The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 6, 2004, 11:16 AM   #1
rustylp

buck fever

Last year was my first year for deer hunting. the only gun i had was a 6.5mm cacarno and a 12 gauge shot gun, so after ordering some bulllets for the 6.5mm from norma i ended up selling that gun to much money $33 buck a box. so anyway im suck with my 12guage using 2"3/4 slugs by win. man with that cannon and the 12 point buck i was looking at it was hard to keep my gun steady i think i got the worst case of buck fever in history, ya i missed any way im going to some pulbic land near lawrence ks for the early season oct 16 to 24 i bought a .243 savage mabee ill have some better luck this year cant wait just hope i dont get to much of the fever
Old October 6, 2004, 04:52 PM   #2
beardking

Hopefully I won't be afflicted with that same problem in a couple of weeks. I'll be going to SE OK for my first trip deer hunting and I'll be going during muzzle loader season. Just got my brand spanking new CVA Hunterbolt Magnum last night. Going this weekend to see if I can hit the broadside of a barn with it. Good luck on your trip.
Old October 15, 2004, 09:22 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

Rusty, I feel ya - damn, a 12 pointer - maybe he'll come around again this year - good luck. Beardking, this is also my first year to hunt with bow and first year to hunt muzzleloader as well. Also in Eastern OK (far northeast Pittsburgh county). Congrats on your CVA - I just got the NEF sidekick 50 myself - gonna sight in an play with it at the range this weekend, to get ready for opening of muzzleloader next weekend (Oct 23).
Old October 15, 2004, 09:26 AM   #4
beardking

Well, I didn't get to go sight in the CVA last weekend, blasted rain. I'm hoping for better weather this weekend. Either way, I'll be at the range a good portion of this weekend because I've got to get used to this gun. My first time setting up a scope on anything, so I'll need all the help I can get. ;-)

Oh, and I'm glad you are going to Pittsburg county, that's one less hunter for me to compete against. ;-) I'll be down near Broken Bow.
Old October 23, 2004, 01:52 AM   #5
hawk44

Hunting with a muzzleloader

just got a newer inine muzzle loader made by Traditions, it's called the Evolutions LD in .50 cal. has a 26" fluted and ported barrel standard along with a loading crown that you can ease your bullets into instead of having to have a jack hammer to get them started. I used several diff brands and weights and successfully chose the CVA Powerbelt line of bullets that does not use sabots, but uses a gas check on the underside of the bullet base that drops off a the crown exit to me, it's one of the more practical inlines to hunt with and not only looks good............it perfoms Great..........i will not hesitate to try one at 200 yds a way provided it was an appropriately clear shot..........this gun just keeps on giving. It is very easily on you to fire all 150grs of powder behind your bullet, the porting on the barrel tames the rock and roll of the barrel and also definitely aids in the accuracy of your shot placement................less kick - more confidence........happy shooting, may you be safe and successful.

Hawk44

any weapon hits what it is aimed at, only shooters hit what "they" are aiming at
Old October 30, 2004, 12:54 AM   #6
rustylp

hawk all this talk about using a muzzle loader

This makes me want to buy one for turkey hunting. I saw a guy on OLN using one with shot load like a shot gun. I think this is very cool they have a good selection at walmart just might have to pick one up