The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 22, 1999, 05:13 PM   #1
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

How the HECK does ones disassemble one of these things??????

( a freind gave me one of these to evaluate/clean and its in well worn but mechanically sound) IE Still dry fires, but bluing/carehardening well worn, scratched etc.) Probably not worth more than $50 in current condition.

Its a about a 1935-1951 era gun and has no visable dissasembly points , save a drift pin hidden by the grip panels... any thoughts????

Dr.Rob
Old November 22, 1999, 11:23 PM   #2
Rod WMG

Dr. Rob,

I can't remember the designation of the Colt .25 ACP, but the Astra succeeded it (wasn't one of them the "Cub"?), and I think the guns were made for Colt for a time by them. I have an FIE "the Best" which is supposed to have been made on the same machinery. Now, if all that's true, lock the slide back and turn the exposed barrel until it unlocks and comes out. Release the slide (holding on to it, of course! ) and it's done.

If it's like mine, it's pretty simple. Hope this helps.
Old November 23, 1999, 12:34 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Dr. Rob, Rod means the Junior. There are some differences in it and the Vest Pocket models. If you'll either post or e-mail me with which one you have I'll send you complete instructions. The VP has a grip safety, the Jr. doesn't. George
Old November 23, 1999, 12:43 PM   #4
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

George yes its a vest pocket model with the grip safty. Please e-mail me at [email protected]

(PS any idea where to get a parts list for this thing? Its missing the slide spring, apparently a cop took the gun apart for the owner and reassembled it without the spring dooh!)

thanks again,

Dr.Rob
Old November 23, 1999, 10:04 PM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

It's on the way, Doc. George
Old November 27, 1999, 04:11 PM   #6
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

thanks again.. got it all apart and cleaned and it looks solid other than the missing part.. given the aprox value I think i'm gonna buy it and have it re-blued should i scrub off the remaining finish or let the smith do it?? How can I safely remove the old bluing??

Would you recommend a re-blue or a nickel finish??

I doubt I'd ever carry this lil pipsqueak.. more of a conversation piece than anything.. but it would be neat to have the smallest colt to display next to the largest.

Thanks again,

Dr.Rob

Old November 27, 1999, 04:59 PM   #7
Grayfox

Dr. Rob,
Don't be so fast to hide it away. If the gun proves reliable, a tiny .25 makes an excellent choice for certian social occasions when carrying a gun is not an option. Remember the first rule of gunfighting: Have a gun.
Old November 28, 1999, 12:22 AM   #8
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Dr. Rob, let a smith do it. I've seen way too many guns with corners rounded off, lettering all but gone and gone in several cases. You'll be much happier having it done. If you don't have anyone local, I'd be happy to do it for you. Just e-mail me. George
Old November 29, 1999, 02:44 PM   #9
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Thanks for all the info george..

PS the lil pistol will be making a trip to Qualite' pistol & revolver of Denver colorado for a re-bluing.

Grayfox.. yeah i guess SOME gun is better than NONE but this is also THE pistol which gave the 25 acp its horrible reputation. I'm not even sure what the "RIGHT" load for this lil damsel would be... Frangibles in a 25 seem like a waste of time, and the 25 doesn't even penetrate that much in fmj trim.. what WOULD you put in this six shot mini???

Dr.Rob

PS.. i'll open a new thread in Pistols as well...

Dr.Rob