The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Clayfish

question about my loads

Ok so i took the plunge and loaded my first lead loads for my CZ 40b in .40s&w. I've been loading for over a year now and have loaded some really good loads for my pistol. I decided to take the plunge and try to load some hard cast lead to save even more. I bought some 165g swc from mastercast and loaded them over 5.8g unique. The loads were accurate and reliable but man did they put out alot of smoke. There was some leading but it was not bad at all. Is the smoke normal for lead or is there something wrong with my loads?
Old January 9, 2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Edward429451

It could be the brand of powder you used or the type of lube on the cast boolit.
Old January 9, 2007, 02:45 PM   #3
rnovi

it's the lube on the bullet, primarily. Switch to a copper plated bullet and you likely won't see any smoke at all.

Secondarily it's the amount of pressure the load develops.

For instance: my light .45 acp loads: 3.3 gr. of Clays, Penn 230 gr. Hardcast RN. Six quick rounds produces a lot of smoke. Titegroup is even worse.

However my hot .357 mag loads over full loads of 2400 smoke very, very little. The powder burns more efficiently and I believe (but could be wrong) that the hotter loads burn off the bullet lube more efficiently as well.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old January 9, 2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Zippy06

Powder and wax on bullets. I used to use Unique. It's doesn't meter, well.
I switched to Titegroup and Power Pistol. PP is hard to fine in my area. Less smoke.
As they said above. Switch bullets.
Midwayusa. Rainier bullets.
Cabela's. Berry's Bullets.
Old January 9, 2007, 09:55 PM   #5
Clayfish

Thanks for the replies. I have loaded alot of plated bullets and have made some really good ones but I wanted to go with lead. I just wanted to know why lead smoked to much. Thanks for helping me understand it's the lube.