The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 1, 2013, 11:16 PM   #1
militant

Ruger Security 6

I am getting one of these in .357 mag with a 6 inch barrel in stainless. It's in very good shape. Are they good revolvers? What are they worth? I sold my glock an got one of these to CC. Please don't insult, I fell in love with revolvers this year and want more.
Old February 1, 2013, 11:41 PM   #2
C5rider

No insult here. Everything I've read about them and my own personal experience is that you'll love the gun. Value? Hard for me to say but I'm sure that others with more experience will come along. A photo would surely help make that decision as well, if you've got one. Enjoy that Ruger!
Old February 1, 2013, 11:41 PM   #3
SQUAREKNOT

I had one years ago and traded it for a S&W model 19.
Been looking for one ever sense. The S&W is supposed to be worth two of the Rugers in price and if someone has two Rugers I got a Model 19-3
6" with little use. 4" barrels please
Old February 1, 2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Workhorse

I've got two, one in a 4" and one in a 2/34" barrel, both in stainless steel and both in mint condition.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:03 AM   #5
Slopemeno

I have two. I really like them and have owned one since 1980 or so.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:13 AM   #6
cheezhed

I have one I bought new in 1975 and it is a great revolver. I call it my pre-model 10. It is a six inch in stainless and was my first handgun it is in great shape and some day it will go to my son.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Crazy88Fingers

A six-inch barrel won't be fun to conceal, but otherwise they're great guns. Arguably the best double-action revolvers Ruger ever made.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:16 AM   #8
JimmyR

While I would never bash a purchase of a Security Six

Dude, you got a 6" barrel for CC?

Que?

Anyways, you got an excellent handgun, and one that will last forever if maintained. I think, however, you may have made a mistake selling the Glock for the Ruger if your intended purpose is CC.

(God, please don't strike me down for suggesting someone keep a Glock over a Sec Six).

As for value, I have been seeing Security Six's in my area go for anywhere from $400-$600, depending on condition. They have become popular again, and are bringing in a premium.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:04 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Ruger will out last any other revolver. Built tough like a Russian tractor.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:46 AM   #10
skidder

They are strong and balance nice in the hand. The Security Six is a fine revolver.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old February 2, 2013, 12:49 PM   #11
militant

You would be surprised what you can conceal under a Carnhart jacket in the winter. That 6 inch barrel makes the .357 shine. I target practice with .38 fmj and carry hornady critical defense 125 gr. I'll let you guys know what I think about it after a trip to the range
Old February 2, 2013, 03:44 PM   #12
gwnorth

I don't have a security six but do have a pair of service sixes (their fixed sights sibling). Mine are both stainless, one 4" and the other 3". The Six series (security, service and speed six) are great guns and will last several generations lifetimes.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Sharpsdressed Man

The Ruger Security Six is the only .357 that I own. I have owned Colts and Smith & Wesson .357's, but none held up as well or matched the accuracy of the Ruger. (Oh, the Pythons were accurate, but their "hands" would wear a little too quickly.)
Old February 2, 2013, 04:50 PM   #14
357 Python

I own Colt and S&W 357 Magnum revolvers and while I am pleased with them I wish I had a Security Six in my collection. Thirty+ years ago I passed on several 4" models and have been quicking myself ever since. The Security Six is one of the finest revolvers Ruger ever made and is probably the most sought after.
Old February 2, 2013, 06:42 PM   #15
arizona98tj

Ruger Security Six

The best thing to bring to an unexpected late-night meet & greet!

I've had mine since the '70s and have yet to grow tired of it.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:36 PM   #16
jrothWA

BUY it! Its' agreat revolver...

have had mine for 10 years now. Nice four inch, easy to carry especially hiking in either a fanny pack, Bianchi #6L IWB or shoulder holster.

^ incha bit long for CPL but doable, get it and enjoy, while you look for a 4".
Old February 3, 2013, 12:17 AM   #17
skidder

Quote:
I am getting one of these in .357 mag with a 6 inch barrel in stainless. It's in very good shape. Are they good revolvers? What are they worth? I sold my glock an got one of these to CC.
They are very good, and worth more and more everyday. When I first started buying them (2 years ago) they were in the low $300 range. Now... $450 to $550 for a nice one.

Don't know much about CC, I open carry. I'm sure it's doable with the right rig.

Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old February 3, 2013, 02:07 AM   #18
oldgunsmith

The Ruger will likely still be working when all the Colts, S&W's, or any of the others are worn completely out.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:12 AM   #19
b.thomas

I've had the exact S6 for about two years now............................would not trade it for anything has is it has become my favorite handgun.
Mine is a .357 mag ,1982 model with the red insert front sight.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:16 AM   #20
4V50 Gary
Staff

I carried one for years. They're excellent revolvers.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:38 AM   #21
TexasDave

Grips

Love my security six. I suggest replacing the walnut grips if you will be using .357 ammunition.

Old February 3, 2013, 12:59 PM   #22
Whirlwind06

I found 3 last year. 2 speed sixes and 1 service six. All with the 2 3/4 barrels. Need to get a 6 and 4 inch to round out the collection.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:36 PM   #23
skidder

Quote:
I found 3 last year. 2 speed sixes and 1 service six. All with the 2 3/4 barrels. Need to get a 6 and 4 inch to round out the collection.
I would love to find a short one. None in these parts, but I'm always looking.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:58 PM   #24
roaddog28

Hi,
Like others have said, a Security Six or any of the Six line are the most underrated revolver in my opinion. I agree with others that the Six line was the best double action revolver Ruger ever made. A lot of folks also like the GP100. I do too. But the GP100 is a bulkier revolver and is not a good cc
revolver because of the bulk. I have a old Ruger Police Service Six 4 inch. I do carry the revolver. A wind breaker and the right holster does a good job in concealing this revolver. I use Hoque rubber grips on my Service Six to absorb recoil shooting 357 magnums. Does a good job.
Bottom line:
You will not be disappointed with a Security Six.
Good luck,
Howard
Old February 3, 2013, 02:51 PM   #25
dscampbell

this 2 3/4 " is in its third life with me. It started out in the holster of a police officer in California's gold country. He passed it to an army helicopter pilot who carried it for two tours in Vietnam. For the last ten years it has served as my night stand gun.

Scott Campbell
Remember wheel guns are real guns too
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD