The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2000, 09:15 AM   #1
45automan

Hey guys Ihave a Moss Mavrick 12 ga,18.5in barrel synthetic stocks. Now this is the first gun i ever bought when i turned 18 and being both young and a newbie i bought what i could afford at the time. Many have said this gun is a POS is this true? I use 00buck and slugs in it and have no problems. Also i want to get a new shotgun so Rem 870, Win1300 or Moss 500? I keep 00buck handy for home use. The man at the gun shop said i was nuts. Said it would go through the BG and about 3 walls and end up in my nieghbors house. Is this BS? Whats a good HD load if not 00 buck? Thanks for any help,45automan
Old September 21, 2000, 12:06 PM   #2
maxinquaye

Automan - I live in a densely populated area, in an apartment. I keep birdshot in for the first 2 rounds - it is highly deadly at ranges of less then 20 feet or so, but should not go through as many walls. That's about the longest shot I would have to make in my small 2 bedroom anyway! Have 000 loaded after that - logic being that if 2 rounds of birdshot does not stop him, it's time to move to "drastic" measures.

I am thinking about buying some of the "mini" shotshells Aguila makes - if I can find anyone who has used them in a 590A1 - as they are advertised as lower power. 4 000 rounds at a bit lower velocity sounds like just the trick. Plus, at 1.5 inches long each, my 8 shot turns into a 14 shot! Woo Hoo!

BTW, I would highly recommend the 590A1 - it's a great gun!
Old September 21, 2000, 04:10 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lots of old threads about HD shotguns, automan, a little research will show you plenty of input.

As for the Maverick, I don't know of any good or bad about same. If it goes bang every time the trigger's pulled, and only then, it's OK.

I prefer the 870, but if all I had was a Mossy or Winchester, I'd do OK.
Old September 22, 2000, 11:45 PM   #4
LiquidTension

The Maverick is basically a scaled down (cheaper) version of a 500. As Dave said, as long as it's reliable there's nothing wrong with it. Personally I'd prefer a 500/590 or an 870 because accessories are easier to find. I have a Mossberg Cruiser (20" bbl, 8 shot, heat shield) with a fiber optic sight that I use for HD. Only reason I went with that over the 870 is because it was cheaper (I wanted the Marine Magnum...can have 2 Cruisers for the price of that). If they had been the same price with the same options, I woulda picked the 870 just because it's so much easier to take apart and clean than the 500. The 590 is also an excellent shotgun and will be the next purchase after the MM (and hopefully the .50BMG - no, not using that one for HD!). I guess what I'm saying is that they're all excellent firearms, so just pick one that feels right with the options you want in your price range.