The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 20, 2001, 09:52 PM   #1
DPSproles

Self Defense sights...need advice!

I have been looking at a Kahr K9 for CCW and home defense. This will be my only weapon so it will need to fill a number of rolls. I will not be doing alot of long range shotting, but want the best possible weapon (with accessories) that I can afford for personal defense. I have been debating on sights and thought I would get your experiences and suggestions.

What I can tell you is that I know that I will probably want some time of "night sight" on the weapon and beyond that I am reading "commercials" in the magazines and not any real-life experiences. Please advise me of the "best" personal defense sights for my Kahr K9. Price is not THE determining factor, but it does play into the scenario. I will buy what is most reccomended, but I do not HAVE to buy a "name brand" product if there is another "generic" brand that is just as good.

One that I have seen and it seems to make sense is the AO sight system. Any feedback. Of course the tritium type of sights are impressive, but that doesn't really mean the type of sight, just the illumination portion of the sight. Please advise--

David Sproles
Old October 20, 2001, 11:34 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

IN THE DARK.........

MMC adjustable (very good carry rear sight) and/or Ashley Outdoors "Dot" front sight with rear "Express" blade.

I don't use night sights on any of my carry guns, but some folks prefer them.
Old October 21, 2001, 07:38 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

DP, I put a set of the AO Big Dot sights on a Kimber Compact for a customer not too long ago. I got an e-mail from him Friday on another matter but he did take time to report on his new sights. These are not made for target work by any means while they are more than adequate for 7 yd "defense distance". Another avenue you might consider is talking to PT Nightsights about putting tritium inserts in the stock sights. I think it runs about $80 and all they need is the slide. George
Old October 21, 2001, 12:49 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm going with Ashely nite sights on my Sig P220. Old eyes sees big dots better.