The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 14, 2014, 04:25 PM   #1
1hogfan83

sig mosquito or

I've sold several rifles mainly because we're moving and I haven't shot them in 6 months to a year. Now with a little extra jingle in the pocket, I'm thinking .22lr. I want a hammer fired pistol but is the Sig trustworthy. This won't be used for HD/PD, just for fun only.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old October 14, 2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Old Stony

I love Sig's and had one, but got rid of it because it was unreliable and shot erratically. I got a Walther and it did just fine. Now I have ordered a S&W M&P .22 compact with high hopes, and should have it in a day or two.
Old October 14, 2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Snyper

Small "pocket" 22's are never "trustworthy" without trying several brands of ammo to make SURE they will cycle every time, and them keeping them VERY clean.

They can be quite finicky about ammo and dirt
Old October 14, 2014, 05:44 PM   #4
HungryHunter

I have multiple Sig pistols, and stand by them. I can't find any use whatsoever for my mosquito though, including pretending to shoot it. I wouldn't sell that thing to my worst enemy. When I borrow a backhoe to build my home range I plan on stripping it and burrying it very deep. ..
Old October 14, 2014, 06:58 PM   #5
microtrain

I have both the Sig Mosquito and S&W M&P pistol chambered in 22lr. I love them both. The Mosquito I have found not to be so picky as I have seen claimed on many many websites. Straight out of the box and to the range, fired 150 rounds of Remington 40gr Lead RN Thunder Bolt with out a hitch. Took my 14 year old daughter out the following week and except for a fast cleaning to fix key holing, she shot the balance of that 500 round box with only 1 FTF. A few weeks later we put an additional 320 rounds of Winchester 38gr copper hollow points down range. Again no mods, straight out of the manufactures box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (161.5 KB, 34 views)
Old October 14, 2014, 07:14 PM   #6
AKexpat

@ microtrain

Quote:
I have both the Sig Mosquito and S&W M&P pistol chambered in 22lr. I love them both. The Mosquito I have found not to be so picky as I have seen claimed on many many websites. Straight out of the box and to the range, fired 150 rounds of Remington 40gr Lead RN Thunder Bolt with out a hitch.
OT, but I have never had a problem with Rem Thunderbolt ammo as many have derided. I don't have a Mosquito but have a 1911 parts gun with a Ciener .22 conversion kit and a 19# mainspring. I feeds and fires anything from Rem Subsonic to CCI Mini-Mags.
Old October 14, 2014, 07:21 PM   #7
whanson_wi

I would look for something else. Our Mosquito is somewhat reliable with CCI minimags, and is a paperweight with everything else we've tried with it. It's ok for plinking, and is fine if you want to run clearing drills... but if I had to do it again, I'd have bought something else.
Old October 14, 2014, 09:05 PM   #8
1hogfan83

Maybe the Walther it is.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old October 14, 2014, 09:47 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

Do you want a centerfire lookalike, or an accurate, and reliable target, and plinking gun?
The Sig, Walther, S&W, Ruger, and other full slide pistols are all similar in resemblance to "real" guns, and all similar in accuracy, and somewhat picky about he ammo you feed them.
There are other options that offer better accuracy, and improved reliability with a wider range of ammo.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 14, 2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Dragline45

If you want a hammer fired .22 get the Ruger SR22 and don't look back. Even though it's not what you are looking for you really cant go wrong with the Ruger 22/45, super reliable and they are tack drivers. I have an 8" plate set up at 50 yards sometimes to plink with a rifle and ill often pull out my 22/45 and can consistently hit it with ease shooting offhand.
Old October 14, 2014, 10:58 PM   #11
BumbleBug

I suggest that you do a bit of research & then avoid the sig mosquito like the plague! That is unless you want to roll the dice & see if you're lucky enough to get one that functions reliably & has better than a 10lb trigger pull.

FWIW...

...bug
Old October 15, 2014, 05:40 AM   #12
cryogenic419

I've got a Mosquito and will just say this. You can do better than this gun. The accuracy is decent however it is quite picky about the ammo you feed it, even when you feed it the "suggested" ammo. The trigger leaves a bit to be desired as well. I finally got mine running smoothly (for the moment) but for what these things cost and they should run ALOT better out of the box. Word is the "metal" these are made out of is complete garbage I honestly expected more with the Sig name on it. If you want more magazines for this thing be prepared to pay a hefty premium. The mags are solidly built and seem like they will last forever. Pity that they probably spent more on R&D for the mag design than they did the gun.

I know there are some folks who seem to have Sig's that work great out of the box, that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Have run into 2 other Sig owners at the range and they had issues with theirs. The one exception was one of them has the threaded barrel model and says when he runs a suppressor on there it is less picky with ammo. Maybe they've worked out a few bugs over the years and have gotten slightly better but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Browning Buckmark, Ruger MkIII,22/45, SR22, S&W 22A and the M&P22, even the Beretta Neos. I've got friends/range buddies that all have one of these and they are happy with practically zero issues. I'm sure there are other good 22's out there just haven't had experience with those yet. You'd do better to go with one of these than you would a Sig.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:18 AM   #13
AustinTX

Neither the "Sig" nor "Walther" are well-made guns. I put the names in quotes because the guns are not actually made by these companies, but by Umarex. The slides and many internal components are made of soft, cheap zinc alloy. These are $90 guns selling for $300+, and people wear them out frequently (cracked slides, etc.).

