The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 4, 2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Steelers252006

Gun Show Eve!!

This is even better than Christmas Eve right now for me, no joke!! I keep saying last CCW question post and then down the chimney comes another. Ho, ho, ho.

Okay, corny, I know. I want to know what everybody's favorite CCW is to shoot accurately with the least amount of recoil. I don't care about caliber, brand, trigger pull, revolver, semi, none of that. I just want to know what people enjoy to pull out and shoot quickly and accurately. Notice I said ENJOY!! That means they don't leave with a throbbing hand or a full target with hardly a scratch.

This will be the last post I take in to consideration before tomorrow. Should the right deal come along, I will have my CCW in place in order to start practicing with before my permit comes in. Everyone wish me luck!! And thank you so very much for all your guidance. I've learned more about guns in the last month than I have in my 34 years leading up to this point. Every one of you has been nothing short of great!!
Old November 4, 2011, 03:52 PM   #2
BigJimP

For me - its a Wilson Combat 1911 - 5" gun - in 9mm. I shoot it a lot ...and other calibers in 1911's ...its the trigger pull on a well made 1911 that makes it great. That specific gun is about 6 yrs old now ..and I have well over 35,000 rds thru it now.

A close 2nd would be any number of S&W revolvers in .357 mag - in 4" barrels - model 19's, 66's or 27's ...all great guns. I like the older models ...and I put 200 rds a month thru most of my older revolvers...and I like them a lot !
Old November 4, 2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Steelers252006

I'm with you on the .357 four inch revolvers!!
Old November 4, 2011, 04:14 PM   #4
ScotchMan

I say this in all your threads: you should consider the possibility of going to the show and leaving empty-handed, or you will almost certainly end up with the wrong gun, the wrong price, or both!

You can order anything online, any time, for probably much less money, so by all means go, learn, hold, and negotiate, but don't feel like you have to buy something or you will probably regret it later.

Gun shows aren't known for their good selection or deals. Remember to have walk-away power.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 4, 2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Good luck!

I hope that you find an unbeatable deal, but (as ScotchMan noted) be prepared to walk away if necessary. I always try to go in with a specific target in mind, such as "I need to find X at $Y or below." If it ain't there, it ain't there.
Old November 4, 2011, 04:41 PM   #6
TxFlyFish

The best gunshow is gunbroker! You might not find what you want but one thing thats great at gunshow is that you can handle many different designs
Old November 4, 2011, 06:18 PM   #7
BigJimP

Gun shows are a Terrible Deal ....no way !!!

This was my find of the century a couple of weeks ago - at our big gunshow...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...8&d=1319646515

a S&W model 27-2 4" Nickel finish ....sellers asking price was $ 575 ...
A "FIST Inc" holster for a S&W N frame revolver -- $ 25
a finger groove S&W wood target grip for a K frame revolver $ 50 ...

( and I didn't find any of them until almost Noon - when the show opened at 8am - and thousands of guys passed up these deals ) !

There are good deals to be found out there - if you're patient !

If seller had asked as high as $ 900 on the 4" Nickel - I would have still bought it ....but I was very happy to meet his asking price on this N frame...and I've been looking for that gun ( in a dash 2 / and nickel ) for a long time ....at almost any price !!

Now on production guns ...yes, you have to know what you're buying ...but even at that - there are some dealers at my shows - where we know we can get good deals on Sigs, etc ...they kind of specialize.../ but as in all things - you have to know what you're buying ....and have some fun with it !
Old November 4, 2011, 06:20 PM   #8
C0untZer0

Going to a gun show on Sunday, I hope I'm not disapointed.
Old November 4, 2011, 06:25 PM   #9
AH.74

Have you actually shot any of the guns and/or calibers you are considering, or is this a crapshoot for you depending on what you find?

You really do sound as if you're flying by the seat of your pants and have not done enough homework, despite how much you think you've learned.

I do not mean to seem as if I'm trying to be hard on you, but you need to do things "smartly". Otherwise, as mentioned above, you risk not doing the right thing.
Old November 4, 2011, 06:49 PM   #10
DasGuy

You will totally regret an impulse buy.

Go there, handle some guns and go shoot what feels good in your hands. Then buy.

What is right to someone else, does not mean it will be right to you.
Old November 4, 2011, 07:52 PM   #11
orionengnr

To shoot and enjoy? A 5" 1911. A close second place is a Smith & Wesson revolver (.357 Mag or larger). But most people will not carry that size/weight of gun.

I guess I am not sure what you are asking here...most of your recent questions have been geared toward CCW. The most concealable handgun is not the one that is the most fun to shoot, and vice versa.

I think you need to evaluate your priorities, and figure out what is important. Then go out and shoot a couple of the finalists...and then go shopping.
Old November 4, 2011, 08:35 PM   #12
Steelers252006

No, your response is fair. Every gun I'm considering except for just a few recent ones I'm looking at I have handled, played with, and asked questions of. I CANNOT shoot them all as there just are not places around me that let you do that. There is a place that rents a few different type of guns to let you shoot with but not just any gun you want to shoot. I have shot a Glock 22 so understand the kick of the .40, of course my 686, and my .22. Yes, I'm new, so I'm trying to make the most informative decision I can. And no, believe me, I've looked at prices, and if they aren't better I ain't buying. I am not going to spend money to spend money; I'm looking for the right deal. Just excited because, well, it's FUN, and I may just find that deal I'm looking for. I am looking forward to it.
Old November 4, 2011, 08:41 PM   #13
Steelers252006

It was an honest question. I've come to the conclusion but most of these small carry guns aren't the ones you want to practice with at the range. Hey, if I could, I'd CCW my 686, maybe buy the snubby version, and enjoy the heck out of it. That would be my most FUN CCW gun, but it's not realistic. Just wondering if some really are as much a joy to shoot and practice with as it seems that the opinions vary and greatly on this subject. Bottom line is I want something that is CONCEALABLE and RELIABLE and that I can shoot ACCURATELY and am willing to put in the range time to achieve this. This is for self-defense only. But I would not object to actually having a little "fun" while practicing either...
Old November 4, 2011, 09:05 PM   #14
C0untZer0

Youtube is a great place to research too.

I've seen Carl Rohrbaugh shoot the R9 and make it look easy. There is a video out there of a guy shooting it and you can see it's punishing his hand.

When he's done he says "I'd rather shoot that Five Hundred Smith and Wesson."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZQLo1Zb8ss&feature=fvst