The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 17, 2010, 06:06 PM   #26
briang2ad

VERY nice looking gun! It DOES look like a 97, and the safety and slide stop are VERY nice for two high thumbs.
Old July 17, 2010, 07:02 PM   #27
stevieboy

It's an interesting looking gun and, judging from the description, may be a good one, too. In order to sell in this country there would have to be decent warranty protection plus a support system that would guarantee repairs.

As for it being like a CZ, well, to a certain extent, many 9mm handguns have similarities to BHP, CZ being one of them and this one being another, apparently. That doesn't mean that they're clones. I bought my CZ 75B SA because it seemed to replicate all of the good features of the BHP and at considerably less cost. I never thought of it as a BHP clone, however.
Old July 17, 2010, 10:07 PM   #28
Elvishead

Quote:
Anthrax that is a pretty cool looking pistol. If you don't mind me asking how is the grip on it for you? I have small-medium sized hands and sometimes bigger guns don't fit me right.
I have large-medium hands and the factory CZ75B grip had a little to much palm swell for me. I put a hogue mono grip on and it fit me really well now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun CZ75 Hogue 004.jpg (55.9 KB, 57 views)
Old July 17, 2010, 10:40 PM   #29
Anthrax

Schmeky;

Thanks man! Feels good to be here! As for how you'll get it, I wish I could answer that. If you folks demand this from your Gun stores, I'm sure they'll look into it if it isn't already there.

Pacerdude;

The grips are actually quite comfortable for me. I have large hands and they fit me well. The best part is that you could put a Hogue on it. My other friend who owns this has a Hogue on it. Here's a picture;

(All rights reserved to Abbas - Admin Pakguns)
Old July 17, 2010, 10:47 PM   #30
pacerdude

Thanks for the reply Anthrax. I will have to look into these pistols once they become available over here in the U.S.
Old July 17, 2010, 11:59 PM   #31
Xfire68

Anthrax, that is a great picture of your new gun! It does look a bit like a CZ and maybe even a Baby Desert Eagle?

I put some Hogue grips on mine as well! Love them so far.
Old July 18, 2010, 12:03 AM   #32
Rampant_Colt

I wonder if that's the same company that makes the Armalite AR-24, CZ clone?
Old July 18, 2010, 02:04 AM   #33
armoredman

The AR24 is made by Sarsilmaz of Turkey, a clone of the Tanfoglio Force model, known as the Witness here. Sarsilmaz used to be a Tanfoglio distributer. Clone of a clone. Good solid guns from what I hear.
This looks, indeed, like a shrunken CZ 97. Interesting.
The CZ75 and the Browning HiPower/P35 really have very little in common, the CZ75 is not a clone of the HP.
Old July 18, 2010, 08:30 AM   #34
Dashunde

Nice looking gun, but I dont really get it...
CZ's are already "inexpensive" for the quality, reliablity, accuracy and solid reputation that you get from them.
$470 for a real CZ sounds like a bargain compared to $400 for a unknown clone'ish version.
The real thing is certain to hold its value, too.
Old July 18, 2010, 08:58 AM   #35
ZeSpectre

I chuckle whenever gun guys start saying "but XXX already exists, why would someone build another clone". Um, have you SEEN all the 1911 clones and variations out there?

Anthrax,
Any possibility you could take a photo of the field stripped frame from the top? I'd love to see the inside of the rails and the trigger mechanism.
Old July 18, 2010, 09:06 AM   #36
Anthrax

Sure ZeSpectre. I'm out, will post some pics when I reach home.
Old July 18, 2010, 09:32 AM   #37
Anthrax

As requested by ZeSpectre, A look at the internals.

Lower frame and trigger/hammer mechanism;

Old July 18, 2010, 09:47 AM   #38
ZeSpectre

Thanks for the photos.

It looks like they did the Tanfoglio route on the internals (the pin that pushes up on the trigger bar vs the CZ method of a "wishbone spring"). Either design works but I've found the Tanfoglio style to require more polishing and TLC to smooth out the trigger pull.

I'd love to shoot one, maybe someday I'll get a chance.
Old July 18, 2010, 10:14 AM   #39
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
A Turkish clone of a Czech pistol; which is basically a clone of the BHP.
1) The CZ design is has absolutely NOTHING to do with the BHP design. The only people who make that claim have never compared closely or detail-stripped and examined both guns. (I have both, by the way, and have detail-stripped both.)

The CZ and BHP have a generally similar shape, and that's about all they have in common. Go to one of the sites with exploded diagrams and compare the two guns.

2) This new Turkish gun is probably based more on the Tanfoglio design than the CZ. The early Tanfoglio guns were close clones of the CZ back in the 80's, but as the years passed, they became more and more different.

