The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 9, 2009, 03:15 PM   #1
muffinman

quietest .22 lr handgun ever?

what is the quietest suppressed setup for a .22 pistol ever?

ruger mark 2 with subsonic ammo?
and any modifications that would make the setup quieter
semiauto of course too.

Last edited by muffinman; October 9, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old October 9, 2009, 03:24 PM   #2
tom234

Most if not all high speed ammo shot from a pistol is sub sonic anyway so there is not much sound reduction there. CB ammo is quieter but still noticable due to short pistol barrels and CBs don't feed well in semi-auto pistols. [CBs are pretty quiet in long barreled .22 rifles]. You won't get a really quiet .22 pistol unless you suppress it.
Old October 9, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
muffinman

yeah thats what i meant. anything to make it the quiestist
Old October 9, 2009, 03:36 PM   #4
mrclean77

have to ask why you wanna know?
Old October 9, 2009, 03:42 PM   #5
David the Gnome

I'm thinking something along the lines of this:

Would be your best bet. I'm not a fan of the Walther P22 but if quiet is what you're after, they offer several models with threaded barrels. A tax stamp is pretty much all you need to do it.
Old October 9, 2009, 04:00 PM   #6
rjrivero

I would perfer a sig with a similar barrel extension.
Old October 9, 2009, 04:02 PM   #7
DaveTec

Colibri primer loads in any type of .22 revolver. About as loud as a hand clap. Kill a squirrel dead.

Even quieter in a rifle. (but you need the super colibri's to insure that the round clears the barrel)

You can literally shoot them in your garage without the neighbor's knowledge.
Old October 9, 2009, 07:08 PM   #8
TOMBECK

For real quiet - a slide lock is great with a silencer - puuuff - with subsonic.
Old October 9, 2009, 08:53 PM   #9
PSP

The quietest .22lr I ever saw was a Colt Woodsman with a integral suppressor and slide lock.
Old October 9, 2009, 09:30 PM   #10
muffinman

slide lock

what is a slide lock?
Old October 9, 2009, 09:49 PM   #11
Crosshair

Quote:
what is a slide lock?
A device that locks the bolt closed so you don't have propellant gasses escaping from the breech of the gun.
Old October 9, 2009, 10:41 PM   #12
Walter

Quote:
Quote:
what is a slide lock?
A device that locks the bolt closed so you don't have propellant gasses escaping from the breech of the gun.
And you dont have the noise of the slide slamming open and shut.

But I have never seen a .22 pistol with a slide lock, is it a custom
feature, or is it standard on some pistols?

Walter
Old October 10, 2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Crosshair

It's a custom feature. I know of no pistols where it is standard.
Old October 10, 2009, 11:47 AM   #14
muffinman

is this custom feature hard to get? does it make it not semiautomatic anymore?
Old October 10, 2009, 12:10 PM   #15
PSP

Quote:
is this custom feature hard to get? does it make it not semiautomatic anymore?

A slide lock renders the pistol a single shot. The only pistol I'm aware of that had a slide lock, in this case called a "Schieber device", incorporated into the design is the HK MK23 "Socom", but it was dropped from the production guns. The excellent suppressor that was mated to this gun proved very quiet.

The Woodsman I saw was a custom pistol.
Old October 10, 2009, 03:42 PM   #16
RAnb

Quietest ever? I'm not sure which it would be, but I know for certain it is not the P-22 or any semi-auto with or without a slide lock. The longer the barrel, the less heat and noise that reaches the muzzle.

A break open single shot is not as nice as a semi-auto, but it can be much less noisy. Add on the oversized silencer and it makes a difficult combo to beat in the noise or accuracy department.

If you really need a repeater, then this old beat up 1895 Nagant will probably best the P-22 in the accuracy department any day. The target loads move a 93 grain bullet at about 700 fps, about the same power as a 22lr. Full power loads are still subsonic but a bit louder.

