The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 4, 2013, 04:09 PM   #1
SerenityNetworks

MCARBO Trigger Mod on Marlin 795

I just thought I'd pass along that I recently went forward with the MCARBO trigger modification (http://www.mcarbo.com).

I didn't measure the break before the mod, but it was both a beast and horribly inconsistent. Now it is as smooth as silk, consistent, and breaks right at 3.5 pounds. (I don't have a trigger pull gauge, so I hung a laundry bottle from a string over the trigger, filled and emptied water until I consistently got a break with the last tablespoon or two of water. Therefore the measurement from a good trigger pull gauge may be slightly less.) My spare time is being cut short of late, so I went ahead and spent the few extra dollars and sent the assembly in for the modification. It was money well spent.

In short, it has been a great experience. Mike turned around the modification very quick, answered a couple non-MCARBO Mod trigger related questions, returned the original springs, and even followed up with a personal email to assure there were no issues with his work. And of course the work was excellent. I couldn't be happier. I have a second 795 and I'll have the mod done to it at some point as well.

Regards,
Andrew

PS. The rifle also has the DIP trigger kit, Tech Sights, and a GI sling. I'm (obviously) not a great shot, but with the DIP kit and the MCARBO mod, I've cut my 25 yard free standing (with sling) groups down from a little over 5 inches with 20 shots to about 3 inches with 20 shots (that's counting my 'oops' fliers in both instances) or either Federal or Winchester bulk ammo. I slipped in a 10 round group under 2 inches using some Eley SSS 60 grain bullets. Previously I hadn't seen any difference between the Eley and cheap bulk ammo, but I guess the bad trigger was masking the capability of the better bullets. I also tried the Red Coat Quick AQT using bulk ammo. With all targets I was standing and using a sling. I got 3 shots in the 100 yard Red Coat, 3 shots in the 200 yard Red Coat, 2 shots in the 300 yard Red Coat, 2 shots in the 400 yard Red Coat (using the .30 caliber rule), and missed the 250 yard head shot. Only 3 misses in 13 shots and standing for all the shots - I couldn't come close to that level of accuracy before the trigger mod.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:40 AM   #2
jimmythegeek

nice groups from standing!

I have the kit, but I decided yesterday at the range the old trigger was good enough for the upcoming Appleseed. Maybe I'll put it on my stainless 795 that has a scope mounted and keep this one a little rougher around the edges. You know, the LTR and the Pampered Poodle.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
SerenityNetworks

Re: MCARBO Trigger Mod on Marlin 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegeek View Post
I have the kit, but I decided yesterday at the range the old trigger was good enough for the upcoming Appleseed. Maybe I'll put it on my stainless 795 that has a scope mounted and keep this one a little rougher around the edges. You know, the LTR and the Pampered Poodle.
I hear ya'. I have a second 795 that will become my Pampered Poodle. Right now it only has a scope and sling, but eventually I'd like to do stock and trigger upgrades - although the trigger isn't all that bad. It is moderately heavy, but consistent. On my LTR the pull was horrible! I could pick up the rifle by the trigger when it was cocked and ready, and it wouldn't fire (dry fire). And to make matters worse, the pull was inconsistent. In short, I had to do something; it was a bad trigger from the get-go, but I didn't know any better when I got it. I put on the DIP kit not to improve performance but because I broke the original trigger guard by torqing the screws too tight.

In hind sight, I wish I'd taken your strategy and just swapped parts, so I had one 'real' LTR and one Pampered Poodle. That idea really appeals to me; probably for the same reason I want to qualify with with sights when everyone else has a scope. I might yet swap the parts, but it will be after the Appleseed. If I made the swap now then I'd be at risk of not getting to the range before the event. I don't want to swap parts and then have to go with the rifle being essentially unfired and without even being zeroed. I'd feel like an idiot if I slowed down everyone's progress because I came unprepared.

Andrew