ShadedDude

I wanna know where to get a left handed reciver

Anything in this industry for Left Handers is hard to come by.

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old December 2, 1998, 09:16 AM   #11
David

Michael, if it was your choice, what rifle would you carry into a military battle?
Old December 4, 1998, 12:28 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

fal308 & ShadedDude:

I just called DPMS and they have left handed upper receivers in stock! Now you guys can shower those guys on your left with ejected casings. As for myself, I'd like to have an AR that can eject both left or right - just change the bolt head. That way everybody can be pissed.

I also called JP Enterprises (Master Maker of AR Mouseguns). They don't make a left handed upper and the only outfit they knew of is DPMS.

Happy Shooting!

Gary
Old December 4, 1998, 05:12 PM   #13
ShadedDude

Cool!
I'm right handed...but my wife is left handed, and its hard to get rifles for her. She has said in the past that she likes AR's.

DPMS? who/what/when/where/yaknow

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old December 5, 1998, 10:40 AM   #14
fal308
Staff Alumnus

SD www.dpmsinc.com
Their receivers are cast if it's of any concern. I already have a right handed DPMS so after I get my lefty I'll be able to Rambo and piss off everyone on both sides of me Now all (?) I'll need are some belt feed kits for my ARs.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited 12-05-98).]