The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 3, 2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Left Coast WRX

We are selling the farm

Hello
This is my first post on the "The Firing Line" as I am not sure what information that I need to give.

Here is my request/situation… My family has owned a fairly large farm (3,700 acres) in SE Washington for about 130 year+. As all good things must come to an end, we are selling the farm… It is a hard decision but there is just no one left to run the farm.

I am looking for some information on a handful for firearms that have been in my family for as long as any of us can remember. I have model, serial numbers and pictures. How would I go about getting the history on them.

3030 Marlin Special Smokeless steel
300 Savage Model 99
Winchester model 97
Ithaca 12ga trap single shot (engraved metal)
Winchester Model 12 3 inch chamber full choke

Is this a good place to start?
Old October 3, 2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Jim Watson

As good a place as any.

However, the "history" determined by make, model, caliber, and serial number will probably be limited to the year of manufacture. There are enough company records for some makes for a "factory letter" which usually describes the gun as to model, caliber, options, and the original purchaser, usually a dealer or distributor.
Old October 3, 2008, 07:58 PM   #3
MrNiceGuy

NASIOC member by any chance?

but back on topic, marking descriptions and serial numbers could help get you some more specifics. pictures are even better
Old October 3, 2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Left Coast WRX

The guns are still in Washington, I will get all the info off of them. I do know that we are Original owners... I am most interested in the 3030.

*** Off topic, yep I am a member of NOSIAC, How did you guess... and 3gWRX.com *** On topic.
Old October 3, 2008, 11:04 PM   #5
MrNiceGuy

what kind of info are you looking for exactly?

your name looked familiar, been on any of the NW nasioc cruises?

looks like this thread might give you a few answers about the 30-30 (look at the last post)
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45283
but until you have some more specifics, it might be harder to narrow down the information
Old October 4, 2008, 01:26 AM   #6
NWPilgrim

Can't you lease the farmland out on yearly contract instead of selling it? Seems a crying shame to sell it off unless you never get out there I guess. If it has reliable water then it is a gold mine for that area.
Old October 4, 2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Left Coast WRX

I am looking for when they were manufactured, how many were made, approx value. There is not chance that any of them would be sold, they are going to get split up amongst my family members and being able to give a little history on them would be nice. I am looking at the 3030. There is a chance I would be looking at the Winchester Molel 12.

My uncle has been running the farm, if he needs help I get out and drive truck for harvest... He has been farming for 45 years or so. He is tired and I don't blame him. It is a good farm, good land, averaging 80 - 85 bushal or better. Last year was a bad year, but everyone in the area had a bad year. Certified artisan well, supplying the 7,000 sq ft ranch house, at one point we employed 30+ men, back in the day where horse drawn combines were used.

My dad (he grew up on the farm) was telling me stories showing me picures where my Grandpa would ride into town, with his Colt .45, some drug addict b@stard stole that gun (sorry about the swearing), straped to his hip and his 3030 to go to the bank of all places. Funny how the old westerns are actually true to life. We have pictures of him riding Dasie (His horse) and leading the 4th parade, with his Colt .45 on his hip, 3030 on one side, bull whip on the other, carring the American Flag down main st.

I knew this day was comming and it is here now. Last week I got a chance to go back to the farm and make my peace with the fact that it will not be in the family anymore. Like I said all good things must come to an end.

All the info that I have is in excel, is there someone that I can email it too. I did not take down the info myself, but I was told that all the info was taken off of the guns, apperantly no letters, just numbers. My uncle is seeding right now (the farm still needs to run). When he is done he will have a little more time to double check for me. Are there specific locations on the fire arms that I can point him too?

Wow, I just looked up and saw the novel that I just wrote, but it gives a little history and maybe some insight on the info that I am looking for...

*** off topic, I have not been on any NOCIAC cruises in the NW, I bought my 08 WRX about a year ago. I drank the poison and have been modifying it ever since***
Old October 4, 2008, 09:03 AM   #8
PetahW

The serial number can lead to the year of manufacture, on most of them; the barrel/receiver/tang markings, barrel lengths/configs, should lead to a model designation/name; and pics can give an indication of condition.

[3030 Marlin Special Smokeless steel] - Could be a Model 1893 (marked on upper rear tang), 36 (square bolt like 1893) or 336 (marked on bbl).

[300 Savage Model 99] - The configs will indicate the model - solid frame or takedown, type forend, type barrel & length, etc, etc.

[Winchester model 97] - AFAIK, only a few configs - but ya never know.

[Ithaca 12ga trap single shot (engraved metal)] - All 10 grades of the Ithaca single-barrel trap guns were engraved, but the latest two were SKB's (Japan).

[Winchester Model 12 3 inch chamber full choke] - Too many configs to guess w/o details, could be anything from a Trap Gun (model) to a Duck Gun (model), or something in between. Stock & barrel details needed - monte carlo comb/checkering, rib/no rib/length, etc, etc.

Old October 4, 2008, 09:22 AM   #9
Left Coast WRX

OK so now I have a Noob question. Please don't light me up too bad over this question What kind of risks am I looking at giving up Serial numbers of my fire arms in the internet?
When ever I take a picture of my car or motorcycle I always blur out the license plate number.

Last edited by Left Coast WRX; October 4, 2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old October 4, 2008, 03:43 PM   #10
NWPilgrim

The standard practice is to just give the first few numbers and x out the last three or four. For instance 3627xxx.

