The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2000, 08:01 PM   #1
faiello5

Loaded-up my first ever batch of ammo (.45) last night and plan on going to the range tomorrow. I had 5-6 rounds where the primer did not seat deeply enough. I pulled the bullet, emptied the powder and then sprayed penetrating oil in the case. The oil sat overnight and I washed it out today. Can I use the press (Dillon SDB) to carefully remove the primers?

Regards,
Frank

Old July 20, 2000, 08:50 PM   #2
bk40

Frank,

while I have removed live primers using a Rockchucker press...

••••don't do it! Brass is way to cheap to risk the potential injuries••••
Old July 20, 2000, 09:05 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Frank, you probably could have saved yourself some trouble after pulling the bullet and removng the powder by either seating the affected primers manually or running them through your press again. Also, if you don't want to do that, the easiest method to fix them is to simply load each empty shell by hand into your gun and fire it. That shouldn't cause any unsafe situation. It goes without saying that you should do this in a safe area where the noise and smoke won't hurt or startle anyone (wear hearing protection).

As a humerous side note, I had to fire a primer one time since it was pressed in too far and I thought the pellet had crushed. I put the shell in my gun, put on hearing protection, and fired it into a wad of cotton in my basement so the smoke wouldn't escape. When I fired it, I heard my poor dog upstairs jump about 5 feet and slam into the wall trying to get away! So, again, be sure you won't startled anyone when you do it.
Old July 21, 2000, 08:15 AM   #4
TexasRusty

When I want to save the brass I just feed the case into a gun after I have pulled the bullet and powder and shoot the primer. Saves the brass and is a lot safer.

Having said that I have been known to knowck out a live primer with my rockchucker from time to time with no problems. But again it is NOT recomended.
Old July 21, 2000, 08:32 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mal H:
When I fired it, I heard my poor dog upstairs jump about 5 feet and slam into the wall trying to get away! So, again, be sure you won't startled anyone when you do it.[/quote]

Wow! I wonder how high he would jump if a BIGGGGGGGG firecracker went off? I Tried it with my dog one time and he almost needed a heat shield for re-entry, he gained so much altitude