The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Stressfire

Missouri 125gr with Bullseye load

Wanted to run a loading past you all just to double-check as to safety - performance has yet to be tested.

Had very good performance from 4.8 grains of Bullseye under a 115 Hornady FMJ with a OAL of 1.13. No signs of excess pressure and good function. Due to expense, however, I went to lead and due to curiosity, I went to a heavier 125 grain bullet.

I worked up a couple last night, keeping the 1.13 OAL and loading a set with 4.5 & 4.7 of Bullseye under a Missouri 125 grain cast bullet.

My Beretta seems to prefer "hotter" loadings, but I want to stay within the realm of safety. I do not have the equipment to test pressure - so, what do you think?
Old August 12, 2012, 01:09 AM   #2
BDS-THR

If you have not, I would recommend you do a barrel drop test with the Missouri 125 gr RN bullet (SmallBall) as it has shorter, rounder nose profile that requires shorter OAL than typical 9mm 115 gr FMJ nose (Winchester 115 FMJ / MBC 125 RN).

I usually load the MBC 125 gr RN bullet at 1.080"-1.100" OAL as longer typical 115/124 gr FMJ OAL of 1.125"-1.135" may allow the bearing surface of the bullet to hit the start of rifling (see comparison picture below). Also take into consideration that shorter OAL will seat the bullet slightly deeper, increasing the chamber pressure a bit.

Here's 2004 Alliant load data for Bullseye:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004 9mmBE.jpg (30.8 KB, 92 views)
Old August 13, 2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Stressfire

Hi, BDR

I actually have that OAL pic printed off at home

As I do, because my range is about an hour away and I can really only get there 1 say a week, I worked up several different loadings between the starting load and a bit under maximum and tried them all. No, trial and error might not be the best way to do things, but it's what I can do with available time and equipment.

What I found to work the best accuracy-wise was:
125gr MBC
4.5 BE powder
1.13 OAL (Beretta liked 115gr at this length, so I thought I'd try it)

I was putting rounds inside of 2-3 inches at 25 yards - I don't think I can ask for better than that.

Would anyone with QuickLoad would be willing to run the details on this through?

Last edited by Stressfire; August 13, 2012 at 09:43 AM.