The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 10:18 PM   #1
mycorrado

Groupon blocks CHL specials

Dumb move, but apparently anti-gun nut cases are going all over the place complaining about anything that smells like a gun.

In doing so, groupon has stop doing CHL class specials.

If you have a groupon account, close it and let them know why.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Nytelyte

Source?
Old January 20, 2013, 01:39 AM   #3
sgn100391

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/206282...gun-class-deal
Old January 20, 2013, 11:00 AM   #4
ToddG

Last night I unsubscribed from all their emails. Since I didn't see a way to completely remove my account I sent their help desk an email that since Groupon has banned firearms training and related services that I wanted to completely cancel my account and remove all my history and contact information from their service.

Got an email back "Although we typically respond to most emails in less than 24 hours, we're running a little behind right now. You should hear from us in about 48 hours." Dunno if this has anything to do with dropping support for 2A activities but we'll see what they end up saying.

No particular loss, since I buy a very low percentage of their offers but this divide-and-conquer strategy deserves pushback.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Nytelyte

Quote:
Last night I unsubscribed from all their emails. Since I didn't see a way to completely remove my account I sent their help desk an email that since Groupon has banned firearms training and related services that I wanted to completely cancel my account and remove all my history and contact information from their service.
I just did the same.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:58 AM   #6
ksujedi

Just uninstalled the app from my android phone, left poor review of app in google play store stating why, gave "thumbs up" to reviews of others stating their boycott of the app, have already unsubscribed from emails, and emailed customer service to cancel my account altogether. Also received the "we'll get back to you within 48 hours" automated response.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Closing The Gap

I just uninstalled the app and submitted a help ticket, with explanation, regarding closing my account. There are other services out there who I can get deals from that at this point haven't taken an anti 2a stance.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Contrast Man

I've sent an email as well as unsubcribed from them. It's disheartening to see them take that sort of action, but there are plenty of other services like Livingsocial, and Amazon local which do the same thing.

This is a bit closer to me because this is how I got into firearms. I saw a Groupon for a beginner's intro class, seemed like fun and went ahead with it.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Nytelyte

I just got this back from them:
Hi James,

I have deleted your account.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance or if you have any questions.

Regards,

Mike O
Groupon Customer Support

So I guess thats something.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:29 AM   #10
Ralgha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
Got an email back "Although we typically respond to most emails in less than 24 hours, we're running a little behind right now. You should hear from us in about 48 hours." Dunno if this has anything to do with dropping support for 2A activities but we'll see what they end up saying.
Common marketing lie to make you think they're busier than usual when they simply don't want to hire enough people to respond faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.
Old June 28, 2013, 03:33 AM   #11
jimpeel

Groupon doing a u-turn

They have started to do the worm turn.

SOURCE

Quote:
Colorado residents looking for good deals on gun range visits might once again be able to use Groupon to do so, after the popular social coupon site has decided to withdraw their ban on gun-related deals in some regions.

“We have decided to reopen certain firearm-related deals in specific markets where they’ve been frequently requested by both merchants and customers,” Nicholas Halliwell, a public relations officer for Groupon wrote in an email to Red Alert.
THIS is from their website for BluCore Shooting Center, Lakewood, CO. This is where I go to shoot.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old June 28, 2013, 06:46 AM   #12
Closing The Gap

I still won't use their service ever again. They made their bed back in January as far as I'm concerned...
Old June 28, 2013, 08:04 AM   #13
LewSchiller

Terminated my relationship ages ago when I learned more about them and their business model.