The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 22, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Mauser8mm

Best Scope For 8mm Mauser Around $150?

I am looking for a new scope for my 8mm Mauser for around $150, needs to be decently long to fit my mount, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old February 23, 2013, 12:41 AM   #2
tahoe2

try a Pentax Gameseeker 3x9x40 around $120-150 bucks, I have a Pentax 6x42 fixed power on my Yugo 8mm sporter, sadly that model is discontinued.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Huffmanite

A couple of bargain scopes are the Nitrex TR1 and the Weaver 40/44 aspherical lens models at www.natchezss.com Should be $130 or less.

The Nitrex is basically a Weaver Grand Slam scope that sells for a $100 plus more. Nitrex is a discontinued line that was owned by same company that owns Weaver....so Weaver handles the warranty on Nitrex. Scope made in Japan in same plant as Weaver with same optics and internals. Very good optics in it. Not sure about it being long enough for your needs, couldn't mount one of my Nitrex on a long action Savage, but then my action requires a fairly long scope.

The Weaver 40/44 is made in Philippines and the aspherical lens models at Natchez are onsale for about $70 less than they normally sell for. Very good optics in it too. Whats aspherical lens, was a lens design first used in 35 mm cameras and later was adopted for rifle scope use. Think Simmons was first to use it in their Aetec line of scopes a long time ago and it had quite a reputation for clarity/brightness. Own one of these Weavers too, a 3.8-12x44 A.O. and pleased with it.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Polinese

Could look at the weaver classic K scopes. Though they might be too short for a long mount, not sure.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:18 AM   #5
taylorce1

There are a ton of scopes that fit in your price range. Go to Optics Planet and use their slide bar on the lefthand side of the page to set your price to $150 or less. Optics Planet will give you the dimensions on the scopes as well you can find the tube length that will work for you.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:44 AM   #6
sholling

I'm not sure if it's long enough but Natchez has Weaver Classic V10 2-10x38 scopes on sale starting at $140.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Mauser8mm

Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 V-Plex Reticle

Thanks for the replies, I just ordered my Vortex Crossfire II yesterday from Optics Planet and should get it next weekend! Thanks!
Old February 25, 2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Inspector3711

Look at Mueller brand too.... Joeboboutfitters usually has good prices. They get great reviews as a "Best Bang For The Buck" budget scope. I have one and like it so much i'm planning for one more.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Huffmanite

About the Weaver Classic V.....a good scope. Don't own one but a couple of gents I shoot with would recommend it.

Also, check Weaver website....may be a $25 or more rebate available now on the classic V
Old February 25, 2013, 07:06 PM   #10
steveNChunter

The Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 would be perfect and is right at your budget. It is the most scope that can be had for around $150 IMO. You should be happy with the Vortex as well. The main thing that turns me off about it is its made in China. From what I've seen as far as Asian made optics go, Japanese and Philippines scopes are usually of better quality, but Vortex seems to be an exception to that rule.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Mauser8mm

Thanks!

Ill have to check the Burris out next time I buy a scope. Thanks! Oh and I like that bible verse!