The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 23, 2012, 10:23 AM   #26
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
FNH sells the Model 1894 made by Miroku (not Winchester or FNH). And, FWIW, it is even farther from the original than the Model 94s (rebounding hammer, angle eject, etc).
Not to mention the tang safety......................

Old December 25, 2012, 08:24 AM   #27
fivebux

Hello everyone this is my first time using a forum so if I'm posting in wrong area please let me know. I was just given a Winchester 94 post 64 in 44 mag. Its manufacture date i found out is 1969. What I am trying to find out is what sub model is it and if someone can help me cause it does have a feeding problem.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:37 AM   #28
PetahW

Happy Holidays, and welcome to the web, fivebux.

Depending upon barrel length, and with NO other information, I'd WAG that your post-64 Model 94 .44 Mag is a standard Carbine (20" bbl) or a Trapper (16" bbl).

You should also probably expand on it's feeding issues in our Gunsmithing Section.

Old January 23, 2013, 08:36 PM   #29
brinker

I know alot of shooters like Marlins: My Model 94/sn 2018545 I think it's around 1954. My first deer rifle, for Christmas 1961. Mom was a hunter and she had a Marlin, Gave me the Mod 94 I don't recall the cal. of the Marlin but she always said it was nicer. That the 30/30 was a brute. I haven't hunted with the 30/30 in years. I used my 1903 Springfield. This coming year I traded for a model 700 243 Winchester and I plan to hunt with it. I still Target with the Springfield, It's original and I roll the dice every time I shoot it. When I was young I watched the lone ranger and Roy Rodgers, I noticed the lever action Winchesters, I can't recall for sure but all the lever Actions had round barrels. also latch top Springfields were in alot of movies. Good luck with your choice, Be careful and shoot clean Sunny
Old January 23, 2013, 10:10 PM   #30
Malamute

Quote:
FWIW, there's only TWO (2) recognized genre's of Winchester Model 1894/94 leverguns, pre-64 & post-64.
ANYTHING else is a subdivision, like post-64 Model 94AE's, & BB94's, or Pre-War whatever.

Also, Winchester NEVER designated any levergun as a "Trapper", until the post-64 period.

Anyone who says they've never seen a Pre-64 Model 94 Rifle need only look through a few Winchester reference books, if they don't have access to the real thing.
The early type carbines seem to be generally recognized, usually called "saddle ring carbines". That distiction or variant is more desirable than a later, post war, or even pre war ramp sighted guns. After the early type carbines (saddle ring carbines) went out, and ramp sights came in, they pretty much look alike, other than the long wood forends.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old January 24, 2013, 02:07 AM   #31
Pathfinder45

War-time.....

Mine was made during WWII. Sometime later they changed the hammer from checkered to serrated around '48to '50, I think, to speed production or reduce costs. Shortly thereafter they changed from long-wood to shortwood forearms. Old Winchesters have a grace and poise that the new ones don't quite get.