This way you do not identify a specific firearm but you give enough of the most significant figures to be able to determine date of manufacture.

If you showing photos, then just black out those last 3-4 digits.
Old October 4, 2008, 05:35 PM   #11
Left Coast WRX

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it…

Here are the Pictures that I just took about a week ago. Below is the list of info that was given to me…

This is the best info that I have right now...

Going from top down:

3030 MARLIN FIREARMS CO, NEW HAVEN CT
PAT. OCT 11 1887, APRIL 2, 1889 AUGUST 1, 1899
SPECIAL SMOKELESS STEAL
SERIAL NUMBER 1886xx

300 SAVAGE
SAVAGE MODEL 99
SERIAL NUMBER 6047xx

WINCHESTER MODEL 1897 REFERRED TO MODEL 97
MANUFACTURED BY WINCHESTER REPORTING ARMS CO, NEW HAVEN, CT.
PAT NOVEMBER 25, 1890, DECEMBER 6, 1892, JULY 21, 1896
SERIAL NUMBER 480xx

ITHACA GUN CO. ITHACA, NY. MADE IN USA
12 GA. TRAP SINGLE SHOT, ENGRAVED METAL
SERIAL NUMBER 2785xx

WINCHESTER MODEL 12 GA. 3 INCH CHAMBER, FULL CHOKE
SERIAL NUMBER 11935xx

MARLIN MODEL 42 .22 LONG RIFLE ONLY, SEMI AUTOMATIC
SERIAL NUMBER 271784xx
Old October 4, 2008, 07:18 PM   #12
Jim Watson

The Marlin is a Model 1893 made sometime between then and 1936. Likely somebody will pin it down to the year made.
The half magazine and half octagon-half round barrel were special order features at the time and add considerably to the value and interest.

The Savage 99 was probably made sometime in the 1950s, not really unusual, but those are getting more attention these days.

The Model 97 was made in 1910, nice to find one not sawn off these days.

The Ithaca single barrel trap gun is a Flues model made before 1921. An interesting old gun, but definitely a specialty item not good for much but trapshooting. It doesn't even have a safety.

The Winchester Model 12 was made around 1948 and the 3" chamber may make it the desirable Heavy Duck Gun. (Don't use modern steel duck shot in it, though; the barrel is too thin. Use the premium soft non-lead shot or just use it as a good turkey gun.)

The Marling .22 is just a decent little .22 auto.
Old October 4, 2008, 07:23 PM   #13
dreamweaver

Wow! love that '97!
Old October 5, 2008, 09:12 AM   #14
Left Coast WRX

They have all been considered tools of the ranch, except for the Ithaca in 1905, we leased about an acre of land to the town and built a Gun Club on the land, trap only. The lease was 1 Dollar for 100 years and the lease came up a while back... We renewed it for another 100 years same price!

When I was up there we were sitting down, talking aout old times. One question on the 3030. Is there any significance to the fold down peep site?

THANK YOU... That is exactly what I was looking for...
Old October 5, 2008, 10:58 AM   #15
PetahW

IMHO:

The 96% Marlin M-1893 made 1899 - $2000 +/-
(The folding tang peep was/is a common option/add on. The rear barrel sight's still there, so the barrel sight may be zeroed for short yardage & the tang peep for longer yardage.)

The 99% Savage 99 EG - $500 +

The 97% Model 97 - $700 +

The 98% Winchester Model 12 Heavy Duck Gun - $950 +

The 99% Marlin/Glenfield 99 - $100 +

The 99% Ithaca Flues Model SBT, looks like a Pre-war $1000 Grade. - $8500 +/-
[It doesn't even have a safety.] - No dedicated trap or pigeon guns did, in the day.

Last edited by PetahW; October 5, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old October 5, 2008, 10:59 AM   #16
Jim Watson

The significance to the "fold down peep sight" is that somebody wanted improved accuracy and had it installed. I can't tell whether it is a Lyman or Marbles' from the picture, both were common in the day. If IF it were shown to have been factory installed, along with the special order for the half magazine and half octagon barrel, it would be a plus in collector interest.

Note that I do not say collector value. Sorry, I don't play Internet Price Is Right. The only way to know the true value is to sell them. Anything else is just somebody's opininon if not backed up by a cash offer.
Old October 6, 2008, 07:41 AM   #17
Left Coast WRX

Jim... I understand that getting prices off the internet are people opinions and they are vaild as that, their opinion. I appreciate it as a ball park figure, and not for sale, just for my interest only!

Petahw Thanks for the input I do appreciate it!!!!
Old October 6, 2008, 04:14 PM   #18
guntotin_fool

The SBT could be worth far more or less, but I have seen them as high as 13K, They were the pizza gun of the day.
Old October 8, 2008, 11:27 PM   #19
Gaucho Gringo

Looking at the first picture there is some bandoleers of shotgun shells on the right. Old shells and cartridges and boxes they came in are collectible items worth more than some people think. I made the mistake of letting a lot of mine going a few years back.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old October 20, 2008, 02:37 PM   #20
TEDDY

farm

I should think you could lease the farm land for crops.I have 90 acres and lease 9 acres,pays the taxes and the rest is timber.and I have a number of deer,we got 9 last yr and had sausage and hamberger and cube steak.if the economy dumps,it be good to have back up.just a thought