The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 26, 2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Firepower!

Dan Wesson Revolvers

Hi
I would like to ask those of you who have used Dan Wesson revolvers in 4" .357 Magnum extensivley about their durability, reliability and accuracy, as well as their collection value.

I have located one in the local market and would like hear from experts here before I buy it.

Thanks
Old December 26, 2009, 05:14 AM   #2
bamaranger

had one

I had an early one, circa 1980, w/ 6" bbl, and it may have been the most accurate revolver I have ever owned. Prone, off a sandbag, I could consistently bust gallon milk jugs filled w/ water at 100 yds, and clay birds on a good day as well.

It had lockwork probs and had to go to the factory for repair, whereupon its return I traded it.

Also, one time I drove a considerable distance to shoot, only to discover that the bbl assembly had worked loose, after a few rounds, and I did not have the wrench/tool to tighten/reset same, a huge inconvenience.

Not an expert, but these are my experiences. I would not purchase one myself now, if there were other quality options available.
Old December 26, 2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Nowhere Man

I purchased one in 1982 for $125. Very well made. As accurate as any other quality revolver I've shot. I eventually sold it for something else I "had to have".

I don't know what the collectors value will ever be other than to show your grandchild an old gun that was actually made in the U.S.

Dave
Old December 26, 2009, 07:29 AM   #4
geetarman

What Bamaranger said.

I have a 6 inch Dan Wesson 357 as well as a Dan Wesson 6 inch 44V .44 magnum.

The .357 is a joy to shoot and very accurate but sometimes the barrel does come loose.

The .44 magnum is accurate and the double action pull is smooth and crisp. The single action trigger is nice put it takes two men and a boy to cock the hammer.

Dan Wesson has been in and out of business so many times, it is a wonder that you can find any sort of parts for them.

I wouldn't buy another.
Old December 26, 2009, 07:29 AM   #5
Firepower!

Is it something you would buy over a Ruger Gp100 or say SW ?
Old December 26, 2009, 07:33 AM   #6
Firepower!

so far it seems its not really a great gun at all. I was under the impression that they were quality revolves. The one available is a black 4" 357 with wooden grips. However, from the two negative reviews it seems like I should perhaps not buy it?
Old December 26, 2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Lost Sheep

1980 is not early model

My first revolver was a Dan Wesson with a 6" barrel purchased new in Arizona for $150 in 1975.

The early models were manufactured only from 1970 to 1971 and can be easily identified by the exposed barrel nut and the "knee" that covers the cylinder crane's front. In my opinion, they were ugly and poorly balanced.

The later models were beauteous things and well balanced in the 8", 6" and 4" models. The 2.5" barrel never looked right to me.

Geetarman, the difficult of cocking the hammer is the tradeoff you get for the very short hammer fall which hives you the fast lock time.

Would I buy another? Yes. But I would much rather buy a set of Dan Wesson barrels I could mount on my GP100, Security Six, Redhawk or Super Redhawk. I never had any trouble with barrels coming loose, and having that barrel/cylinder gap always perfectly adjusted appealed to me.

Lost Sheep.
Old December 26, 2009, 08:08 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Depending on when the gun was made and at what factory there can be a difference in quality. You should go to the DW forum, http://www.danwessonforum.com/. Read up on the different models and build date info. The good ones are really good revolvers and the raising prices are reflecting that. I have a M15-2 pistol pac that is as accurate as my S&W K38 target Masterpiece with the 8" barrel. Multiple barrel length and controlling barrel gap are to very good design features.

The Pistol Pacs have doubled in price in the past eight teen months, at one time you could pick them up for $350-400 bucks, those days are gone. I picked this up about two years ago for $425

This Model 40-V8S is the most accurate revolver I have owned. Thirty years and thousands of rounds, super mag rounds, and still tight as a drum. A little flame cutting put that's just cosmetic. I put this M40 with the S&W-27 and the Python.
Old December 26, 2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Claddagh

I've owned and shot one of my Dan Wesson M 15-2's for well over 30 years now. I have no idea just how many rounds I've put through it, but the number is certainly well into the five-digits by now. Nothing's broken or worn out yet and it's still capable of shooting tighter groups than I can hold for on any given day.

At one time, it was my only CF handgun and I carried it daily while working a small cattle ranch in SW MO. It never let me down and accounted for a good many small game animals and assorted varmints, including several coyotes.

It was also my most consistently accurate .357 revolver, until I bought another lightly-used Monson-made 15-2 a few years back. The "new" one took over that position by a slight margin.

I've no idea of what a collector would pay for one, but IMO they're wonderful all-around working tools.
Old December 26, 2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Winchester_73

Buy Monson only!

The most important thing to check is whether the gun was a Monson made gun or a Palmer made gun. Monson was the original factory and that factory produced great guns. The Palmer plant had some QC issues and thats when DW got their bad rep and eventually went out of business. I never heard anything bad about Monson guns and I think my friends DW model 15 is a Monsoon gun and its great. Some palmer guns were good as well but many from that factory were not. I would not buy a Palmer gun.
Old December 26, 2009, 03:28 PM   #11
Peter M. Eick

My experience with the Monson and Norwich DW's has all been uniformly positive. Great guns, just not a "big name" so cheaper. The price no where near represents the value you got. I feel that is what did them in, in the end. They were expensive guns that you had to really like because you could not resell them on the open market without losing a lot of money. Thus folks went with more common names.
Old December 26, 2009, 07:32 PM   #12
CajunBass

I've had two of Dan Wesson's 22's. They both shot like laser beams and I never had a bit of trouble with either of them.

I rate my Smith & Wesson 17 slightly higer than the DW, but not by much. Mostly it's because the S&W has better (target) sights.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 26, 2009, 07:42 PM   #13
warnerwh

All mine have worked perfectly for the last 20 years. The design imo is superior to most other brands. Accuracy of course is excellent which is why when Silhouette competition was all the rage 90% of the matches Dan Wessons. If you want thorough information just go to:

http://www.danwessonforum.com/
Old December 26, 2009, 08:04 PM   #14
Chindo18Z

My Monson, 6", Blued, Vent Rib, Full Lug, Heavy Barrel .357 was the most accurate revolver I've ever owned. Never a problem, reliable with all ammunition, and a wonderful trigger.

Naturally, I traded it away. I've been kicking myself ever since.

That weapon would easily outshoot any of my Smith N/L/K-Frames and was more accurate than my Python. It was damn near as pretty.

These days, I've got a 4" .22 version (which also shoot like a laser).

Treat yourself and buy it (a Model 15...not the earlier Model 14 with the exposed barrel nut).
Old December 26, 2009, 10:57 PM   #15
Ian0351

I have a 4" .357 from the Monson era which is a dream to shoot. Shotrly after I purchased it, the shroud worked a tad loose, I bought the little wrench and snugged it up and it hasn't budged in ~500 rounds, about half of them Magnums. It is a great pistol and it is nice to be able to switch out barrels and shrouds depending on your need. There is a need to maintain the barrel/cylinder gap and shroud tightness, but the increased functionality is worth buying the wrench from CZ for $13 or whatever. Fortunately, now that they are owned by a reputable maker with a good customer service department, parts have become pretty available.

Semper Fidelis

Tags
.357 , 357 magnum , dan wesson , revolver