The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 19, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1
WildWilly

Should I?

I have an original 98 Mauser that is in good to very good condition. As of right now it is nothing but a safe queen. I want to have it drilled and tapped for a set of standard scope mounts. If I do this, how much would it affect the value? I know it will hurt the value, but how much?
Old December 19, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2
warbirdlover

I don't think the tapped holes would drop the value much, especially if filled with screws BUT you'd have to have the bolt handle modified or you won't clear a scope. (I had sporterized a '03 Springfield years ago so know a little about it).
Old December 19, 2011, 01:27 PM   #3
taylorce1

If you do that it will make your rifle worth about $250 as an action to build on, maybe a little more depending on which M98 it is. Don't touch a thing on it if it is an un-molested M98 rifle. If you want to shoot it with a scope put ATI stock on it. You still can't run a standard scope on it without a bent bolt handle but you can run a "scout scope" set up.

If you want a sporterized M98 just go on Gunbroker or Auctionarms and buy one already D&T for a scope. I love old military sporters but I will not destroy a military rifle to build one. I'd sell the rifle before I put a drill to it.
Old December 19, 2011, 01:43 PM   #4
emcon5

Also depends on how "Original" it is. Value on K98s is a really wide range, from ~$300 for a mismatch Soviet rework to thousands for an all matching, GI Bringback with rare codes and capture papers, to $10,000+ for an all original matching Sniper rifle with the same.

And drilling holes in it essentially makes it worthless as a collector. The people willing to pay the kind of money some of these guns bring, simply will not pay it for an altered rifle.
Old December 19, 2011, 01:45 PM   #5
TX Hunter

You Shouldnt. If you look around you can find one thats already sporterized for less than it will cost to modify yours. It kills the value.
Old December 19, 2011, 02:00 PM   #6
kraigwy

To sporterize an orginal "as issued" Mauser means you take a $300 (at least) put in $80 in to drilling for mounts, ($20 a hole) plus rings and scopes, leaves you with a $150 dollar rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 19, 2011, 02:01 PM   #7
WildWilly

I don't want to sporterize it. I just want to add a scope. And the bolt is originally bent.
Old December 19, 2011, 02:08 PM   #8
JerryM

I doubt that it is worth more than probably 350, but what if it is worth 600? It is just a safe queen unless you desire to sell it. I say sporterize it and don't worry about it being worth a few hundred dollars less.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old December 19, 2011, 02:17 PM   #9
TX Hunter

Wild Willy

Your k98 stock is designed for iron sights, your safety will interfere with a scope, and your bolt handle will not clear a low mounted scope. A high mounted scope might work but the stock configuration would make that uncomfortable. So you would need your safety modified, your bolt handle modified, pluss drilling and tapping. You end up with a good rifle thats not worth much. Its up to you.
Old December 19, 2011, 02:33 PM   #10
handlerer2

I believe the OP said the bolt was turned already. The original condition is history. He can do what ever he wants to with it. I say shoot it and enjoy it!
Old December 19, 2011, 02:48 PM   #11
TX Hunter

Handler

The K 98 bolt handle is turned, but still will not clear a low mounted scope.
Old December 19, 2011, 03:39 PM   #12
Smokey Joe

Bubbafying...

Wild Willy--I used to be of the school that said, Hey, it's your rifle, do what you darn please with it. Back in the '60's I Bubba'd a couple myself--Both the Enfield and the '03A3 were cheap and plentiful, as was your k98.

Nowadays it's different. Firstly, as the man said, "They ain't makin' 'em no more." So if you have a pristine original, it oughta be left that way for the historical value if for no other reason. Once a drill touches it, POOF! its historical value to a collector is ruined forever.

Secondly, it costs about the same to buy a new Rem 700, all set up like you want, or a new Win 70, or similar Ruger or (best of all) Savage, as it would to have your k98 Bubba'd up to be the rifle of your dreams. Back in the day, the military actions were so much less expensive than now, and gunsmith work didn't cost an arm and a leg per hour.

Thirdly, if you want to do a "learning project" (a fine idea, IMHO) you can easily get a NON-pristine milsurp, or a commercial rifle of your choice, to work on, relatively cheaply at almost any gun show or LGS.

So--You asked for opinions. What you finally do is of course up to you, and still and all, it is YOUR rifle. I'd either keep it as a safe queen, or sell it to a collector who will prize it forever. But that's me.

Before you make any decision, I'd study up thoroughly on exactly what you have, and exactly what you need to do--or have done--to make it what you want. The study of the k98 is a whole sub-division of gun collecting all unto itself.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; December 19, 2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old December 20, 2011, 02:07 AM   #13
emcon5

Have you considered a forward mounted "scout" scope?

I have one of these, and it seems to work fairly well, with no permanent damage to the rifle.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...A-SCOUT-MOUNTS

You can get a cheap pistol scope for about $50

Tags
98k , mauser , scope , sniper