The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

View Poll Results: How do you approach rifle, pistol, and shotgun competetion?
I view it as a type of training. I use the weapon and equipment i'd use if i needed to defend myself on the street/in the wilderness. 29 53.70%
it's a game, and has no bearing on real life. I have specialized guns and equipment for each game. 8 14.81%
I'm primarily intrerested in having fun. I like to use a hodgepodge of weapons and equipment, and I'm not concerned with winning. 18 33.33%
I like to win. my pistol costs more than a ferrari, and the only part that came from the box i bought the gun in originally is the frame. i have special shoes, my holster cost more than a hundred dollars, and my gun requires batteries. 4 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28, 2002, 01:29 AM   #1
Andrew Wyatt

How do you approach competetion?

I was just kinda curious about how people view rifle,shotgun and pistol competetion.
Old June 28, 2002, 04:41 AM   #2
yankytrash

A little of both #1 & #3. Had to go vote #3, because I don't carry 4-5 mags at a time in real life, and my holster in real life is much more secure.

I compete only with myself. I do it for the fun of it, and to prove to myself that I can use my daily carry pieces effectively. I don't see an IPSC racegun in my future, but I'm not saying I'll never use one in competition.

For the more serious stuff, I just train back at my range, with real equipment.
Old June 28, 2002, 05:04 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

MINOR CLARIFICATION

My 'guns' are not 'weapons' until I use them as such.
Old June 28, 2002, 09:33 AM   #4
Jeeper

I view t as a chance to improve my general gun handling ability. Although I don’t use the guns I carry I still believe that it makes me better equipped to handle street situations.
Old June 28, 2002, 10:16 AM   #5
Ceol Mhor

Depends on the competition. Cowboy action shooting is just pure fun (well...maybe practice rapidly loading and shooting my coach gun could be considered practical). Bullseye pistol is to improve my shooting across all areas. IDPA (once I get into it) is for practical skills.
Old June 28, 2002, 10:57 AM   #6
Correia

Ok, I'm a bit weird. But I check #1 because that is the closest.

I compete so that I can shoot better if I ever need to. I use my carry gun, and realistic equipment.

But at the same time I still recognize that shooting games are just that, games. They are not 100% realistic, but I think they are great practice.

And I don't ever win. But I sure want to!
Old June 28, 2002, 12:09 PM   #7
garrettwc

Ditto what Correia said.
Old July 7, 2002, 12:02 AM   #8
PATH

While it does serve a training function I still shoot primarily because it the best thing other than sex. Hell, it is fun!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old July 11, 2002, 01:03 PM   #9
smoney

well, i would probabally be considered by you as the last one,

i view competition as a way of bringing out the best, a way to push my self to be a better shooter and gun handler, i LOVE to win, but i can have fun without winning,

i shoot competitively because i like the people, its fun, its a game, i don't get all caught up in "tactical" shooting at a match, it IS a game.

i shoot a beretta elite 2 from a wilson practical, trigger job done on the gun, use high cap mags downloaded etc. however i also CCW a beretta holster is just different (IWB)

so i dont' really fit in there anywhere specifically.
Old July 11, 2002, 05:36 PM   #10
fed168

It is a bit of training, but I do it more for fun. I shoot good old PPC, and enjoy seeing fellow coworkers, engaging in friendly competition, just having a good time.
I have a fair amount of awards now, so it is for fun.
Old July 11, 2002, 07:09 PM   #11

I would have a hard time fitting myself into any of those catagories. I love the competition, and I seriously try to win. But at the same time, I don't try to buy a win. I get a bigger kick out of using a bone stock gun, not because it is more realistic but because I never get serious enough about any one of the sports to jump through all the custom gun hoops. I also like to keep in the spirt of the particular game, for example in IDPA I shoot a legal gun from concealment; a rig that I could (but don't) actually carry. I don't really carry, so I just pulled a gun out of the safe that I seldom shoot and decided to use it just because I have it and now found a good use for it. I have tried a number of the shooting sports; IDPA, IPSC, bowling pins, small bore silhouette, some vintage military rifle matches, trap, sporting clays etc. I feel that my participation in them improved my overall shooting greatly. The fact that they are a game doesn't detract from this in any way. I find competition a whole lot of fun. I enjoy it no matter how good or bad I do, and have never spent a lot of money on any of it.

As a side bar, I was thinking about this the other day. As I mentioned, I dabble in various shooting sports. My work schedule doesn't allow me to get real serious about any of them because I can only make maybe half the local matches. Since I can't make most of the matches, I tend to lose interest and shoot whatever I can. Anyway, I have noticed that I usually do great the first time I show up. I have even either won or placed in the top couple people in my first match. Then as I become enthused about it; read about it, start worrying about my equipment and loads, I tend to do worse or not improve. There is something about that first time that brings out the best in me, then I try to out-think myself. Try to get into too many gimmicks.......... I just found that interesting and wondered if anyone else had this same experience.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old July 16, 2002, 11:56 AM   #12
vetts1911

Off questions

I feel that your questions said the same thing. Here is how most people and I feel that shoot around here.

It is a shooting disipline IPSC or IDPA you don't really know how you will confront any style of defense. You surely won't be briefed. I feel the main reasons are.

A fun.

B Good trigger time that equals good handling of the gun saftey wise and good hits.

C I like to win but, it is a lot of fun.

D training you get to learn some good tips like how the gun that you thought would run does not and how a little pressure affects you.

Chris