The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2002, 12:15 AM   #1
glockinmysock

Question re: Forster trimmer and .223

Hi all. Thanks in advance for your time. I have been reloading pistol for a few years now, just got into loading for my soon-to-have AR. So I am new to trimming. Installed my N-I-B Forster precision trimmer on my bench, put the proper collet and pilot in, and tried to trim some brass I just received from Scharch. I have two issues:

1) I have a lot of trouble getting the pilot (22) to enter the case neck, even with a lot of pressure and turning from the crank. Once I get it in (pretty much by force), it is hard to pull it out. Is this normal?

2) This issue might be related to #1 above - do you have to hold the case with one hand (against the collet) while trying to spin the crank/cutter with your other hand? I find that it is very hard for me to grip the case, as once the pilot is forced in it wants to turn the whole case and I have to squeeze like hell to hold it still.

I am a medical student, and am smart enough to know the problem is likely ME and not my equipment! Please enlighten me as to the proper way to use this valuable tool. Thanks again, I really appreciate it. Love this site, by the way.

-g.i.m.s.
Old February 1, 2002, 12:58 AM   #2
JackM

Hi:
First, tighten the collet with the hand screw until the case stops spinning. The collet has three steps and a .223 case has to go into the deepest step. Did you tighten the collet too much so that the case won't go in? Be sure you've got a #1 collet. The number is stamped on the outside end.

Assuming you've got the right pilot, that new brass might need a trip over the expander ball of your resizing die. Sorry, it's getting late and I can't think of anything else right now.

Bye
Jack
Old February 1, 2002, 09:25 PM   #3
kurt IA.

besides what jackM said, you can try some graphide in the necks.
Old February 2, 2002, 12:58 AM   #4
Bill Adair

GIMS,

Just reloaded my first box of .223 the other day, but I think Jack got it right.

New brass has probably not been neck expanded, so it will be almost too tight to accept the pilot.

Lube those new cases lightly, and run them through your sizing die, with the neck expander stem in place. (Caution, be sure to remove the depriming pin, if you have already primed those cases!) This opens up the neck a few thousandths from the resized diameter as the stem is pulled back through the neck, when the case is withdrawn from the die. A little dry lube (motor mica) makes neck expanding much easier, but some dies come with carbide expander buttons, and don't need inside lube.

You will also find that resizing the cases causes them to grow a few thousandths in length, so you should always resize before trimming, and regardless of what some may tell you, always resize new cases before loading!

Here is what I do to get the cases indexed into the collets accurately.

1. Back out the collet lock screw so it is not touching the collet.

2. Hold a resized case in the collet, as you guide the pilot into the case mouth.

3. Now press the trimmer shaft and pilot lightly against the case, which pushes it into the collet, and while holding light pressure on the trimmer shaft, slowly rotate the shaft, and tighten the collet lock handle at the same time.

Rotating the case with light pressure against the collet will tend to wipe any dust or dirt out of the collet, and seat the base of the case completely flat against the collet.

4. Trim to length.

Do you have a good chamfering/deburring tool? You will need to do that after trimming, to take the sharp edges and burrs off the case mouth.

Good luck!

Bill
Old February 2, 2002, 01:15 PM   #5
swifter...

Actually, this is pretty normal for resized brass.
You can: Polish a thou or so off the pilot; or, better choice, get a Sinclair (or K&M or etc...) expander mandrel and body to hold it, and expand the brass .001. Use lube, Imperial Die Wax is best.
Expanded, with the lube, it will turn easily and smoothly.

Tom
Old February 6, 2002, 09:56 AM   #6
Khornet

Glockinmysock,

I find that I must lube inside case necks and/or on the pilot of my Forster trimmer, and cases must have gone thru the expander first. It's a great trimmer tho.
How is Med school going? A bitch, aint it? Hang in there, bro. Shooting pretty much got me through. I remember carrying my Ruger MkII to the hospital unloaded in my backpack, to stop at the range enroute home for an hour of targets....very therapeutic. Good luck, and don't worry if your classmates think you're nuts, same thing happened to me.
Old February 6, 2002, 03:21 PM   #7
glockinmysock

fellow brethren....

Wow, khornet, glad to commiserate with someone who's been through the ranks! Thanks for the advice. I don't even tell any of my "fellow' students about my love for firearms / reloading. None of their damn business. They aren't really my "fellow" students anyways, as I am a career changer (i.e. OLDER, but not by much), married, and don't really have much in common with these young posturers (sorry, you caught me on a bad day). Plus, the AMA pretty much did all but sell out firearm-owning physicians, so everyone in my area is quite brainwashed (the only phrase they tell us to tell our patients is, "Get the gun out of the house!"). I feel like there is nothing worse than being in a room with 215 medical students for 7 hours a day. Thank god for Walkmans! Anyways, in June comes Step 1 of the USMLE and then I go clinical, so I am excited about that.

My love for anatomy, physiology, and specifically surgery and trauma ("both sides of the bullet") is what is getting me through - and a VERY compassionate wife. What field of medicine are you in? It would be nice to chat with someone with similar interests for a change (i.e. medicine AND guns).

Thanks a lot for your reply, hopefully it is just a lack-of-expansion problem - I'll know as soon as i get my Dillon die set, which may be a while because they are backordered.

Take care.

-gims

Medical Student
NRA member
Husband of very supportive woman!
Old February 7, 2002, 12:02 AM   #8
JackM

Hi, glockinmysock:
This Canadian doctor stirs things up!
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/mikeack/Links.htm

The other guy's advise about the Forster trimmer is good too. Mine's only 30 years old, so I don't know how long it will last.

Bye
Jack
Old February 7, 2002, 05:13 PM   #9
topstrap

I agree with Bill Adaire, I used to use a Forster all the time and it took a bit of experimenting to get smooth at it. I sized them first, then I used to stick them in the collet, slide the pilot up to it and then use the pilot to shove it back into the collet turning the crank slightly as I tightened the collet to get it to seat evenly and straight. I now use a Lyman that has a Universal chuck and I really like it better than the Forster. I think I might even have a couple of Forster Collets lying around here. I had mine mounted to a 2x6 so it was easier to hold and not be in the way on the bench all the time.
Old February 8, 2002, 10:48 AM   #10
Khornet

Glockinmysock,

Composed a long private reply yesterday but it was too long and wouldn't transmit.
I'm 48, a gastroenterologist in private solo practice in NH, Navy trained, husband/father of 5, hunter/flyfisher/brewer/target shooter/CCW licensed.

1. we should check how many Docs here.....Lonegunman is one. Maybe we need a forum.
2. Email me [email protected] . I have lots to tell but your email is classified (as is mine)

Khornet
Old February 9, 2002, 03:45 AM   #11
Bill Adair

Topstrap,

Bought my Forester used, with only one collet. Picked up everything but the #4, which I figured I'd never use anyway.

I shoot mostly handguns, so the Forester works well enough. The Lyman locking collet sounds like a nice improvement.

Bill