The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: what shotgun shell would you use if you lived in an apartment?
00 Buck 56 35.90%
#4 Buck 49 31.41%
Turkey Shot 14 8.97%
#4 bird shot 37 23.72%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 31, 2009, 03:09 PM   #76
EAJ702

The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth

Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls
Old August 4, 2009, 06:42 PM   #77
INMY01TA

00 Buck. You'll most likely never need to use but in the event that I do I don't really care what happens to my walls I want the BG dead.
Old August 4, 2009, 07:37 PM   #78
Bill DeShivs

I can't possibly understand how you people could possibly think that birdshot at very close range would not be devastatingly lethal, yet you think a .45 auto is a "ray gun". A one inch hole, 8 inches deep in someone's chest beats a .45 any day.
I am not particularly a supporter of birdshot for defense, but some comments here are ridiculous.
Old August 4, 2009, 08:52 PM   #79
Kmar40

Quote:
I can't possibly understand how you people could possibly think that birdshot at very close range would not be devastatingly lethal,
Well from my law enforcement experience (and prior EMS/ER service also), I could possibly think that it isn't devasting because of the several people I've seen shot with it at point blank range who had only superficial wounds. All of these were at worst walking wounded after core hits (chest or head) with birdshot.

I've seen people killed with it too. However, I've seen way to many failures to ever consider it an effective round. And the gellatin testing and other approximations (box o truth water jugs) just happens to agree with my personal experience.

Use what YOU want. I guess you can always go for one of your Bill custom shivs when the birdshot fails.
Old August 5, 2009, 04:58 AM   #80
darkgael

no doubt

Quote:
Well from my law enforcement experience (and prior EMS/ER service also), I could possibly think that it isn't devasting because of the several people I've seen shot with it at point blank range who had only superficial wounds. All of these were at worst walking wounded after core hits (chest or head) with birdshot.
I don't doubt your experience. It makes me think. I am trying to wrap my mind around that idea - that any shotgun load at point blank range could produce only a superficial wound. I can't argue with what you have seen.
Pete
Old August 5, 2009, 10:48 AM   #81
firespectrum

Even if birdshot only produces a superficial wound (not saying it does), who takes a 12 guage blast and goes, "Haha! It's merely a superficial wound!" If you end up shooting him, BG knows you have a shotgun, knows you're willing to use it, and is bleeding and in lots of pain. BG is probably going to vacate very quickly. If you forsee someone coming into your house solely intent on killing you, I'd go 00 buck, but most burglars/rapists will be dissuaded by getting shot with anything. They want what they want but they don't want any trouble. I think birdshot is more than enough trouble for most. Stopping the intruder is my paramount concern, followed by the safety of neighbors & family; killing the intruder is just a nice little plus.
Old August 5, 2009, 11:37 AM   #82
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I could possibly think that it isn't devasting because of the several people I've seen shot with it at point blank range who had only superficial wounds. All of these were at worst walking wounded after core hits (chest or head) with birdshot.
Were any of these people aggressors and did any of them continue their aggression after being shot? Could you possibly define "point blank"? I saw a kid on TV that was shot point blank in the head with 12ga birdshot and he was LITERALLY missing the entire quadrant of his head. Miraculously, he survived.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:04 PM   #83
T.A.Sharps

It all boils down to how effective you want the load you shoot to be when your life is on the line.

If you were living next to my apartment, I would tell you carry a sling shot because anything you shoot is going to go through an apartment's walls. Birdshot or no.

Birdshot will wound a man, it will not put a man down.

Birdshot will just give the intruder the incentive to actually kill you. You will be instigating a "Fight or Flight" moment for the him. The desired outcome is if you scared or hurt him enough, he will stop what he is doing and run out, or hopefully he is weak enough that an ugly wound will make him give up.

If his reaction (not decision) in this second is to start shooting back, you have brought a birdgun to a gunfight, and he is packing a pistol shooting 9mm 40cal or 45, or maybe a revolver shooting 38 or .357. None of which chosen because of light penetration.
Old August 5, 2009, 04:45 PM   #84
shortwave

Quote:
Birdshot will wound a man, it will not put a man down.
Quote:
I`m not particularly a supporter of birdshot for defense but some comments here are ridiculous.
Simply amazing. I see what your saying Bill. I bet the loved ones of the many people killed in accidental shootings with birdshot over the years may tend to dissagree with some of these statements, not counting the number of BG`s thats six ft. under. I hope the novice shooter doesn`t believe those kind of comments.
Old August 5, 2009, 08:03 PM   #85
Bill DeShivs

An ounce of lead, put 6 -12 inches into a man's chest, will most certainly "put a man down."
It won't do it at 40 feet, but at 10 feet it certainly will.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:11 AM   #86
Kmar40

Ignorance is bliss.
Old August 6, 2009, 04:24 PM   #87
shortwave

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss.
Kmar, please explain your statement. If you`re referring to comments of either Bill Deshivs or myself, I`m failing to see that what you`re saying is different than us. Your statement:
Quote:
I`ve seen people killed with it too.
B. Deshivs statement:
Quote:
I am not particularly a supporter of birdshot for defense, but some of these comments here are ridiculous.
As you,neither of us are condoneing birdshot as a SD round but a flat statement "that birdshot WILL NOT put a man down" is insane and should`nt be made as there may be people here that have never owned a shotgun or have any knowledge of what various rounds are capable of. You didn`t make that statement(someone else did) but there should be NO misunderstanding that birdshot CAN be a lethal round. Again, I fail to see the ignorance.
Quote:
At say, 15 ft. a load of birdshot will nearly cut a man into
Now there`s a statement ridiculous to the other side of the spectrum.

Last edited by shortwave; August 6, 2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old August 6, 2009, 06:33 PM   #88
inSight-NEO

My vote is for 00 Buck, but in the low recoil (9 shot) variant. Now, Im no ammunition afficianado so Im not sure how this compares to say, #1 or #4 Buckshot. Personally, I use the Federal brand (as of now the LE version) for HD and based on what Ive gleaned, the low recoil 00 Buckshot has a muzzle velocity of 1140 and therefore, seems almost at the "bottom of the list" in terms of muzzle velocity for 00 Buckshot.

Therefore Im wondering, given the "lower" muzzle velocity of the low recoil 00 Buck (vs. the usual 1250-1350+ or so of "standard" 00 Buck), if this could be considered an effective and somewhat "safer" round for those of us who prefer using 00 buckshot for HD (in an apartment type environment) vs. say, #1 or #4 Buckshot.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; August 6, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:27 PM   #89
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Closed, since some folks find it hard to play well with others.....
Closed Thread