The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 15, 2000, 09:42 AM   #1
gunmart

remington has a new turkey tube out called the rifled turkey tube.its a .660 constriction acording to remington and it is unbeleivable what it does.i shoot federal #5 3.5 inch loads through my rem 870 supermag with the standard loads and the best i could get at 30 yards was 38 pellets in the head.when i went to the new rifled turkey tube it jumped to 62 pellets in the head .at 40 yards i got 54 hits and at 50 yards i got 32 hits.this is the dream choke i have wanted all my life.every turckey hunter out there should try this choke.its about $30 and worth every penny.beware. at 10 yards its just like shooting a slug.there was very little opening of the shot so make those hits counts.(no wing shooting therea)lol.see ya in the woods.

ps anyone wishing to come to nashville tn to hunt let me know i got some hell of turkey spots.
Old March 15, 2000, 09:44 AM   #2
gunmart

if anyone else has had good results with this choke let me know.
Old March 16, 2000, 07:50 PM   #3
huntschool

Gunmart:

Well its a 2.5 hour drive to Nashville and I was going out by Sugar Tree (Decatur Co.)...but are we hunting at Rivergate Mall or what.....

Lets meet at the Nashville Gun Club sometime...a round of clays perhaps ?

Huntschool
"single sho shooters only shoot once"
Old March 16, 2000, 07:58 PM   #4
dw

I am just getting started in Turkey hunting above you in Indiana. I would love to hunt in TN. Just depends if it works out with my schedule. well catch ya later
derek
Old March 16, 2000, 09:13 PM   #5
gunmart

ok nashville gun club it is i ave several properties in waverly and nolensville to hunt.come by the shop at 6682 charlotte pk exit 201 off 140 about 3 miles from the gunclub.
Old March 17, 2000, 11:02 PM   #6
cjb

GUNMART,
Can you please give me a little more info. on this new tube?... is it traditional rifling, or "straight rifling"? The reason I ask is that I have a Hastings WADLOCK barrel that is straight rifled. The 5 "channels" protrude 5thousands of an inch and slow the wad down as it exits the barrel. This allows the shot to form into a better pattern at closer ranges. I use this barrel for sporting clays( its 2 3/4" only). I can see how the .660 tube can help, but what does the rifling do? Shooting shot shells from a rifle barrel tends to leave a void in the center of the pattern........ Please help me understand this new tube better. If it will help me pop more gobblers up here in Pa. I would be very willing to purchase one! as for coming down to hunt with you......... WHEN DOES SEASON START??? I'm THERE !!!!!!!
CJB
Old March 17, 2000, 11:42 PM   #7
gunmart

dates are aprill 1 till may 1 2000.just let me know and ill take ya with me.i am taking the 2 week off in aprill to hunt but will hunt most morning the whole month.you are correct that a fully rifled barrel with its spirals will show shot all over the place but this ckoke sound alot like the i=one from hastings in that it does have 5 grooves going striat down it.i belive it does hold the cup momentarally allowing the shot to leave uniformed.i treid some win buckshot in just for the hell of it and at 15 yards it patterned well.i would not shoot any slugs through it because i understand slugs are .690 diamiter.it sounds like remington might be getting these from hastings but they come in a remington package.my hunting partner just got one and he is getting the same results as i. hope to see ya in aprill>ed
Old March 17, 2000, 11:45 PM   #8
gunmart

cjb is your barrel a rifled barrel for shooting slug or is it strait rifled for shotshells>?
Old March 19, 2000, 08:26 PM   #9
cjb

Gunmart,
My Hastings barrel is STRAIGHT RIFLED for shotshells.... I use it on my 1100 Rem. for sporting clays. It works great at close ranges on the course. At longer ranges, it performs the same as any other barrel. It was a well kept secret of mine for one season..... then the word got out, now other 1100 - 1187 shooters are using them. The Hastings Barrels became hard to find. So I quickly ordered another, and am kicking around the idea of getting one in 3" for my 1187 turkey gun. I LOVE TURKEY HUNTING.... but it is much harder than people think. Ole' TOM is a pretty smart bird! Ive only killed 17 turkeys in my 13 years of hunting. We are allowed 2 per year here in Pa. 17 is a great number.... But my pap has killed 57 turkeys in Pa. alone with the SAME 1100 Rem.
That old beat up gun is the ONLY thing I want when he passes on....and I hope that we have MANY more turkey hunts ahead of us!
CJB
Old March 23, 2000, 08:03 PM   #10
JAMES L.SMITH

gunmart: do you know the stock number for this choke tube? thanks
Old March 24, 2000, 06:13 PM   #11
gunmart

18579 is remingtons # it .thanks for the inq.