The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 30, 2007, 11:43 PM   #1
Wildalaska

WA stumped by bizarre and cool SMLE Accessory

Bought a copy (been looking for this one for a while) of Browns IWM Book of the First World war, and there on the frontispiece is a pic of some men of the Worcestershire Regiment waiting their turn on the Somme holding their rifles...

And attached to their SMLEs, on left side of the nose cap is a set of....WIRECUTTERS!!!!

I cant figure out how they work. Anybody ever seen a pair? I havent...ever.....nor was I even aware they existed

WildnewthingAlaska
Old June 30, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Redneckrepairs

Nope never seen em , Took me a bit to figger out how the " wirecutter " end of my stg 58 worked tho , after i did hell it even works on rebar lol .
Old July 1, 2007, 12:05 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am really digging into the memory on this, but I seem to recall reading that there were two kinds. One was the conventional "bolt cutter" type attached to the rifle in lieu of the bayonet. The other was a sort of V shaped guide which was intended to guide the wire to the muzzle of the rifle so a shot would cut it.

Regular wire cutters were also used, but they were hand held, not attached to the rifle.

Jim
Old July 1, 2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Redneckrepairs

Jim the second type is what the stg 58 fal has , and there is a new spendy attachment for the ar platform that does the same . basicly center it in the flash suppression cuts and pull the trigger with ball ammo. It is the same idea that a breaching break uses with 12 ga slugs to take a door down .
Old July 1, 2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Wildalaska

This was a V shape......so Jim its just a guide you reckon? This was off to the side so it wasn't mounted like a bayo...

WE NEED A BRIT HERE...CALLING ALL BRITS...IGNORANT YANK ALErT.

I WANT ONE!!!!

WildcoolcoolAlaska

PS..Red I think you center, twist and shoot in those
Old July 1, 2007, 08:08 AM   #6
SDC

Is this the type you saw, WA? A fellow named anzac16 posted a pic of his over at a WW1 forum, and he describes it as working basically the same way as a standard pair of garden shears. The soldier would push the rifle into the wire, and the body of the cutter is hinged so that as it rotates backwards, the two cutter blades (riveted onto the body of the cutter with those two largest rivets) cam together, cutting the wire.

Last edited by SDC; July 1, 2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old July 1, 2007, 08:41 AM   #7
deadin

Quote:
I WANT ONE!!!!
Why?? Have the natives got you fenced in??
Old July 1, 2007, 12:36 PM   #8
Wildalaska

Thats it!!!!!

You are my hero!

When the Yukon and NWT secede from Canada and join Alaska in that new independent nation called Meltedpermafrostia, you should flee Ontario!

I WANT ONE (at a reasonable price)

Quote:
Have the natives got you fenced in??
No, check this out an acessory like this fits in with my mania. Like when I take my (unloaded 1911) and start peering under the bed...when SWMBO asks what I am doing I tell her I am digging Jap soldiers out of caves...a few well placed "take that Tojo"s makes her run over to the computer and start pricing tickets back to Tokyo!

Now Im gonna get a Webley and an Enfield and one of these wire cutter accessories, dig a hole in the yard, and start charging it yelling "Take that Fritz, here come the 4th Bantam Regiment of Feet, Sussex division"..

SWMBO thinks I am crazy, I want to see what the neighbors think!

WildanyoneeverseecornellwildeinthenakedpreyAlaska