The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 14, 2007, 02:59 PM   #1
taylorce1

Wolves attacking a Moose!

Got these pics as well through an email, don't know the story behind them as well. It had to be exciting though to watch and take pics.
aJE1H0054.jpg

aJE1H0097.jpg

aJE1H0187.jpg
Old February 14, 2007, 03:02 PM   #2
taylorce1

And the final pic.
aJE1H0412.jpg
Old February 14, 2007, 03:04 PM   #3
el Divino

they seem to be Coyotes
Old February 14, 2007, 03:08 PM   #4
rem33

I wanna wolf tag so bad.
Old February 14, 2007, 03:34 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Judging by the last pic, wolves 1, moose 0. Hard to escape in the snow. Pretty neat.
Old February 14, 2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Odd Job

Everybody has to eat.
Old February 14, 2007, 04:28 PM   #7
tube_ee

Good for them...

the wolves that is. 1 moose = lots of food.

If you ever consider yourself a great hunter, watch actual predators at work. You will hang your head in shame, and you will probably learn a lot. Heck, just watch your cat stalking a bird in the yard. There's no human who's ever lived that could stalk so silently of lethally. Our technology gets us in the game, but even so, we're second-rate.

It's a miracle we survived.

--Shannon
Old February 14, 2007, 04:32 PM   #8
taylorce1

Found The Story!!!

http://www.isleroyalewolf.org/photo_...ills_moose.htm
Old February 19, 2007, 12:20 AM   #9
Fat White Boy

I found it interesting that the author noted that the wolves ate the moose while it was still alive. Anti-hunters always bring up a less than clean kill as a reason not to hunt. I don't know but I think I would rather be shot and wounded than be dragged down and watch while a pack of wolves eats me from the inside out.
Old February 19, 2007, 10:13 AM   #10
robc

Holy Natural Gangster Batman!

It says in the article that the pack in the pictures had recently killed the leader of a neighboring pack! It's the canine mob!
Old February 19, 2007, 11:26 AM   #11
FrontSight

Nice find, thanks!
Old February 20, 2007, 03:09 PM   #12
ENC

Hey tube_ee just to let you know that Peter H. Capstick stated in the intro to Death in the Long Grass that he used to stalk and catch by hand songbirds in his front yard as a young boy.

Evan
Old February 20, 2007, 09:32 PM   #13
MD_Willington

I've seen that and the aftermath in Alberta, we were in the same area where they captured the wolves that were set out in Yellowstone park. The wolves picked a swamp donkey clear down to the bones... Never bothered with us.
Old February 20, 2007, 11:09 PM   #14
Jseime

Note to self...when calling coyotes in an area where wolves may be, take a buddy and some spare ammo. The biggest pack of coyotes I have seen is three and I would hate to see what they do to young deer in our area.
Old February 21, 2007, 11:15 AM   #15
Dave R

Wow, dramatic story and pix.

Leaves no doubt that a wolf pack could take an unarmed human, if it ever chose to do so. A human couldn't put up near the fight the moose did.

Last edited by Dave R; February 21, 2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old March 8, 2007, 05:34 AM   #16
JAXX

Wolves suck. My favorite bumper sticker says, "Welcome to Wyoming, now take a wolf and go home"!
Old March 8, 2007, 11:25 AM   #17
Smoke Screen

Yowza!! Talk about a crazy experience! I've seen about 4 moose live in the woods in my short life, and every time I see one, them seem to get bigger and bigger. I'll bet those wolves weighed about 185 pounds a piece! Tell' em to save me some moose jerky.
Old March 8, 2007, 08:12 PM   #18
kingudaroad

Quote:
Wolves suck. My favorite bumper sticker says, "Welcome to Wyoming, now take a wolf and go home"!
I think they were there first.
Old March 8, 2007, 08:26 PM   #19
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I don't know but I think I would rather be shot and wounded than be dragged down and watch while a pack of wolves eats me from the inside out.
I thought a lot about this statement, and after initially agreeing, now would disagree. I'd much rather be eaten alive by wolves, because it's going to be over relatively quickly, and while you are being eaten, you will be going on constant adrenaline dump, so you won't feel too much pain. But being shot & wounded, after the adrenaline wears off, the real pain can set in, and then you die a long horrible death, and ultimately be eaten by crows, buzzards, skunks, ants & worms instead of wolves. Ants are gonna take a LOT longer to eat you alive than wolves. I'd rather contribute to the wolves' nutrition than the other critters. However, I'm sure I'd feel differently if I lived up there - people dislike them for pretty good reasons.
Old March 8, 2007, 08:30 PM   #20
rem33

