The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 28, 2013, 07:17 AM   #26
Homerboy

Cmp takes rack grad rifles reparks them and slaps on a new barrel and stock. Don't see what is so special about that. My service grade looks very nice and still has the history behind it
Old December 28, 2013, 07:56 AM   #27
Orlando

Not quite Homer. CMP Takes good receivers and gaged in spec parts, reparkerizes them. Then installs a new Criterion barrel , new boyds stock sets.
It is not rack grade quality and nothing is slapped togetther.
No it does not have collector value but for someone who wants a good accurate shooter this is a good choice
You can also order a Service Grade that you speak of and it can come with a commercial stock
Old December 28, 2013, 06:32 PM   #28
Homerboy

OK. Slight exaggeration on my part, but not a whole lot. New barrel, new stock, new Parkerizing. I don't know, but for me, the whole point to having a Garand is the history. I would never order a rack or field grade because they are generally in worse shape, but putting a barrel made in 2012 on a reciver made in 1952 just doesn't do it for me. I guess if you're gonna shoot it a LOT, the newer barrel is the way to go, though. But if my service grade was good enough for the GI on Iwo Jima or Nornamdy, it's good enough for me. And it's cheaper, too.

And you can request GI wood on a service grade. I did.
Old December 28, 2013, 06:52 PM   #29
NuJudge

Use Boiled Linseed Oil, if you are going to use any of the Linseed oils. It has not actually been boiled, but it dries faster.

A tutorial on web sling usage:
http://www.ray-vin.com/frtech.htm

I bought one of the Specials several years ago, because the 1960's rebuild I had been using in Garand matches did not have a lot of tension when I closed the trigger guard. Such is important for an M1 to shoot well. My scores went up a good bit.

Don't be taking the barreled action out of the stock any more than you absolutely have to.
Old December 29, 2013, 03:43 AM   #30
HiBC

I'll bite.
First,congratulations!!I bought a special about a year ago.I'm happy.Great value.

There is a good book by Hatcher on the Garand.I recommend it.Paperback its $20 something.Try Midway and e-bay.

If you dig around on youtube(if you have problems,ask,I'll find the links) you can find the USGI WW2 Garand marksmanship training films.They are a pretty good training course.They do teach the old belly to the ground prone.There is a newer "Estonian" prone that is accepted as better.Its rolled over on one side with a knee drawn forward.But,WW2 style is not wrong.

Also,on youtube,you can search "Garand web sling"

You might be lucky enough to find a CMP Garand clinic within a few hours drive.Go.

Ammo...No commercial or handloads to hunting specs.

You must feed a Garand ammo that has a pressure curve to match the gas system a Garand was designed for.Slower powder high performance bolt action loads will produce too much gas pressure at the port and bend your op rod.

Generally speaking,that would be bullets between 147 and 175 grains ,powder in the 4895/4064 burn range,and 2600 ish velocities.Search "30-06 Garand loads" and you will find a web page "MasterPo's NRA Garand loads"

It will give you what you need.

Ka ching!

Oh,search "M-1 thumb" on you tube.Its an experince you would prefer to miss!
Old December 29, 2013, 11:13 AM   #31
Ben Towe

A word of caution about linseed oil: rags soaked in it have been known to spontaneously combust, particularly if thrown in a trash can, so be careful.
Old December 29, 2013, 11:36 PM   #32
Billy Shears

Absolutely beautiful. Sending off my paperwork to CMP for another one tomorrow. I love the M1.
Old December 30, 2013, 12:33 AM   #33
Fishbed77

Quote:
I don't know, but for me, the whole point to having a Garand is the history.
A lot of people actually enjoy shooting their Garands (a lot).

And for that, it's hard to beat a CMP Special rifle.