The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Huskerwildlife

resetting Mark II bolt

I recently purchased a ruger Mark II, so I'm not completely familiar with it yet. The other night as I was cleaning it I removed the bolt, but before putting it back in I was handling the bolt and evidently turned it too far and the firing pin sprung forward. With the pin forward the back piece is turned wrong and the bolt cannot be put back into the receiver, how can I reset the pin?

I know many of you more experienced will think I'm an idiot, and that's exactly what I thought when this happened, but this is my first bolt-action rifle so I'm simply not familiar with the mechanics of it yet. A guy has to start somewhere, hopefully you'll give me some good advice rather than jumping on me like happens on some forums.
Old November 21, 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Chuck Dye

Ruger has always provide me with help when I have called. The number for the Model 77 MkII is 603-865-2442.

I cannot speak to the Ruger 77 MkII specifically, but my Husqvarna, a commercial Mauser clone, and my Winchester Model 70 allow me to insert the bolt into the rear receiver ring to hold the locking lugs while I rotate the bolt CAP through the cocking arc. There can be a widget that prevents rotation until the bolt cap contacts the rear of the receiver. If Ruger put one in the 77 MkII, you will have to defeat it to use the action for recocking. Just remember that it will take no more effort to re cock the bolt with the locking lugs in the rear of the receiver than it does to open the bolt normally. Don’t force it!

Edit: So I am that bored and have that many unused minutes on this last day of my cellular billing cycle that I called Ruger. Ruger says twist away, there is no widget. You may be able to do it by strength of hand alone, with the help of a vise (padded) or as I do using the action.

Ta daa...

Last edited by Chuck Dye; November 21, 2006 at 03:12 PM. Reason: To correct stupid crossover of info for rimfire bolt.
Old November 21, 2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Huskerwildlife

Thanks for the number, I'll give them a call. What you described is what I initially tried, but with the bolt cap turned 90 degrees it strikes the stock before getting to the receiver. Seems like there has to be a fairly simple solution here but I'm not seeing it yet.

Update: Just talked to Ruger. They said that I just need to get a good grip on the bolt and the bolt cap and turn it back into place. It'll turn quite hard, but I don't need to worry about too much pressure. No safety catches or anything else to worry about either. I'll try it tonight and see how it goes.
Old November 22, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Huskerwildlife

Yep, it just turned by hand with a little pressure. Now I really feel like an idiot, but if I had tried that just hoping it would work something would have been different and the whole bolt would have come apart in 12 different directions.

Thanks again for the help.