If you want to shoot .22 LR, buy one of the abovementioned Browning, Ruger, or Beretta pistols. It will probably outlive you. I know people with these guns who have been shooting 500+ trouble-free rounds per session several times per month for several years, and they have had no issues with their pistols. Each of them would have broken several Mosquitos or P22s over that same time.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:34 AM   #14
pilpens

Skip the Sig Mosquito.
If small hammer fired, maybe a Ruger SR22 - I have one for teaching people with small hands. I do not like how the safety works (lever down for safe) but it is a minor thing for a fun gun.
I do not have much experience with the .22 1911s -- they maybe something to consider.
=======
Ruger MKII or MKIII, Browning Buckmark, Ruger 22/45 are good quality, reliable, accurate .22LRs but not hammer fired (exposed hammer).
Old October 15, 2014, 08:06 AM   #15
Fishbed77

In my personal experience the Mosquito is cheaply made and unreliable gun that is seriously over-priced for what it is. My brother was given a brand new one (a friend won it) and when he opened the new box up at the FFL, the flimsy plastic sights were already broken. The trigger is pretty bad and it will only cycle HV .22 ammo.

A much better choice would be the Ruger SR22.
Old October 15, 2014, 09:10 AM   #16
Buckeyeshooter

CZ Kadet Hands down above the Mos or walther if you insist on hammer fired. My friend has one and it is great weight, solid construction, and very accurate. A bit hard to find and costs more but worth it after shooting it with my friend. Or you can get a CZ75 9 or 40 and 22 conversion.

My same friends father had the mos and sent to Sig three times and they gave him credit towards another one of their pistols it was so bad. He still loves his sigs but no mos!
Old October 15, 2014, 10:59 AM   #17
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
CZ Kadet Hands down above the Mos or walther if you insist on hammer fired.
CZ has discontinued the CZ Kadet, but you can still get the Kadet Kit if you have a 75B. (The Kadet [the standalone .22 handgun] is pretty expensive, too -- it's a full-size CZ-75B with a .22 conversion kit on the top. Unhappily, you'll have a hard time finding a 9mm upper for that gun, and CZ won't sell you one.)

I'd go Ruger -- either the Mark II or Mark III, or the newer SR-22. Arguably as good any any of the other "better" .22s, and Ruger's customer service is hard to beat.
Old October 15, 2014, 11:06 AM   #18
weblance

My Mosquito has been 100% and the newer ones have a good reputation for running reliably. The Zamac construction could be a longevity issue, but there arent really many reports of slide failures with the Mosquito, as there are with the P22. If you want a good hammer fired 22 pistol, consider the Bersa Thunder 22. It has a steel slide, and an aluminum frame. It is the equal of the SR22P IMHO. I have both, and they both run very reliably, and are very fun pistols to plink with. There arent many external hammer 22 pistols made today, and even less full size ones. Most are micro, or compact size. Of the 1911-22 pistols, only the Kimber and Browning are aluminum, and the Armscor is steel. The rest are Zamac.

Armscor XT-22
Old October 15, 2014, 12:25 PM   #19
Buckeyeshooter

You can find used Kadets around. I did not mention converting a kadet to a 9mm since it is not advised even if you file the upper slide to fit. Just not a good idea. My advise is by a good reliable working gun that lasts a lifetime., because a problem gun will last a lifetime too and have lower resale value if you ever have to get rid of it for some reason.

If you want very nice a Kimber 22 target pistol is very nice and holds value.

If you want to go hammer less i would go for the Mark III Ruger. All steel and dont worry about striping it if you hear horror stories there are a ton of videos on youtube to show you the tricks.

Any of these three are reliable, fun, and built to hand down to the generations.
Old October 15, 2014, 01:10 PM   #20
Darker Loaf

I know you, the OP, wants a hammer fired .22 LR pistol... I'd look to a revolver then. The only new, reliable .22 LR pistols I know of personally are Rugers Mark III's or 22/45's, Browning Buckmarks, or Beretta Neos.

The Sig Mosquito I bought was one of the most disappointing guns I've ever bought. It was a jam-o-matic. Do not buy.
Old October 15, 2014, 01:33 PM   #21
Fishbed77

Quote:
I know you, the OP, wants a hammer fired .22 LR pistol
The Ruger Mark III and Browning Buck Mark are both hammer-fired, and to be honest, they are far and away the best pistols you'll find in this price/size class. They are both reliable designs that shoot great and will last a lifetime.

Actually, I can't think of any .22 pistols that aren't hammer-fired.
Old October 16, 2014, 12:14 AM   #22
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77
Actually, I can't think of any .22 pistols that aren't hammer-fired.
The Beretta Neos is striker fired.
Old October 16, 2014, 07:46 AM   #23
RKG

Another vote for the SR22. Do yourself a favor and try one out before buying anything.
Old October 16, 2014, 08:48 AM   #24
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyeshooter
...If you want to go hammer less i would go for the Mark III Ruger...
As noted in a response above, the Mark III has a hammer, too -- but you just can't thumb cock it. (It's internal.)

That hammer is one of the things that make the Mark I, II, and III a pain to reassemble: getting the hammer aligned properly during reassembly.
Old October 16, 2014, 08:57 AM   #25
MarkCO

There are several good options...but as much as I like SIG pistols, the Mosquito is not worth messing with. Finicky, terrible trigger pull. It only enjoys status as the pistol I owned for the least amount of time.

There is a reason the Rugers and Buckmarks enjoy the #1 and #2 spots among use in the action rimfire sports. Yes, the Neos and Smiths are making some inroads, but the Ruger and Buckmarks are like small block chevys and fords...LOTS of aftermarket support and accessories.

You could just get a Volquartsen and call it good.