The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 24, 2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Greguw

Gun finish

Hi guys ...I was looking at picking up a SP101 357 ... I really like what Gemini has to offer , but there price's are a bit high for my budget ...I am a machinist and have access to glass beeding equipment ...I have done some custom work on a few friends guns ... most of the guns were polished finish .
I was consider using some raw stainless to practice on and different grades of beed to figure out which finish I am going to like !
Has anyone beeded there finish ?

Thanks

Greg
Old November 24, 2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Ruger4570

I have a rifle I built and glass beaded parts of it, other parts I wanted to stay polished I used a product that most Grave Stone makers use to protect parts they don't want sandblasted,, It is a rubber sheet with a glue backing and can be cut nicely with a razor. I used the finest grit from Brownells to bead blast my gun. The contrast between the bead blasted and polished parts is quite attractive. The only down side to bead blasting is that you need to be sure your gun is well oiled as the coarser texture will rust otherwise.
Old November 25, 2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Greguw

Thanks for the info !

Greg
Old November 25, 2006, 10:52 AM   #4
whiskey

I have seen a lot of guns bead blasted and they look nice. They are not easy to touch up unless you always have access to the bead blaster. A brushed finish can be touched up my anyone.