The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 12, 2010, 11:48 AM   #151
BlueTrain

In six pages of responses, there's hardly anything that wasn't mentioned in the first four posts. Even cocked and locked takes practice, you know. But my thoughts on that have been mentioned elsewhere. But see also the threads about reminder about gun safety in the home and the one about accidental discharges. No one asked but my preference is for certain double action automatics and that's what I have and probably that's what the next one will be, too (I'm currently getting the itch again and for a .45 this time around).

So, off my own property, why don't I carry? In my sixty some years I've never had an experience that convinced me of the value. Supposedly it has become easier around here where I live to get a permit, if you want to take the time and effort and spend the money. There's also the no weapon workplace rule here, too, and I don't go anywhere else. But in 40 years of practice and shooting, I've worked out my own solutions pretty much as best as I can, in so far as I can see what the problem is. Is this a case of a solution to a non-existent problem? Am I spending too much time on this forum?

And another thing. Calling someone an idiot is no way to get them to change their mind. And don't make bets that something can't be done.
Buy War Bonds.

Last edited by BlueTrain; January 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:59 AM   #152
CorpITGuy

Quote:
So, off my own property, why don't I carry? In my sixty some years I've never had an experience that convinced me of the value.
You've never used your life insurance, either... but I bet you still keep that policy up-to-date.

You never know when your time to act will come. All you can do is be as prepared as is reasonable. If that is unarmed but aware, you're still better off than most. If you can possibly be both armed and aware of your surroundings, your chances of survival (or the survival of a loved one) increase exponentially.

And, I agree, this thread has outlived its usefulness.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:06 PM   #153
Dannyl

Rafi, you are 100% right

Hi, I am also Israeli. the whole issue with the army training to carry handguns with an empty chamber derives from two factors:
1. in the IDF, unless you are on active duty and it requires it, you are expected to carry your firearm without a magazine, never mind one up. guns are loaded before going into hostile areas or before commencing a live-fire exercise.
2. the reality regarding handguns is that only very few units are issued with them, and then they are (for most) only a secondary weapon. going back to the first pistol adopted by the IDF (Browning Hi Power, with the little and cumbersome safety lever) it was established that it would be quicker to chamber a round (if and when it is needed) than to have to fumble with that particular safety.

This is how it came about that the method tought is with an empty chamber and the two handed drill is practiced. the disadvatages that this presents to a civilian facing a sudden threat on his own are not applicable since a soldier always operates in a group and the chances that he will have to chamber a round while fighting an oponent all by himself are rather slim.

For civilians, I certainly advocate to carry a round in the chamber (as a matter of fact the only gun I own in Israel is a Browning, and after replacing the safety lever with an ambidextrous one I do carry it in condition 1).

IMO any firearm that is made by a reputable manufacturer and is in good condition is OK to be carried in condition 1. a bonus is if it has a firing pin safety that prevents the firing pin from striking a primer if the trigger is not pulled (safer in the event that the firearm is dropped).

For EDC, my S&W 4006 is always chambered, safety off (hammer down, the first rounds is DA).It stays in that condition whether I am at home or away.

Brgds,
Danny
Old January 12, 2010, 12:30 PM   #154
stargazer65

I still keep it condition 3 in the home for one reason and haven't changed my mind yet:

It gives a second level of protection for the 2 year old in the house. I keep the gun on my person or locked in the safe. If I were to pass out and/or the safe broke, she wouldn't be able to use it and if she put it in the oven it wouldn't discharge. If that seems silly and unlikely, well I'd have to say sudden home invasions that require instantly deploying a bullet have been rare around here also. I'm taking that chance for now. It's my business, whether you agree with it or not, and I'm not trying to tell anyone it to do it that way.

Carrying in public is a different situation to me. I chamber a round if I'm going out with it. But I don't always carry everywhere either.

If you want to give me good natured alterntive suggestions that's fine, but I will patently ignore the "you shouldn't have a gun if you don't always carry it everywhere chambered" attitude.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:30 PM   #155
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And, I agree, this thread has outlived its usefulness.
Yep, in more ways than one.

Someday, I'll see a thread here that goes over 100 posts while remaining civil.

Looks like today ain't the day.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread