The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2012, 11:01 AM   #1
frumious

RCBS Customer Service

Short version: Called RCBS to get a replacement part for my press. The part broke due to my own stupidity. I asked if I could buy another one in addition to the one they were going to send me for free but the rep (Brian) said "Eh, I'll just throw a couple in the envelope for ya". Awesome!! Thanks, RCBS!

Long version: I stuck a case this weekend and broke a part on my press. I was running 45-70 through my RCBS Pro2000 progressive when a case stuck coming out of the resizing die. HARD. I ended up pulling the shell plate all the way off of the ram, breaking the head off of the shoulder bolt that holds the shellplate down.

Since the shell plate was still attached to the bottom of the case I was able to loosen the die from the tool head and with a little effort the act of unscrewing the die all the way pulled the case out. Didn't even rip the rim off!

The problem was I hadn't used enough lube on the cases. I normally spray one spritz of Frankford Arsenal case lube into a 1-gallon ziplock bag and toss in 50 45-70 cases, jiggle them around a bit, pour them out, wait a few minutes, and then begin sizing. This time, however, I spilled the cases and during the time it took to get them back into the bag, enough of the alcohol evaporated so that the cases didn't get enough lanolin or whatever on them. I should have stopped when I realized the cases were harder to size than normal. Luckily though after breaking the Pro2000 I was able to switch to my Reloader-Special 5 single stage and continue. Yes I am an RCBS fanboy.

Anyway, as already mentioned, they are sending me a replacement shoulder bolt and a spare all for free. I <3 RCBS

-cls

Last edited by frumious; September 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old September 10, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
silvrjeepr

I've heard their customer service rocks.
Old September 10, 2012, 11:28 AM   #3
grubbylabs

I have had great service from both RCBS and Hornady. A friend just bought a used RCBS progressive and they sent him some parts he was missing for free. I had the same experience with Hornady when I bought a used pro jector.

I think every other industry could take some ques from the reloading industry, not that they need to give stuff for free, but just their whole mannerism. They seem to truly understand that they are there to take care of the customer and that we have options.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 10, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4
jimkim

I've had excellent customer service from RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Dillon, and I think MEC sent me a free part once too. The only one I've had any bad experiences with was Lyman.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:41 PM   #5
oldreloader

I've had excellent customer service from RCBS, Lee, Hornady, MEC and Lyman.
Old September 10, 2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Mac Sidewinder

I had the spring break on my Lee Pro Auto Disk measure only after a couple weeks of use. When I contacted Lee they were very apologetic sent me 2 replacement springs via ups. I called them back and asked why they sent 2 and they said that they didn't want me to be "down" in the event I ever broke one again.

Mac
Old September 11, 2012, 10:10 AM   #7
solitude127

I once bent my rod for my swager die because I wasn't paying attention and RCBS replaced it. I'm definitely a customer of their's for life
Old September 11, 2012, 09:37 PM   #8
TheTinMan

My RCBS 5-0-5 scale started shifting 2-4 tenths at random intervals after 3 years of working fine. Not a drift - a jump. Zero and check weights shifted same amount. I think I managed to damage one of the knife blades based on inspection with a magnifying glass. Trying to stone the nick smooth didn't help.

I called RCBS and told the tech exactly what I typed above. "Just send it in with a note saying it worked fine for 3 years and now doesn't. We'll either fix it or replace it."

It hasn't come back yet but I can't wait until it does!
Old September 11, 2012, 09:59 PM   #9
jwrowland77

So I got a question for the ones that have called Hornady.

When I first started reloading, I was getting ready to resize and decap some .223 cases and got one stuck. I didn't have enough lube on it. Well while trying to get the case off the expander ball on the decapping pin chipped a bit. Well I figured if I called them then they would tell me that well it was my fault and tough luck.

Do y'all think if I call Hornady that I could get it replaced? Just wondering. From reading all the stories is why I'm asking.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:13 AM   #10
jwrowland77

Thank you OP for starting this topic.

After reading all the post on here, I decided to call Hornady and tell them about the expander ball on my decapping pin being chipped due to trying to get a stuck case off. He verified my address and said we will get a new one sent out too you.

So thank you for posting this topic, otherwise I would have never called. I would have just chalked it up to experience to know what not to do.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:22 PM   #11
warhwkbb

RCBS sent me a "new in the box" 10-10 scale ($165) because I lost the Beam during a move. Customer service doesn't get better than that!
Old September 21, 2012, 03:35 PM   #12
codefour

I have had nothing but stellar service from RCBS. I broke the cam indexing arm on my Pro 2000. It was my dumb fault. I called RCBS. I tell them i broke the part by my error and it was not the products fault.

The guy asked for my address and told me it was in the mail. I told him I did not feel right taking the part that I broke for free. I asked he take my credit card info. He refused and asked me how many RCBS products I have on my bench. I told him my bench is 70-80 percent RCBS. He replied the reason the RCBS warranty is the way it is to keep us satisfied.

I wish other industries were as helpful as the reloading industry.