The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Abishai

teach me how to choke !

hello everyone - i have an Rem. 870 express mag. (pump) probably the best shot gun ive ever owned. it came w/ two tubes and i bought another.

mod. cyl.
imp. cyl.
super full - hevi shot - steel or lead shot by Rem. (this one i purchesed)

I would like to be able to shoot 00buck through this gun.
Q. if so what choke should i use?
Q.2 ive heard some people say its not wise to shoot steel shot through some guns? i may shoot 2-3 boxes (not cases) a year. whats the scoop on that?
thanks all for all !!
Q.3 oh what about slugs? thanks again!

Last edited by Abishai; August 14, 2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: 3rd Q.
Old August 14, 2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Full-choke

If you are doing deer, I'm more partial to slugs the 00 or 000 shot. The slug will go out of an Imporved Cylinder just fine, and a smooth-bore 870 barrel won't be affected at all by it. As for the buckshot question...I don't use so I wouldn't know what to tell you to get the best results. I learned on slugs and that is what I'll prolly always use.

F-C
Old August 14, 2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Birdville2011

i just bought an 870 express and i was looking at remington's faq and they said that buckshot is best with mod.
Springfield 20ga (old)
Old August 14, 2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Abishai

thanks for the pointer

full-choke & birdvill2011, sure appreciate the advice. thanks for helping me!
Old August 14, 2007, 07:39 PM   #5
Full-choke

Anytime man, that's what these forums are for
Old August 14, 2007, 08:51 PM   #6
kozak6

As for your question about steel shot...

One interesting thing about shotguns is that really, they haven't changed that much in the last 100 years, and if they are well maintained, many of them can last that long. Hell, the first semiautomatic shotgun was invented in 1898.

So, there are a lot of old and perfectly serviceable shotguns out there.

Steel shot, on the other hand, is quite a bit newer. It's much harder than lead shot, and shotguns developed before the advent of steel shot simply weren't designed to handle it.

Shotguns made before the advent of steel shot had softer barrels since all they were intended to shoot was lead.

When steel shot is fired through such barrels, if the wad design allows the steel shot to contact the barrel, it can cause damage and undue wear. This isn't as much of a problem as it once was since modern plastic wads tend to encase the shot rather nicely.

And, if the choke is tight, since steel shot doesn't compress as gently as lead shot does, it can cause bulging and other similar problems.

However, with a modern shotgun, you shouldn't have any problem firing steel shot, especially with a choke tube specifically labeled for such.
Old August 14, 2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Abishai

thanks Kozak6

thanks for the history lesson & great info. I was a little concerned. I really do appreciate everyones help!!!! Thanks
Old August 16, 2007, 01:28 PM   #8
waterhouse

If you get a chance, take your gun to the range and see how it patterns. Some guns will pattern some loads better with mod., some better with IC.

It is usually pretty quick and easy to pattern buckshot too.
Old August 18, 2007, 09:30 PM   #9
Fat White Boy

I have a 12 gauge Remington 1100- I have never used anything but the improved cylinder choke. I take dove, quail, chukar(Out to 60+yds), pheasant, ducks & geese with this setup.
Old August 18, 2007, 10:10 PM   #10
Abishai

Fat White Boy

Hey, thanks for the choking tip ! Sounds like your smoke pipe really does well with the set-up you've got ! Whats the difference between an 1100 and a 870 ? What part of the country are you from? Thanks again

"Fire in the hole"