The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Niël .

GLOCK17 gen3

Hi Guys ,

I am getting my first Glock this week .
Its a brand new G17 gen3
Can anyone tell me which normal problems I can expect with the first couple of rounds and how many problem-free rounds should I run through it , before I can be confident that the gun is broke in and reliable for SD ?

Best Regards
Old February 11, 2013, 10:07 AM   #2
tjhands

Good morning and congratulations on buying a VERY fine gun for self-defense! :-)

The G17 will require very little break-in time; once they're cleaned and lubed, they're ready to run. Now, despite the fact that it's one of the most unpicky semi-automatic handguns ever made as far as types of ammo that it will feed, you should still run at least 100 failure-free rounds through it before loading it with that ammo for defense.

I like to really challenge my guns: for each type of ammo I test, I shoot it with both hands, with only my strong hand, with with only my weak hand and with a very loose grip on the gun. Any failure or stoppage and I move on to the next type of ammo.

Again, congrats on the gun. It's tough to find ammo lately. Personally, I have never had a single failure in any of my Glocks with Speer Gold Dot ammo. If you can find that, it would be a good place to start.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:12 AM   #3
tjhands

Ahhh, I see you live in SA. Not sure if you can buy American ammo down there.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:07 AM   #4
toolguy2006

There isn't much you can do to hurt a Glock. Just don't over oil it. Even a tiny bit of fluid down the striker channel and the pistol will fail to fire. The only time any of my Glocks have failed, it was my fault; I got CLP down the striker channel from scrubbing the bolt face.

Have fun with your new toy!
Old February 12, 2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Niël .

We don't have a big variety of ammo to choose from here in SA , the tendency is to load your own ammo for range work and buy the most expensive ammo you can find for SD
Old February 12, 2013, 02:49 AM   #6
glock_country

Hi Niel!

First, congratulation to your Glock 17. It´s a superb gun for self defense purposes!

Until yet I´ve bought three brand new Glocks (17, 19 and 26), and I can´t remember one single failure or problem with on of these guns.

Also I´ve never heard that there exists a break in period with glock pistols.

But I would recommend that you train regulary, and in the beginning a lot, if you have bought it for SD.
Especially when you have owned other pistols before, because not everyone likes the trigger of a glock! So it´s very important to get used to it!!

I wish you a lot of fun and joy with your austrian lady!
Old February 12, 2013, 05:55 AM   #7
Niël .

I have had a customized 1911 and a couple of CZs , so I suppose it will take some getting used too .
Old February 12, 2013, 05:56 AM   #8
JimmyR

Blasphemy!

One does not simply switch from CZ's to Glocks?????

Old February 12, 2013, 07:14 AM   #9
mes228

Glock

Trust Glock. Do not alter it or customize it - you will very likely have a lesser pistol if you do. There is no break in. If a Glock 17 doesn't run ... EVER, it's broken. Let Glock repair it. The Glock 17 is in the top 99.9% of all pistols that have been made for most any measurable performance criteria. Of course this is my opinion but it is based on owning quite a few handguns.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Skans

You should be able to shoot countless rounds of Wolf steel-cased, imported Russian ammo in it without a hiccup. IMHO, that's the true test of a gun - its ability to eat the crappiest ammo out there and not complain. Anyway, my 2-pin Glock17 has been devouring crappy ammo like girl scout cookies since the early '90's. If I could get my hands on some old chinese imported corrosive 9mm for a very cheap price, I'd shoot that in my Glock.

As far as altering the Glock - I installed one of those ghost trigger systems in mine. It still functions flawlessly, but no noticeable difference in trigger performance. I absolutely hate the Glock trigger system, and there is nothing out there that is going to improve it - you either love the glock trigger or tolerate it. It's not that I don't know how to shoot a Glock, its that I don't like having to shoot it the way its supposed to be shot.

Last edited by Skans; February 12, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Can anyone tell me which normal problems I can expect with the first couple of rounds and how many problem-free rounds should I run through it , before I can be confident that the gun is broke in and reliable for SD ?
You shouldn't encounter any problems. The only thing to really look out for is erratic ejection but, in my experience, that only happens in a small percentage of 9mm Glocks.

As to SD----that's a call you have to make. Most folks say 200-400 rounds.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:33 AM   #12
Niël .

I have phoned the police this morning and it seems like I will have to wait another week for my GLOCK's license . I have been waiting since august already.

Why did I change from CZ's to GLOCK ? I had 2x CZ's which I used to shoot in production division in IPSC matches , but at that time I had complications to license those guns and I had to sell it (long story) , however now I know the law and system a bit better .A brand new CZ75 goes for about R10,000-00 in SA if you are lucky enough to get one and the CZ75 Shadow goes for about R 11,500-00 , but the Glock I bought brand new for R7,400-00 .

I hope that I would be able to get use to the trigger , i suppose I do not have a choice ! after all the effort that I have put in to get the License (which I am still waiting for ) I dont have a choice but to like the gun , Yes its really a mission to get a gun licensed in SA and hopefully it wont get worse .
Old February 12, 2013, 09:35 AM   #13
Niël .

Sorry , whats the meaning of "erratic ejection" ?
Old February 12, 2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Mrgunsngear

Guns should generally eject in a consistend pattern (depending on ammo/extractor tension/ejector angel, spring tension, ect...) and some of the recent production Glocks have issues with this and are ejecting brass all over the place to include the shooters' face.

The vast majority of them do not do this but there's a few that do so I just wanted to point it out as something to look for.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Niël .

Thanks , I will be on the lookout for this
Old February 12, 2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Gen 3? You're good. It will be flawless and plastic. Be good to it, and it'll be good to you.

Congrats!

Quote:
Glocks have issues with this and are ejecting brass all over the place to include the shooters' face.
Yes..I am a victim to this. I've had 7-8 Glocks. Only one being a Gen 4, and it loved ejecting brass at my face. Everything else (Gen 3) has been great.

I sold the Gen 4. Not to mention it had all the up to date "good" parts. No fix. So bye bye.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:18 AM   #17
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niël
I have phoned the police this morning and it seems like I will have to wait another week for my GLOCK's license . I have been waiting since august already.

Why did I change from CZ's to GLOCK ? I had 2x CZ's which I used to shoot in production division in IPSC matches , but at that time I had complications to license those guns and I had to sell it (long story) , however now I know the law and system a bit better .A brand new CZ75 goes for about R10,000-00 in SA if you are lucky enough to get one and the CZ75 Shadow goes for about R 11,500-00 , but the Glock I bought brand new for R7,400-00 .

I hope that I would be able to get use to the trigger , i suppose I do not have a choice ! after all the effort that I have put in to get the License (which I am still waiting for ) I dont have a choice but to like the gun , Yes its really a mission to get a gun licensed in SA and hopefully it wont get worse .
Understandable. I meant that mostly in jest, I just tend to prefer the all metal guns instead of the plastic ones. Hope you get your license soon!