The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 28, 2013, 10:37 PM   #1
9mm

The color of grips, slip ons and forends. Bright colors?

What is the deal with these "Zombie green" and "hot pink" colors ? lol I mean, really? you can be spotted a mile away with the hot pink and the zombie green you can see a good ways too. If you are all "tactical" this wouldn't help at all. Does anyone use these bright colors? I buy all my gear in black or tan. The pink is okay for a woman's gun but still, who would roll with all pink at the range, I seen guys with hello kitty on their AR before....
Old April 29, 2013, 05:41 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

Firearms, shooting sports...

Firearms by en large have been a part of the US culture & heritage since the very start. Since then, many people have customized their weapons or modified them to reflect the owner's or user's taste/style.

Like it or not, guns have become a huge fad to many in this country and they want to use bright colors, engraving, custom grips, artwork, etc.

I, for one, would think it'd be extremely difficult to explain to a homicide investigator or a jury in open court why you had some Zombie Killer brand ammunition or had a Grim Reaper on handgun grips then had a use-of-force incident.
Humor, sarcasism and/or fads do not really have a place in real armed protection or defense.

Now, for general target practice, collecting or for having a "BBQ gun", then you can have a firearm with these features.
I know a well known film industry stunt performer & Korea war era combat veteran who's wife totes a K frame .357magnum with pink Hogue grips, .
I've also seen increased use of bright pink handcuffs by female law enforcement officers & bail enforcement agents.

CF
Old April 29, 2013, 07:57 AM   #3
jmr40

Target shooters using rifles and shotguns have been using some pretty wild colors on their guns for quite some time. I've even seen some hunting rifles with some pretty wild colors. No reason not to do the same with handguns. I wouldn't mind doing it if in the right colors, even on a hunting rifle.

These are not mine. They are photos I borrowed that have been posted on the internet showing some wild stock colors.

More here.

http://mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-finishes.php

Old April 29, 2013, 08:33 AM   #4
MLeake

Not my cup of tea, but as far as the rifle stocks go, they are all in camo patterns.

Note that Realtree hunter clothing is available in blaze orange camo. The theory is that most game is color-blind, so the pattern matters more than the color as far as not spooking game - so might as well use bright colors for the other hunters.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
SPEMack618

While I don't have a set, and probably never will, if I were to deploy again, I would get the MagPul flat dark earth furniture for my M-4.

It sorta sucks when you finally get a pattern that works well(yay Multi-Cam) and still carry an all black rifle around.

I don't have a problem with the "zombie green" slip on accessories for range guns, nor the pink ones, but don't think that have a place on any dedicated self defense gun.

Side note: Both my sorority girl sister and sorority girl girlfriend are all business when it comes to actual guns, even preferring the all black "tactical" look somewhat, but when it comes to ancillary products, my word, it looks like somebody nuked a Ranger Joes and Victoria Secret and the resultant refuse was thrown into my gun room.

Also, the neck dedicated duck hunting shotgun I buy will be in a camo pattern, more than likely Realtree Max-4D or Mossy Oak shadow grass, for much the same reason I listed above in regards to my M-4, it just doesn't make sense to be dressed like the Duck Commander and then have this black lump in your hands.