The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2007, 03:52 PM   #1
ShootingNut

Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure

Just started using the Lee Classic Turret Press, with their Pro Auto-Disk Powder option. Anyone else find that using the disk hole per their Die chart,
that the powder doesn't scale what is shown?
Loading .40 SW and their chart showed .34 disk cavity, for 5.5 grains of
Accurate #5. Digital scale only weighed it in at 4.8? So, went up to
the .40 powder hole, to scale 5.8 grains.
Apparently, those charts that come inside their Deluxe Die sets are not right on the nuts? Anyone else find this? New to loading, so any input will be most appreciated.
Old March 12, 2007, 03:57 PM   #2
jdmick

The Lee charts could be described as a conservative guide only. If you weigh some charges you don't have to worry about having to go up a size or two. The main thing is consistency. I've found mine to be very consistent, even with Unique. Lower charges can be trickier though.
Old March 12, 2007, 04:02 PM   #3
ShootingNut

jdmick,
Thanks, then the bottom line is really weighing in within the "start" and "Max" load shown by the powder maker? With all the various combo's of powder brands/type/etc., I guess Lee can't have an exact powder disk hole for everything out there.
Old March 12, 2007, 04:40 PM   #4
benedict1

If you check the instructions you'll find that they also allow for variations in powder density from lot-to-lot. That can change 10% or more. So, ALWAYS weigh and check what a particular cavity throws when you open a new container of powder.

The chart is a very rough, conservative guide.
Old March 12, 2007, 05:27 PM   #5
ShootingNut

benedict1

Thank you, for the info and advice!
Old March 12, 2007, 05:35 PM   #6
CrustyFN

I have found that I have to go up 1 or 2 disk sizes more that what the chart says. I also bought a charge bar for the pro auto disk because sometimes you can't get the charge weight you really want. Just be careful with the charge bar if you are trying to throw a light charge. I had trouble trying to throw less than 3 grains of Titegroup and I think Benedick had trouble with less than 4 grains of Unique.
Rusty
Old March 12, 2007, 06:20 PM   #7
RERICK

I had the same problem with Power Pistol. I was getting a charge of 5.5 when I was suppose to be getting 6 grains.Then like you I went to the next size and I dot a charge of 6.4 grains. So I got some graphite powder and rubbed it in the cavity on the disk after that I got 5.9 grains. If you need to be more exact I would get the adjustable disk. I bought it and lube it also. It worked like a charm. I to think the chart is just a rough estimate. Just make sure that you weigh the first five or so charges before you charge any cases. I'm not sure why but the first few are all usually different and then it will throw consistently after that. I also put an RCBS baffle in the hopper on the recommendation of a post a while back. I had to bend it a little to make it fit but it worked out fine. I think that the graphite and the baffle together is why I get consistent charges. Its like day and night compared to the first time I used it.
Old March 13, 2007, 01:21 AM   #8
James A. Mullins

I have had the same thing happen. It varys with different powders. As above lubing the disc with powdered graphic makes a world of difference. I have bought 5/6 of them, and have four set on four different calibers on P.W Metalmatic heads. The others I use on single stage RBC. ROCKCHUCK.
James
Old March 13, 2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, it's the lot-to-lot density variations that are natural with a cannister-grade powder.

Cannister-grade powders are created by combining multiple production lots of powder in different proportions. This combining process gives repeatable ballistic properties that allow the information in a loading guide to remain viable for years.

If the companies didn't blend powders to achieve consistent burning characteristics you'd need a different loading manual for each and every production lot of powder, and using loading information from production lot A for powder from production lot C could be potentially dangerous.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 14, 2007, 09:28 AM   #10
tomf52

My Lee Pro Auto Disk throwas very consistent charges usually varying no more than a tenth of a grain. More commonly about 1/100th of a grain.
Old March 14, 2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Musketeer

Mine throws very consistent with Unique for my 45LC and Blue Dot for my 10mm. It does NOT mactch the manual though. I used the Lee manual to get close and then tweaed up and down from there (pain with detaching and reattaching the powder holder!). Once set though it throws fine with minimal variation.

I also always check the weight on the first couple throws and then intermittently through the batch.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old March 14, 2007, 01:11 PM   #12
swmike

I have several extra discs for my LEE Autodisk measure. In order to dial in my favorite load for my pistol target loads I just took the recommended disc cavity and opened it up with a twist drill until it dropped the load I wanted. I first found a drill that fit the cavity and went up 1/64th inch at a time until I got what I was looking for. I work the bits by hand in a large tap handle. After opening the cavity, I use the un-fluted portion of the bit to burnish inside surfaces of the cavity. To keep powder grains from sticking, I just take a #2 pencil and rub the lead over the entire inner surface of the cavity.

Takes a little time but then I am good to load many thousands of rounds with the same load. Just mark the disc with a dremel on the edge for which cavity is modified and what the load is. Need to change? Discs are cheap.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".