The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old April 23, 2013, 03:53 PM   #1
HungryHunter

Deer Baiting

The AZGFD just told me that " baiting" i.e. feeders/artificial water, was no longer going to be legal. I thought it was kinda stupid, but just sighed took, a few minutes to compose myself, and figured I'd just have to find a way to get it done anyway. I then phoned a couple of good buddies and was surprised at what I heard. Split basically down the middle, two were fairly upset like myself, and three were happy. They seemed to regard it as "cheating". I personally figured why not take advantage of any way you can to harvest. Are calls then "cheating?"
It seems if I was back in MO or northern AZ "spot and stalk" would be a little easier than in a place with sand dunes and the almost no vegetation. On the other hand the terrain offers a lot of agriculture and canals, so a permanent spot to set a pattern of feeding/watering would be great. My buddies did not want to hear this argument at all. In fact it was much more of a hot topic for them than for me. I was just wondering what people's opinions are. I am, as always, not under the illusion my opinion is the "right" one. Would love to hear some people weigh in.

I should also add, due to availability of draw process, this year I am hunting bow only. So a feeder would help a lot.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Pahoo

Pass; While shaking my head !!!

Work on your bow-hunting skills ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 23, 2013, 04:15 PM   #3
HungryHunter

Work on your bow-hunting skills...

Yes, sir... that's the general idea. I shoot several hours a day. No coach, nobody to help me or give me advice. Just a humble young guy on a website full of older, and wiser peers looking for some advice and maybe conversation. Sorry if I offended you.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Hawg

Baiting is cheating, no if, ands or buts about it.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
overhead

I am not a huge fan of hunting over bait, but that is just my personal opinion. I don't call it cheating, or hunters that might do it cheaters, I just don't like it. It is not an issue for me because it is illegal here.

That being said if the population of the hunted animal is too high and the harvest is not high enough I understand why baiting might be allowed. Otherwise I don't get it. I would not do it either way.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:55 PM   #6
cvc944

If baiting deer is illegal, then it's cheating. If baiting is legal, then it's not. The rules are the rules and they should be followed. Choosing not to hunt over bait, even though it is allowed ... that's good admirable hunting ethics.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
HungryHunter

Didn't know all that

I see a lot of people are opposed to it. I wasn't even mildly aware of that. My hunting experience for anything other than coyotes is very limited. I didn't grow up with a father or relatives that hunt much. I just watch these hunting shows on sportsman and it seems like common practice to have a food plot at least. So in most peoples opinion it's not a good thing to practice? That's good to know. I'd like to become the best hunter I can.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:58 PM   #8
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I see a lot of people are opposed to it. I wasn't even mildly aware of that. My hunting experience for anything other than coyotes is very limited. I didn't grow up with a father or relatives that hunt much. I just watch these hunting shows on sportsman and it seems like common practice to have a food plot at least. So in most peoples opinion it's not a good thing to practice? That's good to know. I'd like to become the best hunter I can.
You're not a hunter, you're a shooter. Big difference. Like shooting animals in high fence areas where they eat out of your hand. I wouldn't even get on here and tell people I enjoyed baiting and shooting. Change your name to HunrgyShooter.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9
jmr40

A hotly contested topic and I see this thread being locked. My personal feelings are that I want no part of hunting over bait. I wouldn't enjoy it. To me you are not hunting, only grocery shopping.

But I realize it is legal in many places and I won't look down on those who participate where it is legal. There are many ways to hunt, many different traditions in this large country.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
HungryHunter

NoSecondBest, thanks for the advice. I'm now ( as a novice hunter) so much better for your advice and words of wisdom. Thank you for welcoming me to the sport and helping out a younger, inexperienced guy, who plainly stated he's here to learn. You are a fine contributor to society and hunting. Next time I'll be born in the woods into a hunting family. Totally messed up there the first time... I'll stop asking questions for fear of being berated. Thank you again for your time and effective leadership style.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:13 PM   #11
overhead

I don't consider food plots and baiting to be the same thing. I have food plots and I will hunt over them. But, those plots support the deer/turkey/etc population year round, not just for a couple of days when I dump corn in a pile to attract them (if it is not clear, I do not dump corn). I planted apple trees, I have no issue hunting the "path" I know the deer use to get to the trees. I put out mineral licks and other assorted things offseason, but will not hunt over them.

