The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1
learningcurve

Rcbs vs hornandy puller

I was wondering if anyone has used the two mentioned above for a bullet puller you put in the press and lower the case from the bullet. I have been looking at the two and the big differences seem to be that rcbs has more collets out there for different calibers and the Normandy has a nice padded lever on top. Anything else I am missing. Does one work more effectively then the other? Any opinions. One last thing is the prices are quit a bit different. If I remember correctly I saw the rcbs with one Collette for 15 and the hornandy is 24 for just the die part.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 13, 2012, 10:34 AM   #2
elkslayer4x5

The Hornady bullet puller is a cam loc system that sells for $22 @ Grafs, collets going for $10 each, $32 for the 1st caliber.
The RCBS bullet puller screws in to remove the bullet, and sells for $22 @ Grafs, collets are $12.69 ea..$34.69 for the 1st caliber.
Another collet style puller to concider would be the Forster Bullet Puller, another screw- in type, which sells for $16.29 @ Grafs, and the collets are $11.19 ea..$27.48 for the 1st caliber.
The Forster claims to actually tighten on the bullet as you increase the pull with the loadinfg press. Sounds good, but I don'nt know anyone who has this system, wish I'd have read about it before I got the RCBS system, and the now 7 differnt collets.
So just using initial begining cost as a guide line, the Forster costs $5.70 less that either Hornady or RCBS, with the collets selling ( lowest to highest ) RCBS @ $12.69, Forster @ $11.19 and the Hornady @ $9.99 ea
Having used only the RCBS system, thats all I can really tell you, would like to hear more about the actual use of the Forster system.
Got you confused now?
Old September 13, 2012, 11:57 AM   #3
learningcurve

Well yes but all that seems to take today is, hi how are you? I will look into through foresters brand.

Old September 13, 2012, 12:11 PM   #4
higgite

If you haven't already done so, go to youtube and search for each brand of bullet puller. There's some good info there.

I have the Hornady puller. I like it better than the RCBS puller that I had, but ymmv. Haven't tried the Forster puller.
Old September 13, 2012, 04:42 PM   #5
learningcurve

I am leaning to the hornandy. I just wish I could find collet-shirts for the 45, 9 , 380 I load. I can find the 223 no problems. I can get the hornandy from bass pro locally which would even out the shipping from online order. Just my biggest thing is the availability of the collets to be able to use it.

Old September 13, 2012, 05:23 PM   #6
barryhud

Bullet puller

I have the Hornady, but seldom use it. It usually ruins the bullet for reloading. The collet skins or defaces the bullet, especially a round nose that is hard to grip.
I use a cheap impact puller from Franklin Arsenal, quick to set up and all components can be used for reloading. I usually have a few foul ups from each reloading session and I pull the bullets and reload while the press is still set up for that caliber.

Last edited by barryhud; September 13, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old September 13, 2012, 08:45 PM   #7
wncchester

For a collet type bullet puller most of us prefer the Hornady because the lever cam clamp is faster; other than that there is no effective difference in any of them. There aren't many calls for handgun calibers in collet pullers so the sizes are generally limited to rifle bullet diameters.

That said, no collet puller works very well with most handgun loads (and small rifle cartridges), there is too little of the bullet exposed for the collet to get a firm grip on. I strongly suggest impact pullers (hammer style) for handgun stuff. They all work too but Berry's impact puller is the best I've found, Cabela's used to sell them, they probably still do even if it has the Cabela's name on it.
Old September 13, 2012, 09:59 PM   #8
dickttx

What wncchester said.
But here is one from C-H. There stuff is usually really good, but I have not tried the puller.

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/bullet/402000
Old September 14, 2012, 11:41 AM   #9
elkslayer4x5

This one from C-H seems to be the most cost effective, $27.33 for the 1st caliber, then $9.00 for every additional caliber. Darn! Now I've got too much information! With as much as I already have into my RCBS puller ($111, the Puller and 7 collets ) could have had the C-H for under $84, and 27 bucks change. Thats a lb of powder and a couple on boxes of primers! Good thing it was spread over several years, don't feel it so bad that way.
Old September 14, 2012, 03:15 PM   #10
learningcurve

Just found a new forster one for Ten on a different forum. Thinking of jumping on that one.

Old September 14, 2012, 07:07 PM   #11
elkslayer4x5

I would have, its works the same as the RCBS that I paid more for. You asked a good question, and sounds like you'll profit from the asking.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Clark

I have the RCBS, the Forster, and the Hornady cam lock.

The Hornady cam lock is better for pulling bullets.

The Forster is nice for putting a Lee Loader decapping pin in the collet and making a super decapper. It is also nice for putting a pin gauge in the collet to make a powder compresser. It is also nice for holding home made mandrels for opening necks.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?