Yep, FF, I rather just take the gun and shoot the wolves, solve both problems at once..Grins
Old March 9, 2007, 11:31 PM   #21
JAXX

Quote:
That doesn't make what they do right, nor does it make anyone who has to live around or near wolves feel safe. How would you feel if people who didn't live within a thousand miles of you told you that you needed to repopulate a wolf species and that your state had to budget for the management of these animals? And, by the way, they are going to be protected. Meaning that if they are eating your calves, too bad. If they are eating your goats, too bad. If they are eating your chickens, too bad. If they are driving the mountain lions down out of the hills into the valleys, too bad. Guess why? Because they were there first. I don't have a problem with wolves being around, what I have a problem with are people who have never been to my state telling me what I have to have in it, and then valuing the worth of that animal over the worth of a human life or a mans livelyhood. You have no idea the battle that is going on in this state right now, nor the puddle which you are sticking your toe into, my advice, dry your foot and walk away and have a nice day. This fight is not yours.
Old March 9, 2007, 11:54 PM   #22
fisherman66

little off topic.....

I was in Johnson county, WY this week for business. I finished work early on Monday and decided to take a drive in the mountains. I found a trail (Tie Hack Road) leading to a mountain lake and decided to take in the view. I drove the rent-a-car less than a eighth of a mile and snow started to cover the gravel road. I drove another 100 yards or so and realized I made a big mistake. The trail was too narrow to turn around and too slippery to go in reverse. Long story short I stuck that little Nissan Sentra good. I was catching just enought to cell service to get a call into 911 and 4 hours later the tow truck made it's way down that trail. Tow truck got stuck, but chained up and pulled my sorry butt off the trail. While waiting and enjoying the beauty I found tons of cougar tracks. It was facinating until I started to think about spending the night up there. Talk about heebe jeebes. I was very happy to see that tow truck.
Old March 9, 2007, 11:54 PM   #23
rem33

Quote:
have a problem with are people who have never been to my state telling me what I have to have in it,
A++ on that one.

People that don't live here just don't get it I don't think.
Not for the most part,

We here in rural western areas DO NOT want or need folks that live a thousand or three miles away telling us how to do things here. The only wolf advocates I see on the tube look like they belong to Green Peace (bunny huggers) It isn't necessarily me saying that I hear it a lot, donut shot, barber shop all over.. It's just hey guys, if you don't live and hunt or run cattle here you ain't got a clue.

I have seen a wolf less than 2 miles from my back door. I was living out of town, far enough our dogs ran free. Absolutely nothing between that animal and the dogs, and horses but sage brush. How would you wolf lovers like that in your back yard, with only barb wire fences around?
I got a buddy that is afraid to let his dog out at night, he hears em and sees tracks often near his house.

YOU don't walk in our shoes so don't tell us how to step.
When's the last time you saw a rural fella trying to tell big city guy how to run the city, because it was crime ridden and guns were almost none existent, hardly anyplace to shoot, and his small town was the opposite? Same idea in a lot of ways, think about it.
Now you guys that like wolfs and live out some where back east don't get in a tizzy, but that view I just said is thought and said alot around these parts.

Last edited by rem33; March 10, 2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old March 10, 2007, 01:49 AM   #24
stinger

Quote:
So were bacteria and viruses. What exactly is your point?
Old March 10, 2007, 03:58 PM   #25
kingudaroad

I sure apologize if you feel I would rather see a wolf population thrive if it means your welfare is at stake. That is not my point at all. If their overpopulation is a problem in your area then I can see your point clearly.

That does not mean that they have no right to existence. A lot of times protection issues backfire and overpopulation ensues. Other times overhunting results in extinction. You would think we would be smart enough to figure it out.

I certainly do not have the answers. I did however truly enjoy that story and the pictures.

I am sure those wolves are very dangerous to live around and Jaxx, I wish you the best with your wolf problem.

To compare wolves or any other animal with bacteria and virus is simply ludicrous.