The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 5, 2012, 08:49 AM   #51
pgdion

Options for new pistols would be:

The Stoeger Cougar. Runs $400 but is more than just a good pistol, they're outstanding (but do have the DA/SA trigger setup that isn't for everyone, I prefer it myself). Cougars can be had in 9mm, .40sw, and .45acp.

Smith and Wesson Sigma can be had for $300 new on sale and is available in 9mm and .40sw. Sigmas are not great, but a very good pistol (solid and reliable).
Old June 5, 2012, 08:56 AM   #52
Mystro

Used Glock 17.
Old June 5, 2012, 11:30 AM   #53
S_Constitutionist

S&W 3rd gen

Ruger P series

Both are very tough to beat for the money and available on the used market for pretty cheap.
Old June 5, 2012, 01:36 PM   #54
carguychris

Quote:
Smith and Wesson Sigma can be had for $300 new on sale and is available in 9mm and .40sw. Sigmas are not great, but a very good pistol (solid and reliable).
FWIW the Sigmas have just been replaced by the SD9 VE and SD40 VE, which appear to have slightly more refined slide machining, different sights that look similar to M&P units, and a new and supposedly improved trigger system. MSRP is only $10 higher than the old Sigmas, so their street price should also be ~$300, and IMHO they look a good deal nicer than the Sigmas they replace.

They're different than the previous SD series, which had black slide finish, front night sights, and triggers that were basically similar to the Sigmas but tuned for a lighter pull; the old SDs got the axe a couple of months ago.

Here's a link to S&W's webpage about the SD VE's, although they're already under discussion in another thread:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757751_image
Old June 5, 2012, 06:58 PM   #55
RC20

More votes for the SP2022, as many as I am allowed!

My step dad tried my SP2022 while we were shooting his Browning Hi Power (Chilean made?)

He For wants one now, and he has been a big browing guy.

For the price it can't not only be beat, easily matchs up with guns twice the cost (not better, but as good where the features are a bit better here, or a bit better there)
Old June 6, 2012, 07:04 PM   #56
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris View Post
FWIW the Sigmas have just been replaced by the SD9 VE and SD40 VE, which appear to have slightly more refined slide machining, different sights that look similar to M&P units, and a new and supposedly improved trigger system. MSRP is only $10 higher than the old Sigmas, so their street price should also be ~$300, and IMHO they look a good deal nicer than the Sigmas they replace.

They're different than the previous SD series, which had black slide finish, front night sights, and triggers that were basically similar to the Sigmas but tuned for a lighter pull; the old SDs got the axe a couple of months ago.

Here's a link to S&W's webpage about the SD VE's, although they're already under discussion in another thread:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757751_image
I'm actually pretty interested in these. The Sigma was too cheap to interest me and at $400, the SD was too close in price to the M&P to bother. At the $315-345 the new SD-VE will likely cost, you're actually getting a lot of gun for the price. It may end up being the new low-cost gun to beat.
Old June 7, 2012, 04:40 AM   #57
Master Blaster 2

A very good CC 9 for little cash:
SCCY CPX-1 or CPX2 with no safety

Old June 7, 2012, 02:36 PM   #58
Silent Bob

A few years ago I would say an Argentine FM HI-Power, but I don't see much of them around anymore.
Old June 7, 2012, 05:37 PM   #59
hlds54

Quote:
A few years ago I would say an Argentine FM HI-Power, but I don't see much of them around anymore.
Saw one at a gun show recently.

Tags
ccw , gun , home defense , pistol