The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 28, 2014, 02:26 AM   #1
gyvel

Unable to use "quotes" or any other features when making a reply to a post.

After upgrading to Internet Expl. 11, I am unable to use the quotes, or any of the other special features used in a reply (Underline, italics, bold face, Smilies, etc., etc.) Prior to this "upgrade" everything was working fine.

Is there some setting I need to use in TFL to reinstate normal use of the reply features?
Old March 28, 2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

This is the first I've heard of this.

Nothing at all is working?

Hum...

I wonder if the programming has changed to the point where it won't support those functions.

What happens when you try typing in a smilie manually?

: ) (with no space between the : and )

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 28, 2014, 07:58 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

No, there is no TFL setting that will fix the problem. I would go through the options of IE to see if there is one that isn't on that sounds suspicious. The first thing I would look for is whether Javascript is installed and turned on.

- Or -
Better yet, stop using IE. Chrome, Firefox, etc. are better, and safer, securitywise.
Old March 28, 2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Marty8613

Internet Exploder

People still use IE?! It's the Taurus semi-auto of browsers. Used to be good. Go with Google Chrome is my suggestion.
Old March 28, 2014, 11:19 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
After upgrading to Internet Expl. 11, I am unable to use the quotes, or any of the other special features used in a reply (Underline, italics, bold face, Smilies, etc., etc.) Prior to this "upgrade" everything was working fine.

Is there some setting I need to use in TFL to reinstate normal use of the reply features?
I do not normally use IE 11.x but I opened it just for this reply.... this entire response in done from IE 11...

All appears to work correctly.
Old March 28, 2014, 01:24 PM   #6
gyvel

Thanks guys for the responses. I got on the horn this AM with Windows and the tech fixed the problem. It seems that Windows 7 and IE11 don't get along. IE11 removed, older version reinstalled, problem solved.
Old March 28, 2014, 01:39 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

Posted with IE11 and windows 7

What does "unable to use" mean?

Did the formatting bar with bold, italic, underline, etc not show up? Did the smilies not show up next to the text box?

Did they show up but clicking on them did nothing?
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old March 28, 2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It seems that Windows 7 and IE11 don't get along. IE11 removed, older version reinstalled, problem solved.
Well, it's Microsoft and Windoze so I'm not exactly surprised but the computer I used for the previous response runs Win7 and IE11.

Oh... it's downloading updates again as I type this.... maybe that's the unfix.
Old March 28, 2014, 10:37 PM   #9
gyvel

Quote:
Well, it's Microsoft and Windoze so I'm not exactly surprised but the computer I used for the previous response runs Win7 and IE11.

Oh... it's downloading updates again as I type this.... maybe that's the unfix

Really! Wow! When IE 11 got downloaded, I had all kinds of problems, including this one on TFL, and with other websites as well. If you don't watch out, Windows will install "updates" without your knowledge and, apparently, some of them can cause real problems.

From what the tech told me, IE11 is more for Windows 8.

Anyway, IE11 was taken out, my old version was reinstalled and everything is working fine now.

So, thanks again for all the responses.
Old March 28, 2014, 10:42 PM   #10
gyvel

Quote:
Did they show up but clicking on them did nothing?
Yes, that was the problem. Apparently some sort of "conflict" caused by IE11.

Quite frankly, you would never have this problem with a paper and pencil. LOL!!!
Old March 29, 2014, 10:13 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting.

Well, this is another computer... running Win7 Home Premium SP1, all updates installed (except stupid Bing Bar), and this post is done in IE 11.0.96.xx, everything seems to work just fine.

Maybe Bing breaks it... I wouldn't be surprised...
Old March 29, 2014, 03:43 PM   #12
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Yes, that was the problem. Apparently some sort of "conflict" caused by IE11.
First, as Brian and I noted, it works fine in some IE11 setups, so it's going to be a settings problem and not a categorical IE11 problem.

Go to the menu (gear icon), "Manage Add-ons". Under Add-on Types on the left, pick toolbars and extensions. Disable everything other than adobe flash.

Go to the menu again, then "Compatibility View Settings", and make sure thefiringline.com is not in the list. If there's a long list, perhaps get rid of anything you don't immediately recognize as something you use a lot.

Go to the menu again, then "Internet Options". Click the Security tab. If the internet zone is set to "High", or Custom, that's probably why. I'm not going to be responsible for security problems telling you to reset zones to default (which is Medium-High), but that would likely fix the problem if it's not medium-high already.

The obvious solution is not to use IE. Use Chrome or Firefox. Seriously. They're better. Using an outdated browser is pointless. If you can't get IE11 working, use something else, not an earlier IE.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; March 29, 2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old April 1, 2014, 07:21 AM   #13
gyvel

Not being really all that computer literate, I forgot to mention that I use MSN Explorer for my browsing. (I have to for legal reasons which I won't go into.)

The markups actually work just fine when I use IE. Yesterday I did a complete factory restore, had IE11 installed, and Windows 7. However, when I installed MSN Explorer, the problem is back. Apparently it is Windows Explorer that has the problem with IE11, which sucks, because I am more or less stuck with it until the end of the year.
Old April 1, 2014, 07:46 AM   #14
tyme
Staff

Are you talking about a workplace? I don't see how any legal constraints could dictate not only that you use IE but a specific bastardized version of IE (MSN Explorer), for general purpose web browsing on your own time, unless you agreed to an absolutely insane contract. Even so, I'd view that as borderline unenforceable (IANAL), much like a contract purporting to enforce slavery. “But, you see, I have to get on this train to Dachau. Is in contract!”
Old April 1, 2014, 03:31 PM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

" I don't see how any legal constraints could dictate not only that you use IE but a specific bastardized version of IE (MSN Explorer), for general purpose web browsing on your own time, unless you agreed to an absolutely insane contract."

You and I had that discussion once, and I laid it out exactly why I was using what I was using - contractually required customer specifications.

EVERYONE in the building had the same build out; no deviation was allowed because of the work we were doing.

It's the same where I am now, because I'm on a government provided machine.

It's a termination offense for me to load any software on my machine that is not approved by the IT department where I work, and to do so you need to provide a valid justification.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 1, 2014, 03:44 PM   #16
gyvel

MSN/Windows finally admitted that there is a compatibility problem with MSN Explorer ("The butterfly"), and that they are working on a "fix" (Yeah, right.)

Tech uninstalled IE11, reinstalled IE9, problem resolved once again.