Ranb

Last edited by RAnb; October 10, 2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old October 10, 2009, 06:15 PM   #17
Superhouse 15

I'm kind of partial to the 2213 S&W series myself. The low bore axis means the sights are useable without modification, the smooth slide allows you to put your thumb on the back to hold the slide closed, and the short barrel keeps most things subsonic. Easy to add a barrel nut/ thread adapter, too.

http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/tr...0/Hsw2213L.gif

from Google images
Old October 10, 2009, 07:12 PM   #18
TOMBECK

Slide lock

Slide Lock - as noted earlier - locks the slide closed to eliminate action and residual gas noise at ejection. They can be flipped up (in use) or down for normal function. HS and S&W 41s wer modified for US Govt use in the 60s. Possibly some civilian models also??
Old October 10, 2009, 08:27 PM   #19
muffinman

dang i was hoping for a semiautomatic silenced handgun but i guess thats a stretch

so is there a way to have maybe a non semi automatic gun but that u haveto chamber every time. like for example a semiautomatic gun but that is cocked every time? i know there there is pump .22 rifles which might work good with a silencer? but could the auto loading feature on a handgun be stopped? or is there a handgun that can chamber fast(not bolt or break) but not rely on the blowback system releasing noise and gas?

-would a pump action .22 rifle be real quiet with a silencer?
-can a semiautomatic handgun be modified to not blowback and instead be cocked every time?
-is there a handgun or small rifle that can chamber a load fast (not break action) w/out releasing noise?
-is there any current production revolvers(w/ threaded barrel) that seal between the barrel and chamber?

thanks

Last edited by muffinman; October 10, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old October 10, 2009, 11:42 PM   #20
muffinman

quietest .22

is there a way to have maybe a non semi automatic gun but that u haveto chamber every time. like for example a semiautomatic gun but that is cocked every time? i know there there is pump .22 rifles which might work good with a silencer? but could the auto loading feature on a handgun be stopped? or is there a handgun that can chamber fast(not bolt or break) but not rely on the blowback system releasing noise and gas?

-can a semiautomatic handgun be modified to not blowback and instead be cocked every time?
-is there a handgun or small rifle that can chamber a load fast (not break action) w/out releasing noise?
-is there any current production revolvers(w/ threaded barrel) that seal between the barrel and chamber?
Old October 10, 2009, 11:45 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

Yes.

Yes.

Not completely silently, but there are some that are pretty quiet.

The .32 caliber Nagant revolver seals the gap between the barrel and cylinder during the moment of firing. I have seen video of one fitted with a silencer.

Moving to NFA.
Old October 10, 2009, 11:46 PM   #22
hoytinak

I know you can get a bolt lock for Ruger 10/22s, so a 10/22 Charger would work...not sure about any other handguns though.
Old October 11, 2009, 04:38 AM   #23
Venom1956

No... you can have a suppressed semi auto... the loudest thing will be the action working. which depending on the model can be quite silent. you can also install buffers in certain makes to reduce the noise of the slide rebounding. the bolt on a Ruger with a good buffer would seem potentially quieter then a slide to me, anyone agree?

why not? your going to make noise pumping it. probably similar to semi action working

yes... its called a slide lock I think several have replied to your original inquiry.

anytime you have moving parts or loading on a firearm it will make noise. What exactly are you trying to do? your questions are confusing.

Not to my knowledge its a complex and unnecessary that requires specially made cartridges . PS you can get any barrel threaded. Just take it to a good smith.
Old October 11, 2009, 05:39 AM   #24
gyvel

I'm a little confused here.

How would:

(1) a semi-auto that's rigged to require manual recocking/reloading for each shot,
or:
(2) a pump rifle that requires manual recocking/reloading,

be any quieter than a bolt action rifle that also requires manual recocking/reloading for each shot???

Also, to answer your initial question, years ago I had a Winchester Model 67 single shot .22 rifle that had a 27" barrel and was incredibly quiet with standard velocity long rifles and almost completely silent with shorts. When a short was fired, it sounded about like a small twig being snapped.
Old October 11, 2009, 08:06 PM   #25
muffinman

sorry i dont know much.

so a silde lock will make it not blowback?