The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 14, 2016, 09:41 PM   #1
Prof Young

Your state tighter or looser gun laws?

I think our (gun owners) mind set is that gun laws are always getting tighter and tighter. But here in IL, we have concealed carry now. Yes, we need a Firearms Owner Identity card and there is a one day wait on long gun purchases and three days on hand guns, but all that has been in place for a long time. We have no mag restrictions and our legislation is working on legalizing silencers. I think IL is on the upswing.

What's going on in your state?

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old June 14, 2016, 09:46 PM   #2
SHR970

I live in the Democratik Peoples Republik of Kalifornia....nuff said.

P.S. I don't care if certain mods take offense; I grew up and lived here most of my life....and I am old enough to have voted for Reagan.
Old June 14, 2016, 10:02 PM   #3
motorhead0922

A bill in Missouri is on the governor's desk awaiting his signature. If he signs, it will make Missouri another state with no need for a permit to carry concealed. It also will expand castle doctrine, and stand-your-ground, and the ability for school teachers and administrators to carry. It's not a sure thing though that Governor Nixon will sign it. He has until July 15.

Missouri already has the distinction of having nowhere in the state (other than Federal buildings) where carrying a firearm is a criminal offense. Carrying in a school, police station, hospital, church, etc., if discovered, is nothing more than grounds for the CCW holder to have to leave the premises.

Kansas, on the other hand, is firearms utopia...
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old June 14, 2016, 10:39 PM   #4
rwilson452

Here in PA things have been stable for some time. We are still having difficulty with some government officials following the law but ever so slowly they come around especially when faced with law suits.
Old June 15, 2016, 05:20 AM   #5
mikejonestkd

I live in NY......

There's not much that can be said about that as far as firearm laws, since we lead the nation!!

We're number one!!
Old June 15, 2016, 06:24 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I live in Arkansas. Over all it's pretty stable, but our General Assembly passed a civil immunity statute last year. for lawful SD situations, to include an award of attorneys' fees to the SD shooter who successfully defends on the issue of immunity.
Old June 15, 2016, 08:09 AM   #7
BarryLee

A couple of years ago there was a good bill that passed which implemented more freedoms. However, this year the Governor vetoed a campus carry bill because he said it didn’t prohibit carry in day care centers or something like that. Also, Georgia has a growing presence from those dingoes of Everytown against truth and freedom. There’s also that pesky issue of changing demographics as more outsiders move here, so I think it’s important we make as much progress now because I think we may be in trouble in a few years.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 15, 2016, 08:10 AM   #8
terzmo

"A bill in Missouri is on the governor's desk awaiting his signature. If he signs, it will make Missouri another state with no need for a permit to carry concealed. It also will expand castle doctrine, and stand-your-ground, and the ability for school teachers and administrators to carry. It's not a sure thing though that Governor Nixon will sign it. He has until July 15."

BUT....holy mackeral andy !!! This is NOT politically correct per bama and hillary,and the rest of the gun grabbers.
I'm in New Yorkistan...we have no 2nd ammendment rights....if not for SCOPE and GOA we'd really be hosed...the nra does nothing here.
Old June 15, 2016, 06:49 PM   #9
FITASC

FL is basically stable, but things could go wrong if a Dem gets in or they gain control of the Legislature.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 15, 2016, 08:48 PM   #10
speedrrracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young
What's going on in your state?
Like SHR970, I'm in CA. Before answering, I should let any readers know that the following response may cause blood to boil, projectile vomiting, loss of faith in The System, severe emotional distress and is not recommended for children under 17 or expectant mothers.

We have:

AB 1663 - Chiu - ban semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines and bullet buttons

AB 1674 - Santiago - 1 purchase only in 30 days would apply to purchases of ALL firearms (handguns, rifles, and shotguns) INCLUDING private party transfer

AB 1798 - Cooper, 2016 - Firearms: imitation firearms: gun-shaped phone cases

SB 894 - Jackson, 2016 - Criminalizes Not Reporting Stolen Firearm.

2016 SB 1006 Wolk Firearm Violence Research Center creation

2016 SB 1037 Allen Importing out of State firearms.

AB 2459 McCarty 2016 bill would require videotaping sales of firearms

2016 SB 1407 De León. Firearms: identifying information

AB 1673 Gipson, 2016 - 80% lowers

and a handful more...it's hard to keep track of the blizzard of anti-gun legislation. Librarian has probably tried to post the entire list, but in doing so would doubtless crash the internetz.

Here are comments from our elected representatives:

Sen. Isadore Hall (D-Compton) denounced gun-control opponents who testified that the bills would not save lives. He called them “crazy, vicious, heartless” people, adding that “they need to wash their mouths because they are filthy.”

Assemblymember Evan Low stated that “The reason they were murdered was because of your [the NRA] organization.”

The Brady Campaign advocate came up to [pro-2A lobbyist] Craig DeLuz outside of the Senate Public Safety committee and personally blamed him for the death of 49 Americans this past weekend.

Just another year in CA.
Old June 17, 2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Don P

Stable here in FLA. We have one rep in south FLA that continually blocks gun legislation from going forward, namely campus carry and open carry. Seems according to reports the wording on the changes to our "brief exposure" leaves too much gray area and folks are " supposedly" being prosecuted in certain counties for displaying in a menacing manner.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 17, 2016, 03:09 PM   #12
JWT

Arizona continues to be reasonable and stable.
Old June 17, 2016, 03:42 PM   #13
2ndsojourn

Here in NJ, there's countless 'gun safety' bills waiting for a liberal governor to submit them to. The legislature knows that if they submit them now, Christie will veto them.
Old June 18, 2016, 12:27 AM   #14
kozak6

Arizona is delightful. Gun laws tend to be very agreeable, such as allowing constitutional carry.

In the past couple months, Doug Ducey signed three pro-gun bills.

Senate Bill 1266 strengthens the state's preemption of local gun laws.

House Bill 2338 allows possession of a firearm on a public right of way adjacent to a school.

HB 2224 prohibits the state or any political subdivision from implementing an additional fee or other encumbrance on the lawful transfer of a firearm between two private parties.
Old June 20, 2016, 10:53 AM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

States will continue to polarize. Pure blue - tight controls. Red - loosing of controls. Purple - depends on how the demographics work out and the party numbers shake out.