The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 26, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Bert223

Rusty Savage Clean-up

Hello Everyone,

I have a Savage Police Tactical that has gotten quite rusty. Most of the barrel is rusty. The action seems fine, there is a little rust on the bolt not much. My questions are:

1. What is the best way to remove the rust? I was thinking scotch brite or wire wheel. Or should I use some type of rust removing chemical like naval jelly?

2. It originally had the Savage parkerized matte black finish. What kind of finish could I put on it? Should I use an automotive paint or something different? I want to keep it the same matte black style finish.

3. When refinishing the barrel and action can I just tape off the muzzle and inside the action to keep the paint out?

Any suggestions here would be much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone
Old November 26, 2006, 08:40 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

couple of ways to go

If it was Parkerized, you could have it redone and make sure to seal it well when you are done. I might have it Parked and then Paint it with the paint of your choice, but I recommend Duracoat myself. It will seal the metal and keep the rust from coming back. I would at a minimum have it bead blasted to remove the existing rust, otherwise it can continue to rust even under the paint.
Old November 28, 2006, 01:54 PM   #3
Bert223

Thanks, I'll look into it
Old November 28, 2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Soak it liberally with WD 40 and let it sit in a warm spot for a couple of days. Then spray it again and wipe it with a coarse cloth. You may be surprised at how much rust comes off. You can try 0000 steel wool, but it may brighten the metal.
Bill