It is a line everyone has to draw for themselves and I know it does not always make sense. If it is something that is there year round to support the animal population I don't mind hunting over it, if it is something I put out just to draw the animal in that one day I am hunting and it is not there year round then I will not hunt over it.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Pahoo

Develope and trust your skills

Quote:
I'd like to become the best hunter I can.
Then keep working on your hunting skills and nurturing a positive code of ethics. My satifaction comes in knowing that I, as a grey hair, part-time hunter, can still take a full-time dear. In part, I learned some of my hunting skills while standing on my stand, watching icicles form on my mustache, in Wisconsin. Between then and now, I made many mistakes and learned why it's called hunting and not killing. .....

Forget the bait, learn to read signs and you will get plenty of opertunity to kill/harvest deer. ...

Don't be afraid to fail and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 23, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't particularly care to hunt over bait. Not because of the bait, so much as I just don't like sitting in a stand. I've always been either a cross-country walking hunter in open country, or a sneaky-snake sort of still hunter in the more jungley sort of country.

How other folks hunt is none of my business. As long as they follow the law. I really don't have an opinion. It's not important enough to worry about.

And I really won't fault the guy whose job keeps him from having the leisure time to "do it right". If hunting from a stand over a feeder gives him a bit of a chance at a successful outdoor deal, more power to him.

But I have seen areas where the vegetation is such that you either sit in a stand or take up a new line of work and forget about hunting Bambi. The mesquite/cactus/catclaw thickets in south Texas work just fine as habitat for deer, hogs, cougars, coyotes and other critters. But no way are you going through that stuff and come out of it with any clothes on.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:40 PM   #14
HungryHunter

Thanks Pahoo, I will. I don't think of it as an end all be all. Thanks for your advice. That's why I came to this site,.and love it so much even as a FNG. I need advice, mentorship and peers. Which out in the middle of BFE AZ, are kind of in short supply.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:52 PM   #15
captainrock39

Even with baiting there is no guarntee of getting something to come in on it,it does make it easier however, on our property we have gone to food plots 10 of them and making the animals big and healthy still no guarntee of getting anything but does make it easier for the animals to get through the winters.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:56 PM   #16
Panfisher

Don't worry you won't go to hell for having committed a mortal sin. (baiting). In many areas baiting for a particular critter whether it be deer, bear or turkeys is a tradition, many places it is not. I don't have a problem with baiting if its legal or even running deer with dogs in those places it legal. Unfortunately for you it is now illegal where you hunt so its not an option. Hunting without bait will give you the opportunity to spend more time in the field observing how the deer act and react. Where they like to be when not eating at a feeder. You will get to spend more time on the ground stalking (lots more fun in my opinion) but you will also see and likely spook many deer. Deer are great teachers if you are willing to learn from them, and you sound very willing to learn. They will teach you to walk quietly, watch where you put your feet, how to break up your outline and to know where the wind is at all times. They will teach you the places they like to hide during the day and what paths they take. When you take a deer in this way you may still be learning (aren't we all) but you are well on your way to being a hunter and woodsman. Enjoy the sport and don't keep score by how many deer you kill, keep score by the memories that stand out. Things like the big buck that didn't quite step out from behind the cedar at 20 yards before turning and walking away will keep you going out year after year.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:01 PM   #17
twins

Quote:
Would love to hear some people weigh in.
HungryHunter,
I've done both methods and I prefer the glass/find/track/stalk/shoot method. I see nothing wrong with baiting if it is legal in your area. Since the hunting regulations changed in your area, here's a chance for you to learn something new and maybe you'll find the same enjoyment as some of us do. There are many aspects to hunting besides the kill.

