The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2001, 11:46 PM   #1
Moe

Glock damage only 2175 rds!!!

The gun is a model 17 in 9mm. I have not used any +p ammo and only fmj was used.

The slide is getting peened at each side of the slide at the area of just inboard of the slide rails about the mid length of the slide.

It seems to be frome my opinion be comming from the locking block smashing the slide from some sort of flexing or? The damage is not bad enough to cause any problem... yet.

The block is not loose and there is no other thing I can think of that could be doing this. I have looked to see the relative position of the block the the slide and it would seem that the damage happens before or shortly after the slide begines to moove backwards.

Your advise please.
Old November 5, 2001, 02:10 AM   #2
slickpuppy

The peening is normal.
Old November 5, 2001, 08:02 AM   #3
Clayton

This isn't damage. As mentioned above, it is completely normal. I have owned five Glocks, and all of them showed the same wear marks you mention. No big deal.

www.glockmeister.com
Old November 5, 2001, 11:43 AM   #4
Moe

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that on one side the metal has bulged inboard slightly from the peening. It does not impead the outside of the chamber but contact is made before the chamber makes contact with the inside wall of the slide.

Should I take a light swipe with a fine file, leave it, or take a hike to the gunsmith?

Thanks again guys.
Moe
Old November 5, 2001, 11:52 AM   #5
Fred

Leave it alone. As mentioned above, it's normal, and when it reaches a certain point, will stop any additional peening. Go shoot it, and have fun.
Old November 5, 2001, 11:32 PM   #6
IZZY

Yah, I worried about that on mine too. (Also a 17)...I have used Hot loads...then at the freindly gun shop I looked at a new only test fired glock tweenty something in .357Sig. It too had some pings on the bottom of the rails, tho less than my used 17.

We concluded it's normal.
Old November 6, 2001, 12:04 AM   #7
exilefromhell

whats peening?
Old November 6, 2001, 04:56 AM   #8
Bowser

"Peening" is a word used to show that Glocks are perfect and nothing bad ever happens to them. In fact, Gaston designed Glocks to wear, oops, I mean "peen", just so the shiny bits would look cool.

When talking about guns that are not Glocks, please feel free to use words such as "wearing", "rubbing", "grinding", "flaking" etc. Under no circumstances are these terms to be used to describe and "problems" with Glocks. Glocks after all, are perfect.

Bowser.
Old November 6, 2001, 01:02 PM   #9
Moe

Peening is what happens when metal is pounded on and the results is the metal not only dents in but moves out from the point of impact.