The Tan-based guns use the same basic design concepts and functionality, but are far from clones -- as almost NOTHING interchanges with the CZ line: barrels don't interchange, slides don't, firing pins are different, spring sizes and locations are subtly different, guide rods are different, sights use different dovetails, etc., etc.. Most of the mags DO interchange.

3) The only issue you're likely to have with these new Turkish guns is parts and service, if you have problems. It'll depend on the importer.

I'm a big CZ enthusiast, but like Witnesses, too. The Tanfoglio/Witness guns are simpler than the CZs and probably easier to make. In some respects they're an improved design. They're good guns. I have a Witness 45 at the moment, but don't have any other Tanfoglio-based guns right now. I do have some Swiss-made CZ-like guns, though -- a custom AT-84s, and a Sphinx. The Sphinx are, in my opinion, the gold-standard for the CZ design.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 18, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old July 18, 2010, 11:20 AM   #40
schmeky

Dashunde,

I understand what you're saying, but I made a comment earlier that it's a price point issue. If this CZ clone could be priced around $350 or so, it would be attractive, even to someone like me that has to many CZ's already.

Walt,

Excellent post on the BHP/CZ thing. And, I agree completely with the fact that Tanfoglio has made some definite improvements in the CZ design.

I would be really nice if this newer Turkish variant combined the best of CZ and Tanfoglio, but only if it's priced right. I for one, would not pay current CZ pricing for this newer copy.
Old July 18, 2010, 07:00 PM   #41
tekarra

Hey all, I stumbled across this whilst surfing. Check out www.Canik-USA.com.
Old July 18, 2010, 08:17 PM   #42
FreakGasolineFight

If these pistols are all you say they are ... it would most certainly be something to look into.

I just took a look at their website, and they definitely look interesting. I like the fact that they offer all three of their pistols in satin chrome, and I like their prices. I noticed that they also claim "Nato Quality Assurance Certification", whatever that is.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how they hold up when and if they get big in the US!
Old July 18, 2010, 08:25 PM   #43
schmeky

tekarra,

Hey, hey, you da' man !!! I'm going to call the number in Colorado Monday and see what's up. I'm going to get a "Piranah" like the one Anthrax has, if they import that particular model.
Old July 18, 2010, 08:27 PM   #44
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
It does look a bit like a CZ and maybe even a Baby Desert Eagle?
The Baby Eagle is descended from the CZ-75. Oddly enough, it's not known for being particularly accurate which is unusual for a CZ-75 based pistol.
Old July 18, 2010, 09:57 PM   #45
armoredman

BE was Tanfoglio produced slide and frame, same as the Jericho 941, and then assembled in Israel with Israeli internals, last time I asked, which was several years ago.
Old July 18, 2010, 10:07 PM   #46
Florida Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeky
I'm going to call the number in Colorado Monday and see what's up. I'm going to get a "Piranah" like the one Anthrax has, if they import that particular model.
This appears to be what they're bringing into the US with list prices shown: http://canik-usa.com/index.php?cPath=3
Old July 18, 2010, 10:21 PM   #47
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
BE was Tanfoglio produced slide and frame, same as the Jericho 941, and then assembled in Israel with Israeli internals, last time I asked, which was several years ago.
That sounds about right. I didn't know all the details--just that it was based on a CZ-75 type pistol although not closely enough to reallly be called a clone.
Old July 19, 2010, 04:52 PM   #48
Anthrax

Guys, thanks for all the nice opinions and comments on this thread.

Seems like the good ol' American gun enthusiasts are happy to discover this handgun. Keep the updates coming in and hopefully, one of you will get to buy his/her very first Canik55 in the near future.

Tekkara;

Excellent job on the finding the Canik-USA website!
Old July 19, 2010, 06:01 PM   #49
CanikUSA

We are the USA importer for Canik

Hi forum members,
We are the USA importer for Canik. I appreciate all the assistance anyone provides in spreading the word on these quality arms. I do believe these pistols could command a higher retail price but we’re trying to be as fair as possible on the pricing but need help spreading the word. Advertising is very expensive! We are reviewing quality accessories to accompany the Canik pistols. As for the pistols, the SFC-100 is most likely the next to be released here.

www.canik-usa.com

Be safe,
Old July 19, 2010, 07:14 PM   #50
schmeky

CanikUSA,

I called your Colorado phone number today, around 9:30 am your time, and no one picked up. How do I get some info on your product if my question is not answered on your website??

Tags
9mm , canik , canik 55 , canik55 , piranha , sarsilmaz , tanfoglio