The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 24, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Gun shows

What is your general impression of the shops on these gun shows? Gunsmoke and Red Jacket. I like the shows and enjoy them but they kind of seem like hacks that are only assembling IMO. Do you think its just the work they show on TV or is that what the shops are all about? I am 2nd Gen machinist and have been in the industry for 20 years so maybe I look at it differently.
Old April 24, 2012, 10:49 AM   #2
CowTowner

I'm not a gunsmith nor do I play one on TV.
But I do recall an episode of American Guns (Gunsmoke?) where they actually built from raw stock a replica Colt SSA for a preacher that was a SAS member.
I call that doing more than changing parts and assembling.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 24, 2012, 11:29 AM   #3
BoogieMan

HAAS automation came in and programmed the machine for them. They did nothing more than push the button and then polish it out afterwards.
Maybe my wife is right about me being to critical. So far the only craftsman I have seen on TV was Jessie James.
Old April 24, 2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Jerry45

I watched several episodes of Son's of Guns/Red Jacket. It was so “stupid” I couldn’t/can’t bear to watch anymore. They seem to keep trying to reinvent the wheel. And so! I’ve never bother to watch any similar shows.
Old April 25, 2012, 06:01 AM   #5
BoogieMan

Quote:
I watched several episodes of Son's of Guns/Red Jacket. It was so “stupid” I couldn’t/can’t bear to watch anymore. They seem to keep trying to reinvent the wheel. And so! I’ve never bother to watch any similar shows.
To me its just entertaining to watch how people get all flustered while the boss is picking on them.
They turn out some real crap. They were so happy that they integrated a stun gun to a AR (?). All they did was use a couple of U bolts. My 14 y/o kid would have done a better job.
I did however like the Zombie episode and the bull pup stock setup for the 10/22.
Old April 25, 2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan
To me its just entertaining to watch how people get all flustered while the boss is picking on them.
They turn out some real crap. They were so happy that they integrated a stun gun to a AR (?). All they did was use a couple of U bolts. My 14 y/o kid would have done a better job.
I did however like the Zombie episode and the bull pup stock setup for the 10/22.
The last one I watched, with a coworker, they had a ball and cap pistol with something in the bore. I had just finished explaining how I'de get whatever was in the bore out when “The Boss” blew out a patch by blowing compressed air through the cap nipple. He was sooooo proud he exclaimed, that’s why I get paid the bog bucks. I exclaimed, to my coworker, guess I should be making the big bucks.

If I want to see people making arses of themselves there are lots of “real” comedy shows on TV. Two and a Half Men, now that was funny.
Old April 26, 2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Gunplummer

Boogiman,

If we are talking about the same Jesse James, I was going through the channels and watched him make a fender with an old (Definitely not OSHA approved) auto hammer. That takes talent just to keep all your fingers!
Old April 26, 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Rifleman1776

I watch them both because they are fun and interesting and involve guns in a generally favorable light. But, they are TV entertainment and I keep that in mind.

Quote:
But I do recall an episode of American Guns (Gunsmoke?) where they actually built from raw stock a replica Colt SSA for a preacher that was a SAS member.
I saw that episode. You weren't watching carefully. At one point they were delayed because they had to order parts. Not a "from scratch" build at all. Plus the price they charged was out of the world ridikolous. They could have tuned and customized a dozen Colts for that price.
But, the girls are cute.