The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 9, 2013, 04:27 PM   #1
maillemaker

Video showing intentional chain fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Ne4VgCdAy7Y

Steve
Old October 9, 2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Cool....

....Beans
Old October 9, 2013, 08:59 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks! It seems to add credence to the practice of always using oversized balls that leave a lead ring when it's swaged down into the cylinder.
Old October 10, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Bill Akins

One ignorant person left a comment at that YouTube video's comment section, saying: "Chainfires are a myth".

Well if they are a myth, then I guess I was involved with a myth the very first time and very first shot I ever fired from a cap and ball revolver. The very first cap and ball revolver I owned was a Walker I bought back in the early '70's. Didn't know much about how to load back then, so I just filled two chambers up with powder, levered the balls in, capped the nipples and fired. It fired the chamber under the hammer and chainfired the chamber next to it. That was a long time ago, and I've learned a little since then lol. Never had a chain fire since then.

But yeah, chainfiring is just a myth, uh huh .

Good video, nicely showing how a chainfire can occur.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old October 10, 2013, 07:37 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

A YouTuber says that chainfires are a myth? There's historical evidence of chainfires. One Berdan Sharp Shooter lost some fingers due to a chainfire that happened with the Colt Root Rifle.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Bishop Creek

That's the truth Bill. Had my first (and only) chain fire in 1969 with my first cap and ball revolver, an 1851 Navy replica. Like you, I was a novice at the time. I have learned a lot since then.
Old October 11, 2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Have been shooting cap and ball revolvers since about 75

I have been fortunate in having had only one chain fire over those years.

Revolver was a .36. I was using .375 balls and schmootzing the chambers with goop.

Pinched the caps and blooowy.

Loosened the arbor in the frame. (Brass frame)
Old October 11, 2013, 10:57 AM   #8
maillemaker

I'm pretty sure the YouTube comment was sarcasm.

It would be pretty hard to say that chainfires are a myth when the video shows a chainfire.

Steve
Old October 11, 2013, 11:42 AM   #9
deerslayer303

NEVER a chain fire here, but I am fortunate enough to have the web, that I came here and picked the brains of the elders BEFORE I ever fired a shot.
Old October 11, 2013, 02:43 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have never had a chainfire, but a friend once owned a 51 Navy (original) in which the nipples were so badly worn that firing would sometimes cause the hammer to blow back far enough to rotate the cylinder and then fall to fire the next chamber. He was going to try to get the hole the right size to have a fully automatic 51 Navy, but I persuaded him to replace the nipples.

Jim
Old October 11, 2013, 08:08 PM   #11
OutlawJoseyWales

I've read as much as possible about chainfires, although I've never had one. I was convinced, until this video, that chainfires had more to do with loose caps than undersized balls. But, the evidence is right there.

Thanks for doing this, but man, I certainly wouldn't want to be holding on the handle TRYING to make it chainfire, wow.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:03 PM   #12
maillemaker

I think you can get a chain fire from either end of the cylinder.

Tight bullets and tight caps are the key.

Steve
Old October 12, 2013, 06:32 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

James K - that sounds like a Webley Fosbery semi-automatic revolver of percussion guns.
Old October 12, 2013, 07:06 AM   #14
brazosdave

never had one, don't lube the front of the cylinders, sometimes use wads sometimes not, but I believe if you have a nice ring from your ball showing the front is sealed, your nipples are snug and the holes the right size, you should be ok. There is a "oops" factor in everything, factory loaded ammunition sometimes doesn't work like it's spose to. I think if you are cognizant of the fact that any gun is potentially dangerous, and handle it with respect, in the event of a mishap like that you will prolly be o.k. Those fellas who are vets prolly have experienced a "runaway gun" once or twice in their lives, lol!
Old October 16, 2013, 01:50 PM   #15
SpareMag

Newbie BP question:

Any evidence of oldie tyme shootists intentionally using chainfire as a poor-man's shotgun?

I can see a tactical advantage to having three balls leaving a gun instead of one...

Not knowing where your lead is landing my be a possible downside..
Old October 16, 2013, 05:42 PM   #16
OutlawJoseyWales

Hmm, then I guess that would lead to the pistol doubling as a club?
If someone DID think of doing this on purpose, I'd be surprised. But I'm constantly amazed at what really really drunk folks with firearms are capable of doing.
Old October 17, 2013, 11:39 AM   #17
MJN77

Quote:
Any evidence of oldie tyme shootists intentionally using chainfire as a poor-man's shotgun?
I think a poor man would have a shotgun before a revolver. I also think emptying all the shots from your revolver at once would be "counter-productive" to say the least. You could damage your gun, lose some fingers, empty your gun and not hit your target, not to mention wasting your ammunition. There wouldn't be any "tactical advantage" to a chain fire unless your goal was to make your gun lighter or give the bad guy a good laugh while he walks up and shoots you. I think an old school pistolero would be better off trying to accurately put his rounds where they need to go instead of trying to use his revolver in a way it wasn't meant to be used. Pepperbox revolvers had a habit of chain firing and it gave them a terrible reputation. The advent of reliable, non-chain firing revolvers lead to the demise of pepperboxes. I don't think anyone would intentionally try to make a quality revolver malfunction, especially when their life depended on where the bullets went.

Last edited by MJN77; October 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old October 17, 2013, 11:54 AM   #18
maillemaker

Quote:
I doubt it. There is absolutely no way to know where the non-barrel-aligned chambers are going to go and there would be no barrel to provide any kind of velocity improvement. I cannot imagine this being done deliberately to try and turn a revolver into a pepperbox.

Steve