The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 22, 2013, 12:47 AM   #26
BumbleBug

I say buy a good used rifle...

Look for a good used rifle & don't buy junk. A rem 700 or win 70 or Ruger 77 or Sav 110 & you can't go wrong. I have found that a lot of used rifles have not really been used very much at all, they just been sitting around a long time.

Try to buy from a guy that buys his ammo. Just think what it would cost to buy enough factory ammo to shoot a rifle out!

FWIW...

..bug
Old April 22, 2013, 01:25 AM   #27
BigTex308

Re: Looking at low cost bolt action guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBug View Post
Look for a good used rifle & don't buy junk. A rem 700 or win 70 or Ruger 77 or Sav 110 & you can't go wrong. I have found that a lot of used rifles have not really been used very much at all, they just been sitting around a long time.

Try to buy from a guy that buys his ammo. Just think what it would cost to buy enough factory ammo to shoot a rifle out!

FWIW...

..bug

This x1,000!!!!!

You'll be a million times better with a used remmy700 or ruger77 than with a brand new ruger American. I don't care who you are! Or what people say.

Ike
Old April 23, 2013, 01:03 PM   #28
TB9

ive always been a big fan of the savage model 110 in .270 & 30-06 with iron sights and a good scope. but that new hog hunter of thiers has got my attention esp. in .308 but i dont think im gonna be buying any new rifles for now, other stuff needs attending right now.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:06 PM   #29
imp

What do you really want from a rifle? People that complain about the Ruger American feels cheap are the same type that could buy a 200mph Ferarri for $20,000 and complain that it dosent have leather seats. Its not meant to compete with a presentation grade model 70, it just supposed to shoot like one. I, for one, am happy to live in a time where performance can be had at a low price.

As for the used guns, might be a good option, and you might get stuck with a lemon that someone else already got rid of too. Not all old rifles were winners
Old April 23, 2013, 06:55 PM   #30
Scout

I really like the Stevens 200. It's a Savage 110 without the accutrigger. Mine in .243 was sub MOA out of the box with Federal Power Shok 80 grain soft points.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:57 AM   #31
Rifleman1776

Even with all our concerns about gun regulation, it is overlooked that we are very fortunate that quality rifles can still. be purchased at very reasonable prices.
My Mod. 70, Ranger version 30-06, was purchased 20 years ago for $180.00. It is topped with a $3.00 yard sale scope. It has won me many competitions and brought home the meat. Except for braggin' beauty, it is as fine a rifle as one could ask for. And U.S.A. made.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:59 AM   #32
btmj

It hasn't been mentioned here yet, so I must:

The Weatherby Vanguard with synthetic stock is slightly more money than some of the others being discussed, but it is a very good rifle. Very accurate for the money.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:56 PM   #33
elund

Go with a Remington 700 used or new. The new ones are great rifles. They have the same actions that they always had. Finishes are different on some models but the CDLs, BDLs, stainless versions all have very good finishes.

But the actions are very good.

The Ruger American feels flimsy to me.

Someone made the point to not go cheap. I agree with that. You will be buying something, that if properly maintained, should last forever. Spend a couple hundred more and get a good, solid rifle with a great legacy. In five/ten years, you will be glad you did.
Old April 24, 2013, 04:10 PM   #34
breakingcontact

Re: Looking at low cost bolt action guns.

I've heard very little positive about new Remington's, 700s, 870s and 1100s.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:11 PM   #35
Cowboy_mo

+1 for the Weatherby Vanguards

Look around for a series 1. Cabelas, Basspro, and several others were clearing these out for less than $400 to make room for the new series 2 with the 2 stage trigger. I have a series 1 that will shoot less than 1 moa when I do my job. I did replace the trigger with a Timney but I'm finicky about triggers and in all honesty it shot 1 moa before the trigger change.

Another very good inexpensive rifle (less than $500) if you look around is the Thompson Center Venture. I have one of them in 30-06 and again it will shoot 1 moa or less with factory ammo if I do my job.

I also own a Winchester Model 70 in .243 win that I purchased used. It cost a little less than the Venture or the Vanguard purchased new, but not by a lot.

I hear a lot of guys suggest pawn shops for good buys. However, in my area the pawn shops aren't that great. Around here (about 50 miles from St. Louis) they price their good used guns high and don't really want to negotiate much. My bad luck
Old April 25, 2013, 09:32 PM   #36
reynolds357

I bought a Ruger American in .243Win just to have one to play with and to have a rifle to beat up hunting. I like everything about it EXCEPT the stock. Working up loads off a mechanical rest, I have found the rifle is scary accurate. Put the rifle in real world hunting scenarios, and the crappy stock begins to greatly hurt that accuracy. I usually shoot my hunting rifles from a bulls bag to see how variables in stock pressure will effect accuracy. It is devisdating to the American. If you use the rear bag to put even the least amount of torque on the Americans stock the tight group turns into flyers everywhere. I love the rifle, but as soon as I find a good aftermarket stock I am purchasing it. If I dont find one soon, I am going to stiffen the forearm up on the factory one. Ruger needs to take a lesson from Wby. and offer a crappy stock and a good stock on their entry level rifles.
Old April 28, 2013, 02:21 PM   #37
Rmart30

I prefer Remington 700's but a 223 Savage axis is one of the most accurate rifles I have owned.
Old April 28, 2013, 07:04 PM   #38
reynolds357

In my experience accuracy of 700's are hit or miss. Some are tack drivers and some are dogs.