The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 17, 2008, 08:02 AM   #1
noelf2

Old replica .31 Baby Dragoon, problems

I have an old (probably made in the 60's or 70's) baby dragoon that I've had since I was a teen ager. Bought it from a friend for about 30 bucks if I remember correctly. It's one of those FIE Italy marked replicas. I've had it packed up for years but got it out yesterday to check it out (I never shot it, but it has obviously been used). No rust or pitting but the barrel is leaded pretty bad (I can handle that). Problem is that the base pin (on the wedge slot end) doesn't fit snugly into it's hole in the barrel assembly, which causes the barrel to jiggle around a bit even with the wedge pin inserted. I think the base pin is a bit worn. I used a small paper shim in the base pin hole on the barrel when pushing the barrel onto the base pin and that eliminated the slop/jiggling but I sure don't want to shoot it that way.

Anyone know how to remove the base pin from the frame assembly (is it threaded)? Is there a place to get parts that will work on these old FIE guns?
Old April 17, 2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Hawg

Probably just need a new wedge. I don't know for sure who made the FIE's but FIE for the most part imported the cheapest stuff they could get. Even Pietta back then weren't very good quality. It should have a manufacturers mark on it to identify who actually made it but most repros do follow the originals fairly close so a wedge for Uberti or Pietta should work with maybe some minor fitting.
Old April 17, 2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Deadguy

It probably is a Pietta, as all the Piettas that I have say "FIE. Pietta" on them.The "Pietta" is probably obscured or worn off.
Old April 17, 2008, 10:58 AM   #4
noelf2

The bottom of the backstrap just says FIE Italy, but there is also a capital P with a capital R kind of super-imposed on the P just before the FIE. There's not really any wear on the gun. All of the engraving on the brass and steel are perfect (as is the engraving and condition of the cylinder). The gun's action is smooth and crisp. There is a tiny stamp on the right side of the frame assembly (which is brass) that looks like a little square and the letters PN next to it (will confirm those letters when I get home and look at it again). If I can find out the maker, I will probably part out the gun. All parts look good except for the base pin doesn't fit snug to the barrel. Don't really think a new wedge would fix it because I've handled other colt replicas with the wedge out, and the barrel didn't jiggle on the base pin. This gun definitely isn't worth spending much money on, but someone could sure use the small parts. It would be interesting to see if the cylinder would fit on a uberti or pietta 1848/9 pocket or baby dragoon.
Old April 17, 2008, 12:42 PM   #5
mykeal

I think the letters preceding 'Pietta' are actually 'F.ILLI', not 'FIE'.
Old April 17, 2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Deadguy

You're right. I must be getting a case of CRS!
Old April 17, 2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Hawg

The PN under a star and the shield under a star are Italian proof house stamps. It will have a set of Roman numerals or two letters in a box as a date code. RP is not a date code. RP as a manufacturer doesn't ring a bell and I can't find anything on it. There were several companies making repros in the 60's and 70's that are no longer in business.