For all who says baiting is cheating, please explain your hunting method to include equipment. Unless you're dressed like a caveman and hunt with primitive weapons, please don't shun other hunters and their legal methods.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:13 PM   #18
reynolds357

Hunting over bait is illegal in the northern zone of Georgia. I am glad it is illegal because I personally do not want to spend $2000 per year on corn to keep my deer from leaving my land for my neighbors feeders. Hunting over bait has short term gains, but it is long term counterproductive. I like food plots, but am no fan of bait.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:17 PM   #19
Pahoo

What is cheating ???

Quote:
For all who says baiting is cheating, please explain your hunting method to include equipment. Unless you're dressed like a caveman and hunt with primitive weapons, please don't shun other hunters and their legal methods.
This is where "your" personal hunting code comes in. We all have one with much in common but no two are the same. One element that shoudl be common, is to obey the states hunting laws, not just some but all, like it or not. The only time we cheat, is when we ignore the laws and our own code. ..

I can easily shoot squirrels in my woods, during the season but my Mother-in-Law can't understand why I won't shoot them in their yard. I can walk up on one and shoot it but hate it when I run over one, with my car. Go figure ??

Hunt and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 23, 2013, 07:37 PM   #20
HungryHunter

Awesome responses

Thanks everyone, especially the last eight posts. Also future thanks to any further advice or opinions.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:50 PM   #21
buck460XVR

Quote:
If baiting deer is illegal, then it's cheating. If baiting is legal, then it's not.

Exactly. I personally don't consider sitting over a pile of bait or sittin' next to a feeder a legitimate "hunt", but where it's legal, who am I to judge one's methods. Around here tho, the majority of citations given out during the deer season are from hunting over bait, either because it's placed illegally or shooting over it after hours. Thus baiters get a bad reputation.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:59 PM   #22

Went through it in Michigan

We had a year or two where baiting was illegal in my state and it really didn't make that big of a difference. As many have said, this will give you a chance to sharpen your hunting skills. Deer are easy to pattern given the time and effort on your part. They are creatures of habit regardless of whether you are creating the habits (your bait and water) or nature is doing it for you. What I will agree with is the comments that speak to the laws governing our hunting. Nothing......I mean nothing lends fuel to the fire of the anti's than reports of hunters violating the law. You have to adapt to what you have plain and simple.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:47 PM   #23
globemaster3

For those with the flamethrowers, seriously, get over yourselves. If its legal, it's legal! Don't like baiting, but you hunt over food plots? No difference, except the food plot is enduring and if you own the equipment already, probably less money. Regardless, you have an attractant (the food) to bring them in.

I grew up in a state that did not allow it on the public land I hunted, so I cut my teeth "the hard way". But I've also been stationed where its allowed and have done it as part of culling the herd. I've also done it for hogs to trap and shoot them.

Hungryhunter, your hunting experience will take on more challenges, as has been mentioned. Some of those have been highlighted already. Time to hit the books and start studying, especially since you lack a hands-on mentor out there. Please feel free to come back with any questions you have. If you're reluctant to post them out, I think it's fairly easy to tell who you could PM them to.

Best of luck to you.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old April 23, 2013, 09:00 PM   #24
HungryHunter

Globemaster3 and others. Thank you, like I said this kind of expertise isn't born with and you guys that are willing to share it are the true contributors to this sport. Thanks again. The flame thrower guy, pshaw.... I don't think he even understood the humility and humor in being a "hungry" hunter.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:39 PM   #25
arch308

In my part of the world if you don't have a food plot or feeder of some type you don't see many deer because everybody else does. I would prefere to stalk them up but there are too many guns around and they get angry when you cut across " their area". Through the years I have also noticed that the less you tromp around the more deer you will keep in your vicinity.
I spend about 85% of my precious hunting time in my elevated stand with a feeder 120 yds away. I see lots of deer, most of which I just enjoy watching. If a shooter buck shows it's rarely at the feeder. They don't get old by being stupid. And I do feed year round. Most don't.
It's just the way people hunt down here, almost tradition. To call it cheating is a little rash. I wish I had thousands of acres to play Daniel Boone on and truly hunt but I can't so I content my self with as many weekends as I can get in my little corner of a 1000 ac. ranch and my feeder. Hell, I've even got a heater in my stand now.
Closed Thread